Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Stillen HR Header Defect

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 05:54 PM
A.H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are more than welcome for teh Bolt on's I have tested out. It's my pleasure

Now considering a replacement header. You wouldnt' have to wait months for a new header. As soon as I can take my car in, they will create a new header within two days and build the new jigs(if they believe this is ahppening with all their headers and not jsut mine). After they have jigs you can get your header within a week at your front door. But what we have to do is call Kyle Millen tomarrow and all complain about this problem. If he gets at least us three calling abou the same defect he will have to know it's real and not just one fluke. ANd as far as Justin @ Stillen goes. He is proabbly the worst guy there. Why woudl u hire someone to work in customer service that doens't knwo what going on with their products. He assured me there was no defect when Kyle told me he was well aware of it....

EDIT: Do not talk to anyone but Kyle Millen. They dont' ahve the power to do anything. His email is kmillen@stillen.com
Old 10-05-2008, 07:24 PM
hiz-n-herz

Good to know. Too bad. Stillen is known for quality products. If they don't recall and redesign this, I'll steer clear of them. This is BS. So they don't even try to install one on an actual car as part of their R&D? What kind of gains do they quote without ever doing an actual install? Posers! Maybe Pacesetter has better fitment.

Stillen--><-- OP

Last edited by hiz-n-herz; 10-05-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:50 PM
A.H

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
Good to know. Too bad. Stillen is known for quality products. If they don't recall and redesign this, I'll steer clear of them. This is BS. So they don't even try to install one on an actual car as part of their R&D? What kind of gains do they quote without ever doing an actual install? Posers! Maybe Pacesetter has better fitment.

Stillen--><-- OP
I like the icon lol. They actually never did make a quote for WHP gains on the HR they just used the DE numbers And your correct, for the first version all they had to do was put it on a car and when they tried to turn out of the lift it would have hit and that would be teh sign to redesign....
Old 10-06-2008, 11:15 AM
vtchang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did any of you guys wrap the nearby hoses and pipes? I wrapped everything with http://www.designengineering.com/pro...sp?m=sp&pid=30 but smelled some funk on my way into work.

I was thinking of ordering either http://www.jegs.com/p/Thermo+Tec/857485/10002/-1
or http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/1130487/10002/-1

Does anybody have experience with those products or is using something else?

But what we have to do is call Kyle Millen tomarrow and all complain about this problem. If he gets at least us three calling abou the same defect he will have to know it's real and not just one fluke.
3 or 4 way call? lets coordinate
Old 10-06-2008, 05:15 PM
A.H

Originally Posted by vtchang
Did any of you guys wrap the nearby hoses and pipes? I wrapped everything with http://www.designengineering.com/pro...sp?m=sp&pid=30 but smelled some funk on my way into work.

I was thinking of ordering either http://www.jegs.com/p/Thermo+Tec/857485/10002/-1
or http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/1130487/10002/-1

Does anybody have experience with those products or is using something else?

3 or 4 way call? lets coordinate
Right when i got home I called kyle. Took me about 4 days calling 3-5 times a day but I finally got a hold of him. He is a very good guy and is again helping me with this problem. He todl me that he has these header on a fellow employee's car and he reguarly tracks his Z meaning that he shoudl ahve experinced the same probelm we all have. Anyway after I sent teh pictures to Kyle last week he handed them down to his engineers in R & D and they are working on a fix as we speak. They have having teh local nissan dealer bring down 2 cars to do more research on this problem since their company car has "no" problems. You guys should also call him and push him to work faster so we can get this resolved. I have even offered to bring down my car on thursday or friday to use my car for testing and he told me he will get back to me on that toamrrow morning. Updates to come....
Old 10-06-2008, 07:30 PM
NuVon

I emailed Kyle some pictures today. He said he already forwarded them to their R&D department, and he will get this issue resolve ASAP. Lets hope so....
Ya, I did have smoke coming out of the engine (the driver side) as soon as I started my car right after the installation; this is actually one of the issues that I was going to ask you guys. I quickly turned it off and went to check. Everything seems fine. That is exactly what I have in mind, as vtchang pointed out, wrap all the hoses and wires in "cool tape" The heat from this header is getting me really worried!!!! More than anything else!!! I don't want my car to burn to ashes! Besides all those "fire sleeves", I am going to pull all the hoses and wires away from the header (as far as it can be stretched).
Old 10-06-2008, 07:39 PM
A.H

What version do you have. My 304 stainless version seems to be fine. Right when i started it up after install I also got this smoke but thats onyl becaseu the header was new, casue after 5 min of idleing it went away and has stayed away
Old 10-07-2008, 12:50 AM
Pokémon

That 'smoke' you speak of it just grease from your hands, it's normal.

