Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Stillen Super Charger for the HR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 04:37 PM
bena1916

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...SAN&model=350Z

Might be old news but looks like Stillen is finally really ready to sell the HR SC unless of course you have a Nismo.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:53 PM
bena1916

Interesting to look at the dyno from both the Stillen and GTM SC for the HR.
Attached Thumbnails Stillen Super Charger for the HR?-gtm-sc.jpg   Stillen Super Charger for the HR?-stillen-sc.jpg  
Old 03-20-2012, 02:51 AM
GHOST1207

Originally Posted by bena1916
http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...SAN&model=350Z

Might be old news but looks like Stillen is finally really ready to sell the HR SC unless of course you have a Nismo.
CARB legal? Oh my...
Old 03-20-2012, 07:27 AM
kyle@stillen
Sponsor
Stillen

So like many of you I've been tracking the Stillen kit for quite some time and while it seems like all the folks over there say their VQ35HR kit is CARB approved they never will directly answer if they have the actual CARB EO stickers on hand. Also if you go to CARB approval data base http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php and you scroll down to the Stillen products there is no EO entry for the VQ35HR (see extract below for two most recent Stillen entries). Now obviously it could be it's CARB approved and the list just isn't updated. However, with respect to the VQ37HR it seems that Stillen was advertising that the kit was CARB approved at least several weeks before the actual EO was signed. Their blog announced on Sept 7, 2011 they had achieved CARB approval but the date was really on Sept 23, 2011 as verified below.

Also in speaking with Stillen it's a bit confusing as to which vehicle they actually have a tune for to go along with their turn key kit. I was told that they had an AT tune but didn't have any MT or Nismo (not sure if the Nismo would need a slightly different tune) one. So if that's the case how can they claim they have a CARB approved kit (when you have to use their tune) if they don't have a tune for your car?

So what does this all mean--seems to me when it comes to this CARB approval deal Stillen isn't exactly being forthright and it makes me wonder if I really want to do business with them. Kind of a bummer that they're the only game in town right now for an almost CARB approved solution.

It would be great if Kyle from Stillen would step in and give us the latest story on CARB approval and exactly which vehicles they have a turn key kit for.

EO: D-436-15 View PDF
EO Date: 8/31/2009
Manufacturer Name: Stillen Sportparts or Steve Millen Sportparts, Inc.
Device: Stillen Supercharger Kit
Device Type: Supercharger System / Supercharger Modification
Part_Number: Model_Specification: Modification_Allowed: Remarks:
See PDF The Stillen Supercharger Kit consists of a Magnuson Products, Inc. supercharger assembly that is rated at a maximum boost of 6.0 pounds per square inch. The kit also includes an upper intake manifold, replacement fuel pump, a supercharger bypass valve, an add-on fuel injector that uses a metal fuel rail (5.6L applications use additional fuel injectors for even fuel distribution), an intercooler, and a stand alone fuel management unit. Installation of the supercharger kit requires the rerouting and replacement of the positive crankcase ventilation hose; the new hose has a SAE30R7 rating. All fuel lines added are manufactured out of metal. The kit retains the stock air cleaner housing.

EO: D-436-17 View PDF
EO Date: 9/23/2011
Device: 3.7L Supercharger Kit
407770 or 407770P 2008 to 2012 model year Nissan 370Z and Infiniti G37 passenger cars The 3.7L Supercharger Kit consists of a Vortech Engineering V-3 supercharger assembly that is rated at a maximum boost of 8.0 pounds per square inch using a 3.125” supercharger pulley and the stock crank pulley. The kit also includes an open element air filter, replacement fuel pump, a new set of fuel injectors, a bypass valve, an intercooler, and a new ECU calibration. The breather hose is replaced with a new hose with a SAE30R9 rating. No changes are made to any fuel lines and the stock radiator thermostat is retained.
Originally Posted by ronn1
This was my PM exchange with Josh at Stillen:

Amazing that no announcement has been made here, since the *audience* for the HR is a much larger one than the G37 and 370Z! Is this kit for the 350Z HR CARB approved now as well? Have all the tunning glitches been worked out?

Thanks
Ron
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ron,

We have quite a few of these kits out in the wild, but like anyone we like to get some examples working before we push forward hard with marketing. Yes, it is CARB approved, and the tuning for most is working great. We do however see some ECU's that are down on power with the canned tune, and we have made minor tweaks to get that power back. Most of the tuning troubles we had were very early on with the 3.7L kits, and worked with UpRev extensively to iron out issues within the ECU, and those have been working very well

Hey Guys,

I apologize for not getting back to these posts for such an extremely long time. I typically do not like to respond to a post unless I have the necessary information needed to offer a proper response. In this case, I felt it was necessary to wait for CARB to post the EO number on their site before offering my reply. So, here is a link to the ARB (Air Resources Board) website with our Exemption Order number:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...aftermkteo.php

EDIT: Just double checked my post and found that the link does not take you to the correct E.O. number It only takes you to the ARB portion of the website that discusses E.O. numbers. For reference, the E.O. number is D-436-18.

Here is a copy and paste of what is listed under that E.O.:

EO: D-436-18 View PDF
EO Date: 1/23/2012
Device: Stillen Supercharger Kit
407750 or 407750P 2007 and 2008 model year Nissan 350Z passenger cars The Stillen Supercharger Kit, part numbers 407750 or 407750P, consists of a Vortech Engineering V-3 supercharger assembly that is rated at a maximum boost of 8.0 pounds per square inch using a 3.3” supercharger pulley and the stock crank pulley. The kit also includes an open element air filter, replacement fuel pump, a new set of fuel injectors, a bypass valve, an intercooler, and a new ECU calibration. The breather hose is replaced with a new hose with a SAE30R9 rating. No changes are made to any fuel lines and the stock radiator thermostat is retained.

