Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Cobb AP

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Peak350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carltonbadman
So no, improvement in throttle response or change to rev limit ? Would you say it was worth it ?
Still no response, and given the cost...not without better maps.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just installed mine - stage 2. NO REAL DYNO YET !

as of now i have no comment. i need more time with this.

i do love the data displays. a/f , oil temp, coolant temp.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by Tac-M
i just installed mine - stage 2. NO REAL DYNO YET !

as of now i have no comment. i need more time with this.

i do love the data displays. a/f , oil temp, coolant temp.
Tell me if you notice wheel hop being worse.

Try running in stock mode doing the same thing 5 times, count how many times you get wheel hop, then how severe (subjectively rate). Do the same in stage 1 or 2. Tell me your results.

If you find the same thing I did, then its definitely not in my head.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Pokémon

I just got my AP today and got to play with the MAPS for a few; including stage 2+.

Not much I can really say until I slap on my Stillen headers and dyno it up.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Peak350

Well, Ive heard nothing back and am actually pretty pissed. The driveability of the car us gone with the software. They only changed the maps at full throttle/full load. So if your tires slip at all the car goes into and does not recover from wheelhop. I strongly discourage anyone from buying this product until Cobb addresses this. I have removed it from my car and feel as though I have wasted hundreds of dollars.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:18 AM
KS0385

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Peak350
Well, Ive heard nothing back and am actually pretty pissed. The driveability of the car us gone with the software. They only changed the maps at full throttle/full load. So if your tires slip at all the car goes into and does not recover from wheelhop. I strongly discourage anyone from buying this product until Cobb addresses this. I have removed it from my car and feel as though I have wasted hundreds of dollars.
Thank you very much for the info
Old 12-06-2008, 09:18 AM
350ZPK

Sad to hear
Old 12-06-2008, 09:23 AM
A.H

Damn that sucks. It's the worst feeling ever when you spend money on a part and are completly unsatisfied Hope everything works out in the end
Old 12-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Peak350

It was bad when I had trouble running 13's at the track without the stock software put back in. The drivability was absolutely terrible. For two e-mails to go unanswered is also blatantly unnacceptable.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:13 PM
A.H

It was bad when I had trouble running 13's at the track without the stock software put back in. The drivability was absolutely terrible. For two e-mails to go unanswered is also blatantly unnacceptable.
Wow so your not saying that the gains aren't as good as they could be, but that the stock programming is more responsive
Old 12-06-2008, 01:29 PM
nipponpower

start a seperate thread...so the rep for cobb can see this...
Old 12-06-2008, 01:44 PM
OzzyRulez

Wow man that blows. Your times did improve a lot going from the Cobb tuning to the stock tuning that day at the track. For the 600+ dollars they want for these things its totally unacceptable. Not answering emails is pretty crappy to. Not a good way to keep and get new customers that's for sure. I was thinking about getting one of these but now I know better. Thanks a ton, and sorry you had to get the shaft on it.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:49 PM
infinite

that really blows
Old 12-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by A.H
Wow so your not saying that the gains aren't as good as they could be, but that the stock programming is more responsive
Its not so much responsiveness, but without getting too technical I'll try to explain this as best I understand.

Most modern drive-by-wire cars have ECU's that think a little differently than we were used to seeing. Instead of thinking of the gas pedal input as throttle request, it thinks of it as a % of possible torque request. Meaning that the engine tries to produce the percentage of torque it is able to given acceleration, gearing, RPM, etc. The way these maps are put together I don't completely understand, but it makes tuning (especially in ECU FI) a lot more difficult if you want to tune for smoothness and on/partial/off throttle modulation.

I picked up trap speed, so I know that the tuning made power, but I lost drivability, because when I would launch the ECU would see full load, I'd be at partial throttle, but it saw the availability of full torque output. I'd get to full throttle and the tires would begin to slip (error on my part), instead of the throttle bodies staying open they shut (engine accelerated quickly and now usable torque has dropped). The tires regrab, the usable torque (calculated load in the AP) spikes upwards, and so does the power.

Nissan did a much better job of ensuring these transitions were smooth, by simply tuning the top few % of a map parameter you destroy the smoothness needed for drag racing, autocrossing, road course racing, etc.

