Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Stillen Super Charger for the HR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 03:49 PM
biggersNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ i hear you doug, i have all the bolt-on's right now. Injen Intake, HKS Exhaust, Stillen Headers, Stillen HFC's, and so on... Thanks for the response, i'm just a guy who is need of F/I options for my situation.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:58 PM
QNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
my350z.com's Biggest DoucheBag of the Year: Pissing off Internet Nerds Daily
Change "Nerds" to "Everyone Who Disagrees With My Point Of View" and you've nailed it. Sorry, I missed the disclaimer before.

I thought you were done with this thread?

QuickSilver, tell me more about TT... You've clearly been playing at this a long time. You've sold a used setup... any danger in this (buying one, I mean)?

Also, you mention that tune on the SC... is there some reason you couldn't go with an aftermarket Osiris like product to accomplish a proper tune, even with the SC?

PS - thanks for not being a dick.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:06 PM
kakashishin

All I'm saying is that there is NO 6k or less right out of the box FI solution for the HR Z. This whole thread is supposed to be about the possibility that there is going to be a HR stillen sc coming out and I do appreciate the concern that this is a crappy product but I'll just wait until it comes out and produces some solid results. No one said this thing was going to make any amount of horsepower, the only thing the stillen rep said was that the guy was making "decent power" already. Lets agree to disagree for right now and when they come out with something crappy, I'll be the first one to say you guys are right but until then, I'm going to wait and see what comes out and decide which route I'm going to go.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:52 PM
welderz

WTF why are you arguing and saying the stillen supercharger for the HR sucks when you have absolutely no idea what it is. I already said on page one that they're probably not going to use a roots blower for the 370z or the HR. The stillen supercharger sucks for the DE but don't argue with people saying it sucks for the HR when the kits are probably going to be a centrifugal setup like the vortech with a higher power potential not the sh!tty eaton M62 that fell on its face at 350whp. You shouldn't make assumptions and run your mouth saying the kit is junk when you don't even know any details about it.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:40 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by welderz
WTF why are you arguing and saying the stillen supercharger for the HR sucks when you have absolutely no idea what it is. I already said on page one that they're probably not going to use a roots blower for the 370z or the HR. The stillen supercharger sucks for the DE but don't argue with people saying it sucks for the HR when the kits are probably going to be a centrifugal setup like the vortech with a higher power potential not the sh!tty eaton M62 that fell on its face at 350whp. You shouldn't make assumptions and run your mouth saying the kit is junk when you don't even know any details about it.
Quoted for the future
Old 05-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by biggersNISMO
i would love to get a turbo set up, absolutely love it... but I live in Silverthorne Colorado, the elevation is almost 9,000 ft above sea level. The air is soo thin. All my brothers rides that are turbo'd don't even feel like they are boosted. But a supercharger would probably a different story... Enlighten me if i'm wrong.

What type of F/I would you go with in my case?
Actually a turbo would do more than a SC, you can even set the turbo so you have more "relative boost" but the same "absolute pressure" as a car at sea level.

If you know the barometric pressure (or psi) at your altitude it shouldn't be that hard. Say you have .75 atm at 9,000 feet, if you run 1 bar of boost, you'd have 1.75 bar (absolute pressure) in reality, so if you truly wanted to have 2 bar (absolute, 1 bar relative) you'd run 1.33 bar boost (instead of 1 bar) using a boost controller.

Super charger you can play with it that easily.

What I'm saying is 10 psi at sea level vs 10 psi at 10,000 feet isn't the same amount of air in the engine, so run 12-14 psi (or whatever it takes) to get the same air volumes, it will be the same stress on the engine internals, just more on the intercooler, turbos, piping, etc.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:57 PM
biggersNISMO

^^^^ Thanks, that's the info i'm looking for
Old 05-25-2009, 09:19 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by welderz
maybe because what the stillen rep called "decent power" is 318whp... if you do math thats like 4 psi on a turbo lol. And let me tell you about the power of S/C....quamen has probably the most respectable/solid high build for a s/c and its in the >500whp range..... that still cant beat what greddy, pl, aps std...almost all other turbo kits have done at reachin 550-650whp
And you also mentioned like vortech... oh yeah thats big horse power ... in fact the 400whp on a s/c wouldn't come even close to what a turbo at 400whp would be doing because it also puts ~100lbs of tq more.
The term junk isn't on the quality of the blower, it could be made out of diamonds if you want, but the fact t is that it will put out ***** power, making the $/hp the lest affordable

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 05-25-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:32 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by QNman
Change "Nerds" to "Everyone Who Disagrees With My Point Of View" and you've nailed it. Sorry, I missed the disclaimer before.

