Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Stillen Super Charger for the HR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Blck350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care what F/I you do to your car without a correct tune it will eventually blow up.... I mean this isn't rocket science. I mean at the very least a lot of honda guys use the old AFC or something of the sort..... and the reason not a lot of stillen charges are posted that they blew up is 1.) I would bet that the demographic that buys stillen s/c aren't into there Z's enough to be on a forum and/or bought a stillen and then got on the forum and sold it hah! anyways you know what I mean.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:49 AM
QNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a question for the Stillen haters... other than an improper tune (not necessarily the fault of the SC), why would it be the SC specifically that causes damage? From what I can tell, the Stillen produces mild boost, so assuming the block and heads are tight, if the tune is proper, there shouldn't be any issues, right? The same should be said about ALL mildly boosted FI solution, regardless of brand or type of charger - right?
Old 05-30-2009, 09:05 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

yeah, but it isnt going to make you any better or faster...i mean you woudl be spending more out the box on extra parts with stillen.... the power you gain wouldnt be worth the effort, might as well just do the n/a mods and get ! same power..... i mean you hear the stillen guy himself say 312whp was respectable for the 350z fi lol.... what a ripoff
Old 05-30-2009, 11:24 AM
QNman

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
yeah, but it isnt going to make you any better or faster...i mean you woudl be spending more out the box on extra parts with stillen.... the power you gain wouldnt be worth the effort, might as well just do the n/a mods and get ! same power..... i mean you hear the stillen guy himself say 312whp was respectable for the 350z fi lol.... what a ripoff
I understood his response to say that 318 WHP from NA was respectable.

I'm not arguing the "more bang for the buck" - clearly, the TT wins this one. I'm simply replying to the claims that the Stillen SC blows engines where others don't as often.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:45 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

OMG i can't wait till you buy one.. Jorge.. stop giving him advice.. let him go ahead in the mouth of Satan
Old 05-30-2009, 03:40 PM
kakashishin

well when it blows his engine the good news is stillen is gonna buy him a new one and greddy, gtm, hks, or any other turbo manufacturer wont.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:40 PM
kakashishin

thats what warrantys do
Old 05-30-2009, 05:11 PM
doug

Originally Posted by kakashishin
well when it blows his engine the good news is stillen is gonna buy him a new one and greddy, gtm, hks, or any other turbo manufacturer wont.
thats what warrantys do
you need to read the fine print.. stillen did the same thing for the titan then only offered $3000 towards a new motor not including labor
Old 05-30-2009, 06:45 PM
kakashishin

Thats 3k more than anyone else doing FI is going to offer if there product blows a motor. You'll probably get from them something along the lines of them saying "It's not my problem." Besides, we don't know how much they are offering with the warranty. Its kinda like insurance, you get back what was originally in the vehicle and the warranty could be worth more because it is a DIFFERENT ENGINE. One of the threads YOU posted as proof said that stillen paid for the engine and to get it put in (and like insurance, they might have specific people you have to take you vehicle to to get your engine put in) but he opted to take the money and get a forged engine which in turn cost him a little more. Like it was said before, if its a POS product no one will buy it and you would be right, but as it stands its not out yet, we all know (with the exeception of some skeptics) that stillen makes great products that are very close to what the original manufacturer wants and that the engine and SC will be covered possibly by some kind of warranty. So please you said your peace if you want to continue bashing stillen please start another thread someplace else and I will follow you to make a counter argument. Lets please get back on subject and hope stillen actually comes through with this product and that it will make some very good gains on a stock block safely and that they actually come out with it because they are around three years too late with it.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:56 PM
doug

Thats 3k more than anyone else doing FI is going to offer if there product blows a motor. You'll probably get from them something along the lines of them saying "It's not my problem." Besides, we don't know how much they are offering with the warranty. Its kinda like insurance, you get back what was originally in the vehicle and the warranty could be worth more because it is a DIFFERENT ENGINE. One of the threads YOU posted as proof said that stillen paid for the engine and to get it put in (and like insurance, they might have specific people you have to take you vehicle to to get your engine put in) but he opted to take the money and get a forged engine which in turn cost him a little more. Like it was said before, if its a POS product no one will buy it and you would be right, but as it stands its not out yet, we all know (with the exeception of some skeptics) that stillen makes great products that are very close to what the original manufacturer wants and that the engine and SC will be covered possibly by some kind of warranty. So please you said your peace if you want to continue bashing stillen please start another thread someplace else and I will follow you to make a counter argument. Lets please get back on subject and hope stillen actually comes through with this product and that it will make some very good gains on a stock block safely and that they actually come out with it because they are around three years too late with it.
i'm looking forward to your stillen install and your progress
Old 05-30-2009, 10:13 PM
IIQuickSilverII

kashin deserves to buy a 6k supercharger...and then get walked by an Z with just n/a mods...or better be embarrased by any other Z with any other type of Fi solution at any PSI

he still defends stillen with no FI knowledge , no funds to even go Fi, no having owned a stillen part .....

