Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Stillen HR Header Defect

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:05 AM
A.H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stillen HR Header Defect

Finally after about 4 months of waiting to install my headers, i ran into a problem. Fast Intentions does the install and had no problems till Tony pulls the car off the lift. As he is turning the wheel it makes a terrible sound and he can't turn the wheel any further without making any continual sounds. Put it on the lift and we find that stillen made a mistake while building the header. The driver side header is the one that caused problems. The problem was that the header tubing was way to close to the stering shaft. On the bottom of the steering shaft, the knuckle hits against teh header. And in the pic you can see its touching and it gets really bad when you turn the wheel cause that bolt in the pic rotates 360 degrees and when it does it full on hits the header and hard. Problem is that i bought one of the first ones and apprently in Stillen's jigs for these they didn't play into account the sterring shaft in the jigs which should have been caught in the R&D department. Anyway i just called them and they are well aware of this problem and are goign to ship out a new header. I want them to pay for the labor charge to install that side because it sure isn't my fault and i need teh rest of the money to pay for the dynos whcih stillen might in fact use. They said for me to come down and they will do it but i don't want to drive the car in that condition. Fast intentions is sending a statement for install and then we'll see what stillen does. I'm clearly not too happy because i buy the expensive quality stuff so this does not happen. Hopefully i can get these done by next tuesday cause my dyno is on Wednesday to see if these things actaully gain power. Did hear the car turn on and my impressions of the sound are aggressive. Not so much of the exhaust note(didn't get much louder if at all) but the engine noise. Updates to come....

-Arsh

Last edited by A.H; 08-14-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:29 AM
warmmilk

that blows, hopefully they refund u for the labor
Old 08-14-2008, 12:35 PM
350Zimo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that definitely sucks. I was looking at their headers recently, but am not going to anymore. Good luck bro, i hope you resolve that issue.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:56 PM
A.H

Here's an update. I'm actually happy that I buy most of my thigns with stillen becasue of there reputation and customer service. Kyle Millen was more than eager to help me out with my problem and is working on a solution as we speak. Hopefully I can get the money for the labor so we can finally get these dyno results out. And if anyone is interested in teh headers after my dyno sheets come out I can assure you that this problem was fixed as soon as it erupted 3 months ago. I just didnt' encounter it till i installed them. Anyway waiiting word from Kyle so i can get these installed with some initial impressions and sound clips... I have a good feeling about this
Old 08-14-2008, 03:08 PM
vnarang

Damn man, that is COMPLETELY unfair. You have been entirely patient, and now this happens. If I was in your place, I woulda been really pissed off at this. Props for staying patient, and I hope everything works out.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:11 PM
A.H

Final Update......KYLE MILLEN @ STILLEN is awsome. Very nice guy and my thoughts on teh situation were correct. They are sending the new header along with a check for install directly to Fast Intentions and it should be arriving toamrrow. Very good customer service once you talk to the right guy. I was starting to doubt stillen but I am very satisfied with their service
Old 08-14-2008, 05:18 PM
reserved

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear Stillen is taking care of you!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2008, 05:23 PM
A.H

Im glad too. Now tony has to unexpected try to install these headers and get my wheels swapped back from OEM in time for my dyno on wednesday. Very busy man but i'm hoping he can psh some other things out fo the way and get me on my way to technosquare. Pictures and soundclips will come after the dyno on wednesday. Can't wait for the results
Old 08-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Buddy Revell

Originally Posted by A.H
Final Update......KYLE MILLEN @ STILLEN is awsome. Very nice guy and my thoughts on teh situation were correct. They are sending the new header along with a check for install directly to Fast Intentions and it should be arriving toamrrow. Very good customer service once you talk to the right guy. I was starting to doubt stillen but I am very satisfied with their service
Agreed. Whenever I've dealt with Kyle, the customer service has been absolutely top notch. Glad your situation was resolved. Looking forward to seeing your dynos.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:42 PM
infinite

Is there a big difference in the stock design from the stillen headers? do you have any pictures that show the stock headers, next to the stillen headers? I have no clue what the stock headers look like out of the car
Old 08-14-2008, 10:08 PM
A.H

yes I do have pics but only one. I would have taken better ones but fast intentions only took only one. Updates to come....
Old 08-14-2008, 10:15 PM
A.H

yes I do have pics but only one. I would have taken better ones but fast intentions only took only one. Updates to come....
Old 08-19-2008, 06:56 AM
asmvp84

man glad to hear your problem got resolved A+ for stillen taking the correct action to fix the problem...can't wait to see the dyno results for the headers!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:00 AM
MCDesign

Originally Posted by asmvp84
man glad to hear your problem got resolved A+ for stillen taking the correct action to fix the problem...can't wait to see the dyno results for the headers!!!
+1 DYNO SHEET!!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:43 AM
A.H

Originally Posted by asmvp84
So even with this header hitting the kncukle i still had to drive my car to swap wheels my friend cause his fender wsa eating my tires. And in the process i might have tested teh accleration a bit Anyway, the car itself really did not get much louder at all. And from my little test drive I really felt a decent amount of power increase in the midrange and top end. My car will have the swapped out header today and tomarrow is the official dyno at technosquare for these headers. Dyno sheets will be up as soon as I get back from technosquare which all depends on how the freeway of hell(405) is going to act. Results to soon follow
Old 08-19-2008, 11:43 AM
asmvp84

Man im excited for you to see the results
Old 08-19-2008, 02:17 PM
KGsZ

Oh wow man after all that your still good lol.
Hope everything goes well. and thanks for all your hard work to prove these products right or wrong.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:52 PM
Sergio07350Z

Sweet glad everything is going great!
Remember to make a video!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:41 PM
sv06mnp

Hey A.H can you tell me the problem with these headers is for all their production or the problem was only for your headers,because i have allready bought the headers and wanted to install them these days but don't really know if that is a good ideea anymore?Thank's in advance.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Crom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alot of the times esp. in FI situations the knuckle 's edge is grinded down to clear...not sure if that was a option,

Quick Reply: Stillen HR Header Defect