VQ35DE vs VQ35HR

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 04:30 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoooper
1) fuel cut is 7500 stock, you will not an cannot get 8k stock ECU style

2) the reason for upping the limiter is for revving there. the throttle body closing is not the reason, since it will not be closing at all, its not programmed into the ECU to start closing 500rpm before redline no matter what redline is

3) the throttle body closing thing is probly BS anyway, technosquare said that about the DE's and that was proven not to be true
Proven to be true?! The Throttle Bodys start to close near redline on the DE or the HR. THis is a known fact.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:43 AM
RBlover69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gsingh350Z
I did say $4,000 worth of bolt-ons. Don't push your luck, Nitrous is a whole different ball game.

Don't try to cast doubt on something.
doesnt matter 4000$ it can be done without a doubt your statement is flawed. Nitrous is a bolt on kit the lines etc. And with slicks plus cams and every bolt on with a tune. I see no reason why wouldnt you beat a HR.

My good friend has a HR

We race alot , alot of close races i do have a rev-up with MHFCs and soon to be exhaust but im at her door for the most part. My engine granted is a V2 engine from oil consumption but that has no baring on power my last engine dyno'd 251 i havent dyno'd this engine yet

revup
with a 1/2 spacer mrev2
osirus rev increase to the HRs redline
TD exhaust
lightened flywheel
4.0 gears
crawford headers
haltech tuned
JWT s7 cams
metallic hi flow cats
fluidampr pulley which i plan on getting
good set of pole postions tires

I dont see her standing a chance with a stock HR modded is a different story but the way my car pulls now i dont see it being any problem with those mods to destroy one on the road. Granted money vrs what you have ratio up there but ..i think where kinda delusional to think bolt on DE or revup Zs tuned especailly with ecus like haltech out which cant squeeze out almost everything ya got cannot beat HRs. really lol especially when in the HR forum owners are posting 14.0 time slips. You must not onyl have the engine my friend but the driver aswell.

Everyone knows the HR is the newer better motor but to say DEs or revups dont stand a chance....maybey you should race more. then mag or slip race.

You would be surprised what you can beat because someone cannot drive. I waxed a stillen Z stage 2 the other day and he swore i was running nitrous. I just have a strong motor thats all nothing special and plus stillen SC sucks ballz no top end at all where i walked him preety bad. All in all....until you have vids destroying bolt DEs left and right lets not flap.

Whats the point of having a z06 when your hitting 13. sec time slips lmao.

Last edited by RBlover69; 02-11-2008 at 06:08 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:37 AM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RBlover69
doesnt matter 4000$ it can be done without a doubt your statement is flawed. Nitrous is a bolt on kit the lines etc. And with slicks plus cams and every bolt on with a tune. I see no reason why wouldnt you beat a HR.

My good friend has a HR

We race alot , alot of close races i do have a rev-up with MHFCs and soon to be exhaust but im at her door for the most part. My engine granted is a V2 engine from oil consumption but that has no baring on power my last engine dyno'd 251 i havent dyno'd this engine yet

revup
with a 1/2 spacer mrev2
osirus rev increase to the HRs redline
TD exhaust
lightened flywheel
4.0 gears
crawford headers
haltech tuned
JWT s7 cams
metallic hi flow cats
fluidampr pulley which i plan on getting
good set of pole postions tires

I dont see her standing a chance with a stock HR modded is a different story but the way my car pulls now i dont see it being any problem with those mods to destroy one on the road. Granted money vrs what you have ratio up there but ..i think where kinda delusional to think bolt on DE or revup Zs tuned especailly with ecus like haltech out which cant squeeze out almost everything ya got cannot beat HRs. really lol especially when in the HR forum owners are posting 14.0 time slips. You must not onyl have the engine my friend but the driver aswell.

Everyone knows the HR is the newer better motor but to say DEs or revups dont stand a chance....maybey you should race more. then mag or slip race.

You would be surprised what you can beat because someone cannot drive. I waxed a stillen Z stage 2 the other day and he swore i was running nitrous. I just have a strong motor thats all nothing special and plus stillen SC sucks ballz no top end at all where i walked him preety bad. All in all....until you have vids destroying bolt DEs left and right lets not flap.

