Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Cobb AP

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:29 AM
Peak350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobb AP

So as I really like the ability to change maps out myself without shipping my ECU 3000 miles one way (and thus having an immobile car for at least 3 days) I am tempted by the AP. However, I haven't seen a single review of it, or any dyno charts other than the one Cobb posted, which looks....less like a dyno than most I've seen (not saying its not accurate, but I'd like to see unbiased reviews if I can).

Has anyone used it (on an HR, other models need not apply)?
Any downsides anyone sees?
Old 11-04-2008, 07:51 AM
vnarang

+1 also curious
Old 11-04-2008, 07:57 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't think they will gain traction given UpRev's superior product offerings for this market.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Peak350

Originally Posted by rcdash
I don't think they will gain traction given UpRev's superior product offerings for this market.
Uprev doesn't offer anything for the HR so I think they will.

The other choice is a technosquare reflash.

I don't like having to mail off my ECU, nor do I like being locked into one map. I've been waiting to see how the AP performed and just haven't seen anything. I was thinking it would be a good early christmas present to myself if the maps perform comparably to the TS reflash.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:17 AM
350z 6spd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+2. If this will yield the same results on independent dynos as the technosquare I would definitely get this for the same reasons as peak350.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:10 AM
redline06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does cobb increase redline and remove speed governer like TS?
Old 11-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by redline06
does cobb increase redline and remove speed governer like TS?
I'm pretty sure they have the ability, and in the DE's they did.

Stage I was stock redline and Stage II was bumped redline (again referring to the DE's). The page with the maps has notes saying "kinda" what each map does, but the page is dead for stage II on the HR.

http://www.accessecu.com/accessport/nissan/350Z.html

I'm guessing that stage I is a "safe" stage, and II is an "aggressive" stage. So I'd run "I" daily and "II" at the track more or less.

Last edited by Peak350; 11-04-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:17 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It just came out like 2 weeks ago, thats why you havent seen results of it yet, I would like to get it myself, but for around the same price the uprev sounds like a much better option for me, only because the cobb can only be tuned by authorized cobb tuners( of which non are on the east coast).
Old 11-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
It just came out like 2 weeks ago, thats why you havent seen results of it yet, I would like to get it myself, but for around the same price the uprev sounds like a much better option for me, only because the cobb can only be tuned by authorized cobb tuners( of which non are on the east coast).
Can't the TS only be tuned by TS, which is located in Cali? Regardless the cost of a custom tune for 5 hp isn't worth it to me, getting the AFR's more in line will give better economy AND better performance. I'm just looking for that extra little hidden power.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:37 PM
0jiggy0

I wasnt refering to the ts for tuning, i meant the uprev osiris which you can get in different lvls, one including an end user tuning version. Offtopic, fantastic stock time btw.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Peak350

I wasnt refering to the ts for tuning, i meant the uprev osiris which you can get in different lvls, one including an end user tuning version. Offtopic, fantastic stock time btw.
Excuse my complete and utter blindness there. Uprev doesn't have cipher out for the HR, and won't for a while (last I'd seen) so its not really an option I'm considering right now.

And thanks, Veetec is starting to make me look bad running these great times.

Last edited by Peak350; 11-04-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:39 PM
sbZenth

i also want to see some 3rd party dynos.

Also, anyone know if this AP can get protuned like the rest? Are there any certified tuners around here?
Old 11-04-2008, 06:41 PM
quidproquo
Need a Tune!!!

I understand a DE equiped Z is going to be testing the Cobb AP, and an article will be released in the next Nissan Sport Magazine. I'm hoping this works out, and looking forward to the 3rd party results.

If any HR Z has contacts at Nissan Sport Mag, maybe you can get included in the test for the article.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:22 PM
hiz-n-herz

You'd think Cobb would contact one of us HR owners who have expressed interest in their product and offered a discounted product in return for an independent dyno and review. Like Motordyne did with their mrev2 lower collector and spacer back in the day.

Maybe they are not that confident in their product without a custom dyno-tune to go with it...
Old 11-05-2008, 07:31 AM
0jiggy0

Originally Posted by Peak350
Excuse my complete and utter blindness there. Uprev doesn't have cipher out for the HR, and won't for a while (last I'd seen) so its not really an option I'm considering right now.

And thanks, Veetec is starting to make me look bad running these great times.
Ya sorry, i must have missed the urgency of you looking for an option. As it is right now id probly get the cobb. But with the limit of the options atm, i would hate to buy it and then in a month something better such as the uprev comes along for a similair price. Its not even that the ap doesnt look like a fantastic product, its the fact that there are no tuners around here. hopefully that is remedied soon.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:50 AM
Peak350

Ya sorry, i must have missed the urgency of you looking for an option. As it is right now id probly get the cobb. But with the limit of the options atm, i would hate to buy it and then in a month something better such as the uprev comes along for a similair price. Its not even that the ap doesnt look like a fantastic product, its the fact that there are no tuners around here. hopefully that is remedied soon.
Well, something you might be missing that I am 99% sure is great about the cobb is that because you can download maps from them, you should also be able to download maps from others.

Meaning, if I get a custom tune for my car with exhaust, headers, etc, I could share it if I had it on my computer.

That brings an ethical question because the shop who put the tune together has a right to protect their work (so I would only do so with written permission), but it also means shops could sell custom tunes for say $75 that have more changes, not fully custom, but more tailored. I'll probably go with it before months out, but I won't be able to get a before/after dyno, so the best I can do is, before flash after flash same day with cleared adaptations. Which might not show the full picture in power gain (because of the cleared adaptations).
Old 11-05-2008, 08:11 AM
vnarang

So I have a question then. Is one able to download such maps and upload them to the Cobb AP unit, or he does that work?

Edit: Peak350 answered my question. He hard is it to develop maps for it?

Last edited by vnarang; 11-05-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Peak350

http://www.accessecu.com/accessport/nissan/350Z.html

That page (posted above as well) has maps on it. You download those and load them into the tuner - and into the car, so I assume you can do the same with custom maps from a tuner, but I can't verify that. I read something about that on a Subaru forum.

As far as end user tuning I don't really know. I think the software to modify the maps is probably held only by the Cobb certified shops.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Phibz

I haven't heard anyone mention Jet Performance yet. My car is in now for headers, ypipe, exhaust, TPs, and clutch/flywheel. My mechanic(who i have faith in at present) has recommended the Jet ecu upgrade. He is a stillen distributor and says this is who stillen is using. I called stillen and they agreed. I was bent on the Technosquare. But he can get reflash for $430. Any input appreciated.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Peak350

Haven't heard of them, but reflash only isn't really an option I'm likely to consider. The ability to be self reliant to some degree is worth the extra cost to me.

Quick Reply: Cobb AP