Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

JWT HD Clutch & Lighweight Flywheel Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 08:47 AM
JZK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JWT HD Clutch & Lighweight Flywheel Impressions

Just got them installed 2 days ago, Still trying to break in the clutch so I cant shift fast to see how much more it grabs compared to the stock clutch. The JWT clutch is just a bit harder to push in however.

Now the flywheel; the acceleration is CRAZY now! It really made a big difference, the throttle response is so much better; the flywheel is half the weight from stock, i lifted them both up and wow, what a difference. The only downside from the flywheel is that it chatters very loud now because of the light weight, chatters from idle to about 1900 rpms while in gear, after that it's fine. But I definately think it was worth it, pulls SO MUCH NICER! I can't really explain it anymore then that, haha. Anyways, I think it was a good mod, I recommend those of you with MT's to get it.

I'll re-post as soon as the clutch breaks in to see the difference from stock vs JWT.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:55 AM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great to hear that! Sounds like it was worth the switch to aftermarket clutch and flywheel..

I want to see how this holds at the track! And I also would like to see how it holds extra power (with nitrous!)
Old 11-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Peak350

Honestly I'm about ready to go back to an OE flywheel because the chatter is soooo bad. Love the clutch, the flywheel gave me 2 mph in the 1/8th, almost 3 in the 1/4, so it definitely helps, but the chatter is absolutely killing me.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:55 PM
JZK

Originally Posted by Peak350
Honestly I'm about ready to go back to an OE flywheel because the chatter is soooo bad. Love the clutch, the flywheel gave me 2 mph in the 1/8th, almost 3 in the 1/4, so it definitely helps, but the chatter is absolutely killing me.
Hey quick question though, does your clutch have a slight vibration feeling when you stick it down all the way while your normal driving and shifting gears? Mine doesnt vibrate violently, but I can feel like a slight vibration sometimes as Im driving normal, Im thinking in my head that it might be the flywheel shaking cause of the light weight - causing the vibrations, but then again it might also be because of the clutch and flywheel only having 200 miles on them and I still have to wear them in... but I just wanted to know if your getting the same thing or not
Old 11-16-2008, 03:20 AM
brady

How bad can it be? Does the car "chatter" too? As in shake slightly while getting it moving from a stop light or out of the driveway?
Old 11-16-2008, 06:49 AM
JZK

Yea the stuttering is very loud, lol. At idle and also at low rpms while driving. I was watching videos online and its normal for lightweight flywheels to make loud stuttering. And the vibrations in the clutch only happens sometimes during normal driving when I push the clutch in all the way when im about to shift into the next gear, does your car do that also?
Old 11-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Peak350

At idle after a long drive (when the tranny fluid is really thinned out and hot) the car sounds like a dump truck because its so loud. In drive throughs I hold the clutch in because its embarrassing.

Its not the flywheel or clutch making the noise, its a combination of the gears and synchros in the tranny thats making the noise.

I don't recall feeling a vibration, but I'll pay attention and see. I might need to adjust my starter (if its adjustable, I don't remember) because sometimes when I go to start my car it just grinds instead of engaging.

All that said I'm hoping for 108+ traps next weekend, I figure the cobb tuning + flywheel should get me there, and maybe get me something better than I ran stock.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:47 PM
350Zimo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At idle after a long drive (when the tranny fluid is really thinned out and hot) the car sounds like a dump truck because its so loud. In drive throughs I hold the clutch in because its embarrassing.

Its not the flywheel or clutch making the noise, its a combination of the gears and synchros in the tranny thats making the noise.

I don't recall feeling a vibration, but I'll pay attention and see. I might need to adjust my starter (if its adjustable, I don't remember) because sometimes when I go to start my car it just grinds instead of engaging.

All that said I'm hoping for 108+ traps next weekend, I figure the cobb tuning + flywheel should get me there, and maybe get me something better than I ran stock.
you can get rid of the noise. Just buy an exhaust
Old 11-16-2008, 02:15 PM
angelo_balto

The clutch is working super, but until 0.7-0.9 bar of turbo pressure.. once you go over 1 bar... well that's the end of JWT...
I think I'll upgrade soon for something stronger...
Old 11-16-2008, 05:49 PM
red350track

Originally Posted by angelo_balto
The clutch is working super, but until 0.7-0.9 bar of turbo pressure.. once you go over 1 bar... well that's the end of JWT...
I think I'll upgrade soon for something stronger...
bump for pics of your car with the TT kit@!!!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 05:54 PM
brady

How is the Cobb? What tune are you running? If it's already programmed do you notice a difference?

I am seriously considering getting one shortly. Although my car is stored for the winter...
Old 11-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by brady
How is the Cobb? What tune are you running? If it's already programmed do you notice a difference?

I am seriously considering getting one shortly. Although my car is stored for the winter...
I'm not going to make a claim that I feel something, because honestly I can't tell, if its what I think, then I should see a 1-2 mph trap difference at the track (I'll switch between maps when I go on saturday). I've run map 1 and 2, (2 calls for HFC's, but claims a lot more power, I don't know what would change in going to HFC's thats significant, other than maybe a tune thats harmful to the stock cats so I am running 2 right now). I noticed some difference, but its been wet or my engine cold so I haven't had a chance to make a fair comparison.

No redline change. I'd probably wait for uprev to release stuff if I had to do it over.

10 minute map flashes, FWIW.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:05 AM
JZK

Hey I was wondering if you took it for a drive yet and saw if there was a slight vibration or anything? It only happens once in a while when the clutch is down all the way to the floor during normal driving
Old 11-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Justin@IOS
Sponsor
IOS Performance

I've been very happy with my JWT flywheel, but yeah the noise is annoying at first...

I can't remember any added vibrations from the flywheel.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:52 PM
folgrz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

does anybody have the clutchmasters kit for the 07?
Old 11-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by JZK
Hey I was wondering if you took it for a drive yet and saw if there was a slight vibration or anything? It only happens once in a while when the clutch is down all the way to the floor during normal driving
No vibration that I could feel. Sorry I got in pretty late last night and had to be at work extra early today.

But yeah, other than obnoxious noise nothing major to be concerned about that I know of.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:24 PM
JZK

No vibration that I could feel. Sorry I got in pretty late last night and had to be at work extra early today.

But yeah, other than obnoxious noise nothing major to be concerned about that I know of.
Okay. Does your car feel like its bouncing up and down when your racing and shift from 1st to 2nd gear? I know its the tire's slipping, but on the sotck clutch i could just feel the tires losing traction, with this clutch it feels as if the whole back end bounces up and down
Old 11-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by JZK
Okay. Does your car feel like its bouncing up and down when your racing and shift from 1st to 2nd gear? I know its the tire's slipping, but on the sotck clutch i could just feel the tires losing traction, with this clutch it feels as if the whole back end bounces up and down
No, I shift in a manner that doesn't break traction (usually).

Light lift from 1-2 and when you let the clutch out don't just dump it, feather it out a bit before jumping back on the gas, if you time it right the tires and diff don't get the severe driveline shock (going from 1-2 and sometimes 2-3 I do this) and thus you don't spin the tires. Tires spinning is going slower.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:18 AM
JZK

Okay thanks for that input , but I was asking if your car feels like its bouncing up and down when you slam 1st to 2nd gear... (driving in a matter that does break traction)
Old 11-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Justin@IOS
Sponsor
IOS Performance

My car has never felt bouncy when shifting. Are you getting wheel hop?

Quick Reply: JWT HD Clutch & Lighweight Flywheel Impressions