I thought you were done with this thread?

QuickSilver, tell me more about TT... You've clearly been playing at this a long time. You've sold a used setup... any danger in this (buying one, I mean)?

Also, you mention that tune on the SC... is there some reason you couldn't go with an aftermarket Osiris like product to accomplish a proper tune, even with the SC?

PS - thanks for not being a dick.
lol actually doug knows his shlt with tts lol, and some people here deserve to be called out for making useless and incorrect excuses to justify their purchase of the kit, even if you love the s/c whine.... but anyways, its all comes down to what are you goals when choosing the size of turbos you want, and sinc eyou mentioned lag, then you probably wanna do like gt28rs, run a safe 6psi...10psi high boost with street gas.. that be pretty sweet setup.
As far as used kit...like any as-is purchase there is always a risk involved... but ovbiously i was me so people trusted me lulz. I would do a lil research and public posting of the person you are trying to buy the kit from, check their itraders..b ut like i said, id keep the whole thing in the open and not in PMs..i guess id also try to find a person with good history on the board.

On the ems you jsut saying you would add cost on top of the out-the-box kit on the s/c to improve the tune.. cuase the ss box provided by stillen will most likely be locked...and their ripoff charges for stg2,3,4 liek they had were just flashes and didnt do a lot in power, just more cost.....and of course you also had to buy that crappy hood, to ripp you off more money....

ps....another thing with turbo kits... you can jsut run it out the box with tune and even stock exhaust..and it will still beat a s/c setup with all the extra bolt ons necessary (might have to run +1 psi, but thats the beauty of turbos, you make up with more boost)
Old 05-26-2009, 05:55 AM
QNman

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
lol actually doug knows his shlt with tts lol, and some people here deserve to be called out for making useless and incorrect excuses to justify their purchase of the kit, even if you love the s/c whine.... but anyways, its all comes down to what are you goals when choosing the size of turbos you want, and sinc eyou mentioned lag, then you probably wanna do like gt28rs, run a safe 6psi...10psi high boost with street gas.. that be pretty sweet setup.
As far as used kit...like any as-is purchase there is always a risk involved... but ovbiously i was me so people trusted me lulz. I would do a lil research and public posting of the person you are trying to buy the kit from, check their itraders..b ut like i said, id keep the whole thing in the open and not in PMs..i guess id also try to find a person with good history on the board.

On the ems you jsut saying you would add cost on top of the out-the-box kit on the s/c to improve the tune.. cuase the ss box provided by stillen will most likely be locked...and their ripoff charges for stg2,3,4 liek they had were just flashes and didnt do a lot in power, just more cost.....and of course you also had to buy that crappy hood, to ripp you off more money....

ps....another thing with turbo kits... you can jsut run it out the box with tune and even stock exhaust..and it will still beat a s/c setup with all the extra bolt ons necessary (might have to run +1 psi, but thats the beauty of turbos, you make up with more boost)
Thanks, QS.

My FIRST CRITERIA for ANY FI solution would be it HAS to fit under the stock hood. Why? Because I LIKE the stock HR hood, #1. #2, because I want to add or subtract whatever I feel like, not be forced into someone else's solution.

I was under the impression that a re-tune would be necessary anyway... And knowing nothing about the Stillen kit, I had always thought an unlocked, programmable box like an Osiris would be nice... offers flexibility for future adds.

Finally, the purpose of this thread, as I understood it, was to discuss the possibility of a new Stillen SC for the HR. Since it isn't out yet, there are a lot of unknowns.