I still find it funny he keep repeating this stillen makes products close to what the original manufacturer wants??/ LOLOLOL stop making stuff up plz, thats code weaksauce, overpriced weaksauce worst of all. That S/C covered by some warranty, search forum, you will see stories fo this so called insurance lol.

And of course there is no 100% safe specially when you go Fi, but i think its specially sad when you blow an engine with the most weaksauce FI kit out there ....why can we say stillen blows engines?, because they function of a stillen provided flash on a shity ems (ss box), and lack of fuel system. You cant tune it cause stillen locks SS box..and charges 1000s for theri ripoff upgrades of stage 2, 3, 4 like they have

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 05-30-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:57 AM
QNman

Originally Posted by QNman
Here's a question for the Stillen haters... other than an improper tune (not necessarily the fault of the SC), why would it be the SC specifically that causes damage? From what I can tell, the Stillen produces mild boost, so assuming the block and heads are tight, if the tune is proper, there shouldn't be any issues, right? The same should be said about ALL mildly boosted FI solution, regardless of brand or type of charger - right?

I'm not arguing the "more bang for the buck" - clearly, the TT wins this one. I'm simply replying to the claims that the Stillen SC blows engines where others don't as often.
So... no one cares to have a more philosophical discussion about how a Stillen SC might create more headaches than other FI solutions? Without the hyperbole and name-calling ("mouth of Satan"? Honestly?)?

Clearly, some are all about "how much power can my engine put down". Great. There are solutions for that. Clearly, others are more interested in a "supercharger whine" rather than big numbers - cool. Their money, their motors...

My question is still - assuming a proper engine tune (say, an Osiris tune), how could a Stillen SC (or any SC, for than matter) be more prone to engine failures than any other FI solution, given the same boost?
Old 05-31-2009, 06:05 AM
IIQuickSilverII

wat? philosophical? this isnt politics, there are no ifs, you are an engineer, you should know better really as far as getting the most bang for your buck + running quality and efficient power, and read again:
So... no one cares to have a more philosophical discussion about how a Stillen SC might create more headaches than other FI solutions? Without the hyperbole and name-calling ("mouth of Satan"? Honestly?)?

Clearly, some are all about "how much power can my engine put down". Great. There are solutions for that. Clearly, others are more interested in a "supercharger whine" rather than big numbers - cool. Their money, their motors...

My question is still - assuming a proper engine tune (say, an Osiris tune), how could a Stillen SC (or any SC, for than matter) be more prone to engine failures than any other FI solution, given the same boost?
why can we say stillen blows engines?, because they function of a stillen provided flash on a shity ems (ss box), and lack of fuel system. You cant tune it cause stillen locks SS box..and charges 1000s for theri ripoff upgrades of stage 2, 3, 4 like they have.

6k supercharger...and then get walked by an Z with just n/a mods

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 05-31-2009 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:55 AM
kakashishin

kashin deserves to buy a 6k supercharger...and then get walked by an Z with just n/a mods...or better be embarrased by any other Z with any other type of Fi solution at any PSI

he still defends stillen with no FI knowledge , no funds to even go Fi, no having owned a stillen part .....

I still find it funny he keep repeating this stillen makes products close to what the original manufacturer wants??/ LOLOLOL stop making stuff up plz, thats code weaksauce, overpriced weaksauce worst of all. That S/C covered by some warranty, search forum, you will see stories fo this so called insurance lol.

And of course there is no 100% safe specially when you go Fi, but i think its specially sad when you blow an engine with the most weaksauce FI kit out there ....why can we say stillen blows engines?, because they function of a stillen provided flash on a shity ems (ss box), and lack of fuel system. You cant tune it cause stillen locks SS box..and charges 1000s for theri ripoff upgrades of stage 2, 3, 4 like they have
Umm for one guy you don't know how much money I got so please stop making dumbass statements like that, I only told you that I don't feel like spending money on a blown motor every month cause It's almost a wasted investment and I might as well pick up a GTR, two I HAVE owned stillen parts and I HAVE researched them and at least doug tried to pick up links to support his opinion so I respect him for that but you just get on here bitching about how shitty stillen parts are and don't put up any links to support it. And three No one said that it was 100% safe for the millionth time, but they at least they give you a warranty for the engine so you don't have to foot the bill, and you want forged engine parts, then throw in a little more, and learn from what happened. Quicksilver if you pm me all the links that you found of stillen superchargers blowing up Z's, when stillen has been producing Z stuff since the early 90's, please, please link them to me so I can say your right but if you can't come up with it ( and please don't get back on here telling me to do the same cause if stuff doesn't break people don't complain) please stop giving shitty advice. You can't force your opinon on everyone and for you to say that stillen makes shitty Z parts when they have made Z parts and put warrantys on them for about 20 years means they have a reliable product, not some buy my kit for 10 to 12k and watch it blow up on you and me blame you for driving it scam. I please read on this forum of this warranty that you make fun of, hell doug posted it as proof but it did nothing but prove stillen stands behind there product.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:18 AM
IIQuickSilverII