Looking at this site you can get a small glimpse into the painstaking process of getting CARB approval on a product. The longest part of the CARB process is the waiting. Waiting for your test letter, waiting for your test dates with the labs, waiting for the your approval letters. Even though we were finished with testing and approved back in September or October...I forget when the exact date was. The letter wasn't actually signed off until January, and did not go live on the ARB website until last Wednesday.

I apologize for the long delay it took to get this up for you all.

Last edited by kyle@stillen; 03-20-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:01 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

I've been waiting to post for a long time on this thread as well (until all ducks were in a row). Thanks Kyle for all of the info. I'll be going with the Stillen SC kit when the car's finally paid off. This entire thread has been a great read and thanks to everyone who contributed to it.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:04 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zakmartin
I've been waiting to post for a long time on this thread as well (until all ducks were in a row). Thanks Kyle for all of the info. I'll be going with the Stillen SC kit when the car's finally paid off. This entire thread has been a great read and thanks to everyone who contributed to it.
Well I'll be damned..just took a look at this old thread...and BINGO!>>>> E.O. number is D-436-18

So....For those not wanting to run on the ragged edge and also live in Cali (Carb Legal)...this is good news.

Btw..I saw an Osiris tuned Stillen SC pull 420WHP on a 370Z, so I'm pretty confident a bolted HR should get around 400WHP.

Last edited by ronn1; 05-30-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:56 AM
ronn1

Interesting to look at the dyno from both the Stillen and GTM SC for the HR.
Note...@4000 RPM GTM has 300 Torque vs 250 for Stillen SC..that's a BIG difference.
Looks like Stillen doesn't *get in on* until 5000 RPM..late in the game.
I think GTM is pending CARB approval?..that's what I saw on a vendor site recently.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:24 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The Rotrex type blowers that GTM uses seems to generates more torque in general that the Vortech-type blowers that is used by the Stillens; but the Rotrex blowers run out of breath earlier than the Vortech blowers (ie peak HP)...

As for GTM Carb approval, I wouldn't hold your breath on that one...

Originally Posted by ronn1
Note...@4000 RPM GTM has 300 Torque vs 250 for Stillen SC..that's a BIG difference.
Looks like Stillen doesn't *get in on* until 5000 RPM..late in the game.
I think GTM is pending CARB approval?..that's what I saw on a vendor site recently.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:05 PM
nismo333

next year, this is mine.

EDIT : This kit isnt made for Nismo's?

Last edited by nismo333; 08-26-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:01 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Ordered mine a few days ago; last week of March, this set up will be great for my bolted HR as a DD! The new Stillen set up uses a Vortech V-3 supercharger and is not Roots style; low profile and shouldn't "OD" my engine. The kit comes with 600cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump and also UpRev cable/license and Stillen's base tune. I'd imagine with my exhaust I should be looking at 375+ whp would you guys agree?

http://blog.stillen.com/2012/02/2007...e-body-vq35hr/

Last edited by BigBlue; 02-10-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:04 AM
bruthaboost

Depending on what size pulley you use, you should easily be at 375+ whp. The big advantage I see in this SC over gtm, is you can upgrade the impeller and it's trivial to get a blower rebuild. You can also convert to conventional engine oil cooling for the blower as well. I know many on the s2000 forums had issues with the self lubricating blowers.

Good luck and post a build thread of your progress!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:07 AM
BigBlue

Originally Posted by bruthaboost
Depending on what size pulley you use, you should easily be at 375+ whp. The big advantage I see in this SC over gtm, is you can upgrade the impeller and it's trivial to get a blower rebuild. You can also convert to conventional engine oil cooling for the blower as well. I know many on the s2000 forums had issues with the self lubricating blowers.

Good luck and post a build thread of your progress!
Thanks, yeah what I understand and have been told about this kit is that it can be upgraded like you mentioned, which is nice to know. I'll surely post some reviews/pics of it; can't wait. I should have it done in a week!
Old 04-25-2013, 04:52 PM
MM'08_350Z

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey BigBlue, did you have to modify/cut the inside of your hood for that supercharger.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:51 PM
BigBlue

Originally Posted by MM'08_350Z
Hey BigBlue, did you have to modify/cut the inside of your hood for that supercharger.
Unfortunately my mechanic who did the install found out "late" in a long day 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. to get it finished, that he had to make 4 semi-weird cuts! Stillen doesn't mention that and we didn't know at all until the end of the install; kind of sucks, but it's all good. He did say that the kit fitment was excellent and very well designed. I'm loving this kit; I try to drive normal, but the speed in short distances is taking some getting used to.

Last edited by BigBlue; 05-14-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 PM
BigBlue

I was just curious if any of the guys with the V3 Stillen SC kit are using a bov instead of the bypass valve that is supplied? I know one guy here is using a bov and wonder how he likes that as opposed to the bypass that dumps into the exhaust where bov into atmosphere. I'll contact Stillen, but thought I'd check if anybody here recommends bov vs bypass.

Last edited by BigBlue; 08-06-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 PM
remo1356

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Unfortunately my mechanic who did the install found out "late" in a long day 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. to get it finished, that he had to make 4 semi-weird cuts! Stillen doesn't mention that and we didn't know at all until the end of the install; kind of sucks, but it's all good. He did say that the kit fitment was excellent and very well designed. I'm loving this kit; I try to drive normal, but the speed in short distances is taking some getting used to.
Its too bad. Don't really want to cut up my hood. Looks like its going to be GTM