I'm interested in hearing more about how you guys get this situated. Keep us updated!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:00 AM
vtchang

What version do you have. My 304 stainless version seems to be fine. Right when i started it up after install I also got this smoke but thats onyl becaseu the header was new, casue after 5 min of idleing it went away and has stayed away
+1 Don't worry about the initial smoke.

Besides all those "fire sleeves", I am going to pull all the hoses and wires away from the header (as far as it can be stretched).
I have yet to measure out exactly how much of what diameter sleeve I need. Let me know if you already have done so.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:13 AM
vtchang

6) I may be mistaken, but the Stillen headers are slightly shorter than the stock ones. I had to stretch the Y pipe to meet the cats, which inadvertently caused the end of the mid pipe to lower a few inches. Now, the mid pipe will hit the chassis's under brace . I am going to find some exhaust wrap to pad the pipe so it doesn't send a chatter through the body. Unless somebody else can think of a better idea other than raising the muffler.
Just in case anybody was wondering, I fixed the chatter by raising the mid pipe with kartboy exhaust hangers.

http://www.kartboy.com/basket/catalo...y_class=KB-011

I have 3 extras, so if you need one, i'll send you one for a few bucks.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:21 AM
NuVon

I don't know what version I got, but I received mine 3 weeks ago and didn't have time to install until now. I did figure the smoke is from the header being new, but the wires and hoses are too close to the header got me worry. From the design of the header, one of the tube on the header stick out too much, too close to one of the wires and hoses. I didn't really measure the thickness of those wires yet, but I am going to get a 2 inch sleeves. I could be wrong though! Sucks....! Winter is almost here. The weather has been really nice out there for the last few days, and I don't get to drive my car....
Old 10-08-2008, 04:51 PM
A.H

Update: Kyke wanted me to bring down my car so they could go back to the drawing board and come up with a fix but my front bumper is off the car cause I shipped my headlights to Cincity. So it's going to take longer for this fix to come out. Hopefully this new version will be flawless
Old 10-08-2008, 07:29 PM
NuVon

Hey Arsh, I got an email from Kyle today saying they will be getting another car for inspection on Friday. I thought could it by you? Yes it was. Sorry to hear your bumper is off, but I hope everything is fine.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:31 AM
vtchang

Im glad Kyle is hearing you out and will fix it. It gives us non-local people hope.

I took the car out earlier today to do some "testing" and found that even with a shaved knuckle and bolt, the coupler will still rub. The steering locked up twice when I took a 30 mph hard right (70 - 80 degrees). I was hoping the modified coupler would be good enough but clearly isn't.

Keep us updated Arsh.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:47 AM
A.H

Ok you guys. Toamrrow woudl be the only day I could go in for the next month. So i'm having MyFirst06350z(Brian), probabaly the nicest guy ever, put my bumper back on today so i can make the drive over the Stillen tomarrow. This will dramatically speed up the process of a newly revised header by at least 3 fold. Really want this situation done with so i can actually drive my car how I like it and not be scared cause a right turn is coming up....God I hope this is worth it

-Arsh
Old 10-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Pokémon

Good luck Arsh, hope it turns out well. Keep us updated!
Old 10-11-2008, 12:52 AM
A.H

Came back from stillen and actually had steve millen look at my car and help his engineers come up with a fix. They assured me that they will be redoing the headers and they now have a new design and jsut need to redo jigs and produce everything. And they shaved down the knuckle for the time being and to be honest it really didn't help much because on a canyon on the way home it still hit.....And Steve liked how my car made similiar power NA to an 03 Stillen 350z on 7 psi of boost So all in all a very positive day at Stillen and Kyle will be getting in toouch with me when they get this new header out, estimated from 1-2 weeks.

-Arsh
Old 10-11-2008, 05:24 AM
kramykram

Good news to hear arsh.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:52 AM
NuVon

Originally Posted by A.H
Came back from stillen and actually had steve millen look at my car and help his engineers come up with a fix. They assured me that they will be redoing the headers and they now have a new design and jsut need to redo jigs and produce everything. And they shaved down the knuckle for the time being and to be honest it really didn't help much because on a canyon on the way home it still hit.....And Steve liked how my car made similiar power NA to an 03 Stillen 350z on 7 psi of boost So all in all a very positive day at Stillen and Kyle will be getting in toouch with me when they get this new header out, estimated from 1-2 weeks.

-Arsh
Thanks for the update, Arsh! I wonder if they are going to do a dyno on this coming new header before final release. I hope they won't get this issue fixed but the performance degraded.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:36 PM
infinite

Originally Posted by NuVon
Thanks for the update, Arsh! I wonder if they are going to do a dyno on this coming new header before final release. I hope they won't get this issue fixed but the performance degraded.
I hope it improves. I may be looking to get my valvebody, headers (if they give good gains), and transmission cooler next year.

Quick Reply: Stillen HR Header Defect