Whats the point of having a z06 when your hitting 13. sec time slips lmao.
Nitrous is a universal kit, its not a bolt on in the traditional meaning of the term. The term "bolt on" usually refers to any part specifically designed for a specific car. Not really trying to argue the logistics of the term bolt-on but I think everyone would agree that nitrous isn't included in the list of "bolt-on" parts available for a Z.

Your Z also has more than 4k worth of mods, going by vendor prices. Sure if you can source used parts for cheaper then the same 4k goes a little further, but I think he meant 4k as just going to a vendor and spending 4k. Also the 4.08 final drive will make any Z pull a lot faster. Even a stock DE would potentially beat out an HR with just the 4.08, probably more so the rev-up due to its higher redline. It's a discussion on the engines, and the nature of their power production and delivery, and not how they put it to the ground. The gearing goes a long way the more revs you have.

TK

Last edited by T_K; 02-11-2008 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:56 AM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by T_K
Nitrous is a universal kit, its not a bolt on in the traditional meaning of the term. The term "bolt on" usually refers to any part specifically designed for a specific car. Not really trying to argue the logistics of the term bolt-on but I think everyone would agree that nitrous isn't included in the list of "bolt-on" parts available for a Z.

Your Z also has more than 4k worth of mods, going by vendor prices. Sure if you can source used parts for cheaper then the same 4k goes a little further, but I think he meant 4k as just going to a vendor and spending 4k. Also the 4.08 final drive will make any Z pull a lot faster. Even a stock DE would potentially beat out an HR with just the 4.08, probably more so the rev-up due to its higher redline. It's a discussion on the engines, and the nature of their power production and delivery, and not how they put it to the ground. The gearing goes a long way the more revs you have.

TK
no prob, i just thought it was funny that by that mod list you would think a Stock HR Z had a chance. lol your second paragraph was well put.

Hey i understand bolt ons ...but he wasnt specific .lmao...in the world of mods theres a fine line between making sense and not. lol Agreed though its a no brainer that the HR is the better engine but the better modded car at the end of the day is gonna win.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:00 AM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by Sensi09
Besides 1/4 mile times and trap speeds, the HR is better all-around for everyday driving. Much more usable power through the rev-range, more convenient and easier overtaking and overall it just feels faster. Nothing dangerous, but I can pull of maneuvers on the highway that I probably wouldn't consider in a DE or rev-up engine.
this is possibly the funniest thing i have heard LMAO HAHAAHHAHAHHA someone put this in there sig.

you realize that the 06.5 Z have the same suspension as the 07s and 08s right LMAO and susupension wise beyond spring rates of the previous gens there almost null compared to the previous with disreguard to the nismo Z. Your engine has no merit on maneuvers you think you cannot pull off because of engine difference lmao. The torque on these engines wether it be DE DER OR HR all have sufficient torque to pull of the same manuevers almost identically. We all still have preety much a linear power band, its the way the Z was designed form start from finish in regaurds to the VQ from its french origins.

Last edited by RBlover69; 02-11-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:11 AM
T_K

Originally Posted by RBlover69
no prob, i just thought it was funny that by that mod list you would think a Stock HR Z had a chance. lol your second paragraph was well put.

Hey i understand bolt ons ...but he wasnt specific .lmao...in the world of mods theres a fine line between making sense and not. lol Agreed though its a no brainer that the HR is the better engine but the better modded car at the end of the day is gonna win.
Agreed. I still think the HR should have come with different gearing from the factory. At least a 3.7 or 3.9, the 4.0 might be pushing it due to marketing and gas mileage advertising. But with a 3.7, the effect on gas mileage would be minor, as would the gain in acceleration, but at least there would have been some gain due to gearing. This 1st gear going to 49-50mph is just ridiculous. Stock to stock, the HR doesn't really show its acceleration advantage until 60-70mph, with at the very least a 3.7, it would have been quite noticeable.