you have been told more than enough times on this thread the links to the threads where stillen has blown motors.... the whole point here is that FI isn't safe regardless, but its particularly pathetic that a blower that puts as much power as n/a mods do can do this, you are on a false sense of safety with stillen thats the point, you aren't paying more for safety or reliability. And are you moronic, cause you never read... i never said stillen makes parts of bad quality, but overpriced, AND WEAKSAUCE(if you have another car where stillen is the only aftermarket company and actually has a part that works then go ahead buy it, there isn't one for the Z., ... would you buy an exhaust that adds 7whp for 3000$...jsut cause its quality when another exhaust of same materials and quality puts down 15whp for 1000$... Do you think i have never owned a stillen part? lol again stillen blows theri motors because you stllen the stillen blower with stillen provided shitty ems and flash, if it wasnt then it would be up to the tuner, but you are locked out of the tune.
And why would you want a warranty for an Fi system that in the first place should not blow an engine when you can put the same power with just n/a mods and be completely safe, GET IT?. Its obvious they are making such a huge markup on their kits at 6k that they can give you 3k for an engine, and you are still 2.5k out of pocket... again for something that put down enough power that you might as well do the n/a mods and really stay safe...there is no safety here, its just a false sense you have bought into, when you don't even own a kit.
And if you can really afford a gtr..then why are messing with the stillen blower ....you are either that much of a n00b or really makign stuff up.... ill give you benefit of the doubt, n00b, please go reasearch a little more. You will safe , less money, put down the same power and with better quality parts if you jsut do the n/a mods....and the mods carry over if you do wanna go witha real FI kit in the future...
otherwise, don't bother. At least with vortech you can reach more power than you could n/a and reach 400whp...its be a slow 400whp compared to 400whp on a turbo but still...

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 05-31-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:57 AM
kakashishin

Do you just like being argumentative? Has the supercharger even come out yet? Have you put down a link or something saying that the supercharger is more a pos than another?
The only thing your saying is that there are higher horsepower options out there and I hear you and if I want something that puts out more horsepower, I will get it. All I care about right now is reliability. I know any type of FI has potential to blow a motor, got that. All I'm saying is that I'd have reliability on my side rather than hp. I also think you haven't been in a business class or own an HR Z or you would know that ALL of the kits that they offer for the motor are OVERPRICED. I mean the only one I would possible consider so far of the kits that are out is the GTM turn key kit cause why would you pay 9k for a tuner kit. Lets be real, we are in a recession and everyone is trying to milk consumers of money, even stillen. But the more kits there are on the market for the motor, I'm willing to bet you anything the prices will begin dropping. As far as why I picked up a Z rather than a GTR, I always wanted a Z and the GTR looks to me like it would have more problems for now tuning wise although tuners are making headway. So instead of just calling someone a n00b for stating his opinion, come up with some facts then start talking. I think I'd rather have doug calling me out, at least he comes up with some reasons and a couple of testimonies why he thinks there shitty than have you tell me I'm stupid and won't come up with a good reason, other than acting like a non spelling third grader and saying I'm a noob every 5 seconds. I see your in AZ and if you want me to meet me somewhere between Phoenix and Sierra Vista to talk about different builds and try to see where we both are coming from, then lets do it. We don't know what the sc is gonna put out so please stop assuming.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:11 AM
That One Dude

/thread
Old 05-31-2009, 10:14 AM
QNman

wat? philosophical? this isnt politics, there are no ifs, you are an engineer, you should know better really as far as getting the most bang for your buck + running quality and efficient power, and read again:

why can we say stillen blows engines?, because they function of a stillen provided flash on a shity ems (ss box), and lack of fuel system. You cant tune it cause stillen locks SS box..and charges 1000s for theri ripoff upgrades of stage 2, 3, 4 like they have.

6k supercharger...and then get walked by an Z with just n/a mods
"Quality" was specifically the "philosophy" I wanted to discuss. Clearly, you are saying that the issue is in their "box". My question was and remains if another tuning solution wouldn't change the equation. Clearly, it would.

Yes, I'm an engineer.... thus the question. Why would a Stillen SC "blow more engines" than comparable solutions with similar air charges? (Answer - it wouldn't).

You and doug think they're junk because you can get more "bang for your buck". Great. That is a valid point, and has been driven home. The REAL question is - is the Stillen SC junk, or just not your cup of tea?
Old 05-31-2009, 12:26 PM
doug

I think they're junk because you can get more "bang for your buck". Great. That is a valid point, and has been driven home. The REAL question is - is the Stillen SC junk, or just not your cup of tea?
again.. i said i don't think they are junk.. here are my points and i'm done and i wish everyone the best in their decision because quite frankly i'm exhausted..

- i don't think they provide enough performance for the price
- they lock their ems which is problem once condititions change and no two cars are ever the same, so this causes motors to blow

other than that.. what really is there to like? the sound? the hood? i'm not sure
Old 05-31-2009, 01:12 PM
armt350z

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Why a stillen would possibly blow more engines? Roots style S/C's provide more horsepower and torque down low as opposed to the available centrifugal S/C's so more stress on the engine components and transmission at normal driving RPM's. Also due to the design of a roots, more heat is transfered into the intake charge air as opposed to a centrifugal. Thats why.

Quick Reply: Stillen Super Charger for the HR?