I've seen this very first hand in a friends car who lost time at sebring going from stock to supercharged (twin screw) with 60% more power at the wheels, but no ability to modulate the throttle in corners. This is less dramatic, but more annoying.

Originally Posted by nipponpower
start a seperate thread...so the rep for cobb can see this...
Why wouldn't the rep see this thread? I actually had hoped a rep would post in here to give me an impression BEFORE I purchased.

Originally Posted by OzzyRulez
Wow man that blows. Your times did improve a lot going from the Cobb tuning to the stock tuning that day at the track. For the 600+ dollars they want for these things its totally unacceptable. Not answering emails is pretty crappy to. Not a good way to keep and get new customers that's for sure. I was thinking about getting one of these but now I know better. Thanks a ton, and sorry you had to get the shaft on it.
Yeah, wait for Uprev to come out with something or talk with tadashi. I certainly wish I had.

And BTW, got the Avic in, the GPS sits right below the triple cluster like we had thought, its the only logical spot inside the dash. Now to get a backup camera installed and wait for PAC to come out with a SWI that works 100% with the avic.

Originally Posted by infinite
that really blows
Yeah, really wishing the vendor I bought it from hadn't had good service, I feel bad dragging him down into stuff like this. If I'd bought direct I'd just complain to Amex.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Tac-M

peak, i am still on the fence, it is cold and rainy here , so i had no time to really lay in to it yet. i do think the car has more tq in the mid range, thus making it better on the street. i also had a problem with the sputtering during warm-up and that is now 100 % gone. Also, the most important thing about ap is that it is tunable and upgradable. A flash form TS is 500 and that is for 1 map 1 time. ap has 3 maps and a custom tuning ability. And yes it has some other useful features. So, I’d say give it more time and maybe a custom tune or an updated map will solve your issue .
Old 12-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Peak350

peak, i am still on the fence, it is cold and rainy here , so i had no time to really lay in to it yet. i do think the car has more tq in the mid range, thus making it better on the street. i also had a problem with the sputtering during warm-up and that is now 100 % gone. Also, the most important thing about ap is that it is tunable and upgradable. A flash form TS is 500 and that is for 1 map 1 time. ap has 3 maps and a custom tuning ability. And yes it has some other useful features. So, I’d say give it more time and maybe a custom tune or an updated map will solve your issue .
That's the reason I gave them over two weeks to respond to my request for either an explanation to why the tuning seemed to be causing the issues I was having, or even (as I had hoped) a map that would have partial throttle tuning changes made. I don't think the partial throttle tuning stuff is TOO hard to do. My buddies car needed 200 hours on the dyno for preliminary tune. 20 hours to tune all partial throttle and load conditions.

If they had simply acknowledged that what I felt was causing the issue was, or said they would look into it (and truly did) I would have written that and not been so strong in my condemnation.

I want tuning, I truly would like software that raises the rev limit, that changes throttle response, and that makes power via fuel trimming. I assumed that these maps would be "preliminary" and that they were fuel trimming maps only (or mostly). That was ok with me because of the user-reflash, and the availability for new maps to simply be e-mailed. But without ANY response from Cobb I am left feeling unhappy.

3 maps does me no good if none of them are good maps. The additional features are nice, again, why I sprung for the Cobb over a TS reflash.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Tac-M

just fyi, guys @ cobb are not doing too good right now, but if you go here you’ll see that they are working to help us as much as they can.

http://forums.cobbtuning.com/forums/...ad.php?t=44958
Old 12-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Morris

So, custom tuning is now available for the AP on an HR?

Old 12-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Tac-M

very soon. forged will almost certainly be the first in the SE
Old 12-08-2008, 04:27 AM
OzzyRulez

Yeah, wait for Uprev to come out with something or talk with tadashi. I certainly wish I had.

And BTW, got the Avic in, the GPS sits right below the triple cluster like we had thought, its the only logical spot inside the dash. Now to get a backup camera installed and wait for PAC to come out with a SWI that works 100% with the avic.
Sweet, how you liking the Avic? I figured the GPS was around there somewhere, good to know because that's probably where they stuck mine.

Is Uprev going to have the features that the Cobb has? That was one thing I really liked about he Cobb, the data monitoring and code clearing features.

Quick Reply: Cobb AP