TK

Last edited by T_K; 02-11-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:56 AM
stylett9

Originally Posted by Hoooper
1) fuel cut is 7500 stock, you will not an cannot get 8k stock ECU style

2) the reason for upping the limiter is for revving there. the throttle body closing is not the reason, since it will not be closing at all, its not programmed into the ECU to start closing 500rpm before redline no matter what redline is

3) the throttle body closing thing is probly BS anyway, technosquare said that about the DE's and that was proven not to be true

I believe it's been verified by technosquare and sharif@forgedperformance that the throttle body does start to close at 7k, that way way you don't feel a harsh jerk to have the throttle bodies completely close at 7500.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Shadrackc

So is this a Nissan reflash that they will offer to owners? Just got a notice to bring my 07 in, can't remember for what, something that will take 3 hours and has to do with the clutch I think. Will check when I get home.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:02 AM
stylett9

Originally Posted by Shadrackc
So is this a Nissan reflash that they will offer to owners? Just got a notice to bring my 07 in, can't remember for what, something that will take 3 hours and has to do with the clutch I think. Will check when I get home.

no the reflash is an aftermarket tuning company that does not involve Nissan in any way.

Your notice is regarding the clutch master slave cylinder.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:14 AM
SniperHunter

The HR motor has created an all new gang of arrogance on this forum. It's rather annoying.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Peak350

Originally Posted by stylett9
I believe it's been verified by technosquare and sharif@forgedperformance that the throttle body does start to close at 7k, that way way you don't feel a harsh jerk to have the throttle bodies completely close at 7500.
Its less so you don't feel it, and more so there isn't a sudden change in loading on the connecting rods. If the rod goes from full compression force to full tensile force its going to have a lot more chance of failing under load. So to prevent that, Nissan makes it a soft redline and keeps it from being a "sudden" unloading of force on the bottom end.

I've had a couple friends throw rods from lifting off throttle before pushing the clutch in on boosted cars...it can be nasty.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Peak350

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
The HR motor has created an all new gang of arrogance on this forum. It's rather annoying.
Its not arrogance, it is a better motor. Those denying it are just saving face pointlessly.

Modded DE's have made the same or more power without FI, but thats with a lot of compromises, its hard to beat the HR in a factory level emissions/reliabile package with a DE.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:35 AM
stylett9

Originally Posted by Peak350
Its less so you don't feel it, and more so there isn't a sudden change in loading on the connecting rods. If the rod goes from full compression force to full tensile force its going to have a lot more chance of failing under load. So to prevent that, Nissan makes it a soft redline and keeps it from being a "sudden" unloading of force on the bottom end.

I've had a couple friends throw rods from lifting off throttle before pushing the clutch in on boosted cars...it can be nasty.

thanks for the clarification :-)

Not all of us are arrogant about the HR but i do admit, i've seen a few comments that come off like the DE is a piece of junk compared to the new HR in other threads.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:43 AM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
agreed, ....but then again i prefer the arogance when money is on a race. It helps alot lmao.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Shadrackc

The HR has also developed a whole bunch of defensive posturing by people who own previous models. Based on what I have read, most of the people with the HR are posting factual evidence. A lot of the DE people are are the ones making the cutting statements and trying to make those of us that bought recently sound like we wasted our money. That we should have purchased a used car and put the extra money towards upgrades. Maybe I'm a fool, but I could have saved 10K by purchasing a 2006. Now I don't profess to know as much as some of the experts on here, but Nissan advertises that 80% of the engine is different from 06 to 07. The 06 is probably the best of the breed when it comes to the DE, but would we not all accept that the HR is better than the DE stock? Sure. 10K sunk into the 06 would have made it faster, but the base engine is still not the base HR, no matter how much money you throw at it. I made the decision that I wanted Nissans latest at the time of purchase. Nothing wrong with the older version at all, just when you are spending a lot of money, you can make the decision on what you want. I won't be tweaking my car a lot, or modding it like crazy. I bought it with the intent to keep it pretty much stock with the exception of building in a car computer with wireless, gps, music, etc. I got lucky, the car I bought ended up being a showroom showpiece that had some mods done by the Nissan dealership, so they did the work and I picked up all the additional parts installed and covered by factory warranty, for 1500 on top of the regular price.
Perhaps a stosek wing, other than that, not much more I want to change.
This site has a few arrogant and unfriendly people who seem to want to make someone asking a question feel stupid. There are a lot of different guys wanting info on here, beginners to DOY experts. What some people forget is that getting used to how the forums work takes time, and some people do rush and not search first, etc. There is a nice way to tell them that keeps them on the site, and an ignorant way that makes them feel stupid and we lose another member.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:51 AM
onyxaltezza

Well now that Ive re-read this whole thread that I started, Ive noticed a few other things.

