Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Piggy back options for the HR

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Peak350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piggy back options for the HR

I know this has been asked *to an extent.* So I encourage you to put down the search banners - I did.

What I've found is that the HKS F-CON Pro is the only tuning option outside of reflash currently available for the HR's.

My question is simple - is it a compatibility issue between new sensors/DME controls on the HR, or is it simply no-one has wired a Utec, e-manage (blue or ultimate), etc. into the car.

I'm asking because it would be nice to have an NA tune on the car, and the gains from a car specific tune make it worth it to me to wire something in (after seeing technosquares gains).

I would probably get the reflash from them (for throttle response) then fine tune from the piggy back, also giving myself the option of tuning for nitrous of FI if I ever take that route.

Has anyone tried to get another piggy back to work unsuccessfully, or is there any reason I couldn't buy a utec/e-manage/etc. and get it to work on my car?
Old 03-29-2008, 12:36 PM
HR_Z-Ballz

+1 Good question, I was wondering that myself because wiring wouldn't be an issue...so what is?
Old 03-29-2008, 03:39 PM
hawaiianZ

haltech is developing one i think.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by hawaiianZ
haltech is developing one i think.
Right, but I would personally rather have a utec or e-manage myself, and I am VERY good with sorting through wiring. I have the Z's service manual for 2007 + I would rather pick up a used piggyback and wire it in.

I am going to call around in a couple weeks and if I hear nothing discouraging once I get my pickup on the road this will be my project (to get the Z running a tune off a piggyback).

Once thats done I can throw a nitrous kit on and see what the car will run
Old 03-29-2008, 05:32 PM
GodSendsDeath

I think Forged posted something about this a while ago, hate to say it but search. There was a thread about a engine tear down and Forged peeps were saying something about this.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Peak350

Thanks, I actually hadn't seen that.

https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...81&postcount=1

Bullet #8. It still leaves my question of "has anyone tried it yet." But if I can pick a Utec up and wire it in this summer that would be great .
Old 03-29-2008, 10:48 PM
toples z

why this summer? do it now and give us an update. lol
Old 03-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Peak350

Originally Posted by toples z
why this summer? do it now and give us an update. lol
My schedule right now:
Graduate May 2
Hopeful house closing May 5
New Job May 16
Fixed pickup and on the road May 30

So I can't really put the car in the garage and under the knife until then.

The actual wiring will be quite a nightmare I'm sure so I want to take my time. It also gives Greddy 2 more months to put the harness together if they are going to release one for the e-manage before their turbo kit. Still rather have the utec though.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:26 AM
shadykilla717

Originally Posted by Peak350
My schedule right now:
Graduate May 2
Hopeful house closing May 5
New Job May 16
Fixed pickup and on the road May 30

So I can't really put the car in the garage and under the knife until then.

The actual wiring will be quite a nightmare I'm sure so I want to take my time. It also gives Greddy 2 more months to put the harness together if they are going to release one for the e-manage before their turbo kit. Still rather have the utec though.
See that makes sense.. Wouldn't you think greddy would have some kinda of emange released before or with their turbo?? They wouldn't put out the turbo before the emanage. That be dumb. So I guess expect it at the turbo's release date the latest??
Old 03-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Peak350

Originally Posted by shadykilla717
See that makes sense.. Wouldn't you think greddy would have some kinda of emange released before or with their turbo?? They wouldn't put out the turbo before the emanage. That be dumb. So I guess expect it at the turbo's release date the latest??
I figure they will. Before buying anything I'd be making a few contacts, but I like actually having a half semblance of what I'm talking about when I ask a tuner or tuning company a question so I don't look completely retarded.

edit - I'm noticing that almost nothing short of 2 grand is controlling the valve timing, is this to be expected? Has no-one seen much gain (esp. boosted) from playing with the valve timing on the Z?

Last edited by Peak350; 03-30-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:37 PM
nareg

the 07 greddy tt z uses an emanage ultimate so they have done it before, i guess it will work...
Old 03-31-2008, 03:53 PM
JOEGYVER

Originally Posted by Peak350
I figure they will. Before buying anything I'd be making a few contacts, but I like actually having a half semblance of what I'm talking about when I ask a tuner or tuning company a question so I don't look completely retarded.

edit - I'm noticing that almost nothing short of 2 grand is controlling the valve timing, is this to be expected? Has no-one seen much gain (esp. boosted) from playing with the valve timing on the Z?
I've been wondering the same question for a year now, surely some of these serious tuners have experimented on the dyno with the valve overlap with the few available units that have valve manipulation control, the celi's loved VVTL-i tweaks! Why is the Nissan system so much more costly to be tuning capable, demand only?
Old 03-31-2008, 03:57 PM
App6MT

Why the hell would you want the Utec or Emanage over Haltech?
Old 03-31-2008, 04:02 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by App6MT
Why the hell would you want the Utec or Emanage over Haltech?
Probably because they are a third of the price? I really cant think of any other reason.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:21 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
Probably because they are a third of the price? I really cant think of any other reason.
Because they are cheaper and more shops that I would trust my car with to get tuned have had extensive experience (and thus base maps) on them.

The widespread availability and high end options for a low cost is a perk.

The valve timing is the only drawback to me, I'd rather buy a unit capable of wiring as a piggyback AND of controlling the valve timing.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:23 AM
JOEGYVER

I wonder if you could make a power enterprise camcon work for valve timing from either a toyota or scooby? I don't have the Z shop manual, so I could not even begin to take this project on...
Old 04-01-2008, 06:48 AM
Peak350

Originally Posted by JOEGYVER
I wonder if you could make a power enterprise camcon work for valve timing from either a toyota or scooby? I don't have the Z shop manual, so I could not even begin to take this project on...
http://pdftown.com/PDF-Nissan-Z350-2...ce-Manual.html

Dunno how long it will stay up, but the password is listed and it seems complete
Old 04-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Peak350

From their site "it can be applied to V-engines by use of two CAMCONs, one on each bank."

I dunno about using 2 of them. There is always the v-manage coupled with either an e-manage ultimate, utec, or fcon-pro.

Most people hadn't been running a v-manage on earlier Z's because of reflash tuning availability. I'd personally rather run the v-manage given instant changes...
Old 04-01-2008, 02:56 PM
JOEGYVER

download in progress, thanks! I am unfamiliar with the V manage, I'll read up on it tonight on mohdparts links tonight. I think I am done doing the waiting game...
Old 04-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by JOEGYVER
download in progress, thanks! I am unfamiliar with the V manage, I'll read up on it tonight on mohdparts links tonight. I think I am done doing the waiting game...
I dunno that the cam stuff is necessary, or that any of these work for sure, but I figure I can get them used or on ebay for a cheap enough price that it wouldn't be a big deal if I had to resell them.

Quick Reply: Piggy back options for the HR