That said, with your input here, I can see I should keep an open mind to FI solutions before making a purchase. Particularly a TT setup (I like options).
Old 05-26-2009, 06:29 AM
QNman

QS:

THIS is what scares me about TT - https://my350z.com/forum/fi-faqs/112...irst-time.html

...as many of us Z owners striving to seek more and more power out of our stock engine, I decided to buy a GReddy TT kit. Had it professionally installed and about a month later...catatrophic engine damage. I broke connecting rod #2 and subsequently it put two windows in my block. So, I decided do it right and do a forged internal build up and I am only days away from finally have it done. But this thread is not about MY build up, its about YOUR build up. I have put together a good plan on how to go about an engine build up AND forced induction to your Z.
If adding FI means a rebuild - up front or not - I'll stick with NA. One of the things Stillen is claiming on their SC for the HR is that it will maintain stock reliability. If I wanted to rebuild the engine, I'd have bought an old one.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:38 AM
BigMo350z

[QUOTE=willow350;7364503]
Originally Posted by BigMo350z
Update HR Guys!-

Hi Muhammad,

While the various stages are not completely distinct, I would say we are in the prototyping stage. As this involves things like castings and electronics, it is very hard to extrapolate any completion date – particularly when the testing stage can potentially have us making modifications to the design.

You are getting good power at 318 whp. Please understand that our goal is not maximum power, but maximum reliable and 50 state legal power on stock engine internals and drivetrain.

We will likely release pictures and more details at a later time. There are a number of challenges in working with this engine, and we have found some very creative and robust solutions to them so far. I’m sure you will understand that we have no desire to do anyone else’s R&D…

Thanks again for your interest,

Jeff R.

I hope it makes more than 318 whp. That's too low for FI V6.
Just an FYI:

Stillen supercharger will definitely make much more than 318 whp! This is something I stated to Stillen that was referring to another Z member with an HR w/bolt on mods doing 318whp NA (headers, dual intakes, exhaust, hfc's, cobb tuning).

Everyone needs to be patient and continue to follow-up with Stillen to continue getting updates.

Thanks,
Mo
Old 05-26-2009, 07:16 AM
350z 6spd

Originally Posted by QNman
QS:

THIS is what scares me about TT - https://my350z.com/forum/fi-faqs/112...irst-time.html

If adding FI means a rebuild - up front or not - I'll stick with NA. One of the things Stillen is claiming on their SC for the HR is that it will maintain stock reliability. If I wanted to rebuild the engine, I'd have bought an old one.
I know a couple of people who have put 40,000+ miles boosted (about 70,000 on the motors) on stock block DE motors and were still going strong when they decided to either sell the car or build the motor. It's pretty much luck of the draw combined with a good tune. Also they drove their cars pretty hard on a daily basis.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:38 AM
Carbon-Z
Sleeps in 350Z

safe? did you happen to miss my post that the Stillen SC has blown more DE Motors than any other form of FI on this site?

I know that is not true. Back your statements up. Because I have seen a ton more Vortech or TT builds that have blown engines over a Stillen. The Stillen rarely pops up.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:01 AM
doug

Originally Posted by Carbon-Z
I know that is not true. Back your statements up. Because I have seen a ton more Vortech or TT builds that have blown engines over a Stillen. The Stillen rarely pops up.
First off.. I can count on 1 hand how many motors Vortech has blown.. its the vortech unit itself that has been faulty..

but anyway.. instead of repeating myself..

happy reading

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...-purchase.html

grab some popcorn
Old 05-26-2009, 08:56 AM
Carbon-Z
Sleeps in 350Z

One hand huh? Not Weird, it seems I saw almost every other post for a while of Vortech failures and engine failures.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:04 AM
doug

Originally Posted by Carbon-Z
One hand huh? Not Weird, it seems I saw almost every other post for a while of Vortech failures and engine failures.
post them up.. my knowledge is only as good as my information learned here.. maybe i've missed threads you have seen.. you posting them is educating me.. and making me enlightened
Old 05-26-2009, 06:48 PM
kakashishin

First off.. I can count on 1 hand how many motors Vortech has blown.. its the vortech unit itself that has been faulty..

but anyway.. instead of repeating myself..

happy reading

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...-purchase.html

grab some popcorn
Umm... not trying to be captain obvious here but that link is just of a bunch of guys talking **** about stillen superchargers, not of any facts to back up that they are garbage.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:30 PM
doug

Originally Posted by kakashishin
Umm... not trying to be captain obvious here but that link is just of a bunch of guys talking **** about stillen superchargers, not of any facts to back up that they are garbage.
keep reading.. its in there
Old 05-26-2009, 07:33 PM
IIQuickSilverII

keep reading.. its in there
i think its the 3rd time we ask him to finish reading before making a comment

Quick Reply: Stillen Super Charger for the HR?