I guess .5 second advantage 1/4 mile time rated from the factory about the HR's is a considerable difference. I highly doubt with a better a driver in a stock DE against a crap driver in an HR, couldnt beat the HR.

We've already established that the HR is a newer, improved, and better internal'ed motor. We have also established that with just a few mods on the DE, it would be able to keep up with a stock HR.

On to the next point............

So we've heard talks to the HR having a better flowing head from the factory, enough so that aftermarket intakes wont even do much in terms of power gains. So the seems to be set.

Bottom end we've yet to see, but only time will tell when Greddy releases their TT kit to see if the internals will fold under stress like the DE that just hit 510whp.

Has anyone road raced an 07 or 08 yet? Does that extra 1000rpm give you any advantage(if you've driven a DE before)? Is thr torque difference really that noticeable?

-Aaron
Old 02-11-2008, 09:55 AM
stylett9

Originally Posted by onyxaltezza
Well now that Ive re-read this whole thread that I started, Ive noticed a few other things.

I guess .5 second advantage 1/4 mile time rated from the factory about the HR's is a considerable difference. I highly doubt with a better a driver in a stock DE against a crap driver in an HR, couldnt beat the HR.

We've already established that the HR is a newer, improved, and better internal'ed motor. We have also established that with just a few mods on the DE, it would be able to keep up with a stock HR.

So we've heard talks to the HR having a better flowing head from the factory, enough so that aftermarket intakes wont even do much in terms of power gains. So the seems to be set.

Bottom end we've yet to see, but only time will tell when Greddy releases their TT kit to see if the internals will fold under stress like the DE that just hit 510whp.

Has anyone road raced an 07 or 08 yet? Does that extra 1000rpm give you any advantage(if you've driven a DE before)? Is thr torque difference really that noticeable?

-Aaron

i believe a major benifit that the HR does a quicker quarter mile is because of the extra 500 RPM's. I haven't experianced this for myself but i believe you can stay in 3rd gear up till the end of the quarter mile, but the previous models might have required you to shift to 4th. Again i dont know this is a fact, I just read somewhere that because of the extra high redline, alot less shifting is required in drag racing and autocross.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Shadrackc

I'm interested in seeing what Greddy does with the TT and how the Z holds up. When the GT-R has 480HP and has the numbers it has, I'm curious why we would need a Z with more HP. Traction, and other areas must surely make a difference in overall performance when the 500HP line is hit.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:00 AM
T_K

Originally Posted by onyxaltezza

-Aaron
I haven't road raced it, but have autocrossed with an 07. I have no experience with a DE based Z, so can't speak for any differences. It's probably not as good a comparison as road racing due to the slower speeds of autocross, but with the HR's gearing being identical to previous models, I find that with the 7500 rpm redline, I can keep it in 1st gear up to medium speed courses, and on the slightly higher speed courses, I only dip into 2nd gear for 1000rpm or less.

TK
Old 02-11-2008, 10:13 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by stylett9
thanks for the clarification :-)

Not all of us are arrogant about the HR but i do admit, i've seen a few comments that come off like the DE is a piece of junk compared to the new HR in other threads.
As an owner of a DE revup I have no problem with HR owners saying it's a piece of junk bc it is with OC issues. Nissan is on their 2nd revised revup for replacements and those still have major OC issues. I'd give my left nut to have a HR in my 06 G35 6mt coupe. They even put the POS revup DE in 07 G35 coupes. I whole heartily agree that the HR is superior to the DE in stock to stock comparisons. Anyway...enjoy your HR's. I truly envy what generation VQ you own.

sry in jacking this thread....

Quick Reply: VQ35DE vs VQ35HR