Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Exedy Clutch/Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 02:30 PM
acharney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exedy Clutch/Flywheel

I have been looking at options for clutch/flywheel upgrades that don't cause any CSC problems. I understand Southbend has one out now, and I am considering it. But I also wanted to see if anyone has tried the Exedy clutch/flywheel? From what I read it sounds like Exedy is supposed to not cause any issues, but I haven't found any postings yet of anyone with an HR using it.

If anyone has any experience with the Exedy clutch/flywheel and can post your experience or opinions that would be really helpful...
Old 03-26-2010, 04:59 PM
blue350zed

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Subscribed...
Old 03-27-2010, 05:43 AM
biggersNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1. I have interest as well !
Old 03-29-2010, 12:11 PM
kramykram

for the price i would go with south bend. but i plan on switching back over to traditional slave when i change everything out. but i still only have 14k on my car so im in no rush.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:45 PM
musubi

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't seen too many people go after the Exedy clutch/flywheel combo. In fact, I've only seen one member here, Kennylin888. He had the Exedy stage 2 for his 07. He said the pedal feels like oem. He had 300 mi. when I last talked to him a few months back. Haven't heard since.

I asked Exedy if they accounted for the differences in the the HR pressure plate. They responded that they built it accordingly. Although, I'd be very interested to see what the clutch system really looks like, especially the pressure fingers.

I think I'd be more inclined to go with the southbend clutch route. Although it's a DE style clutch, the differences have been accounted for in their bearing mod. If you can wait, they're also improving the slave. At least here, you can guarantee a solid connection with the bearing and pressure fingers and correct height of bearing (no over extension).

If you do get the Exedy, post pictures please!
Old 03-31-2010, 03:17 PM
kennylin888

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi everyone, I am here.
Yes, I have the EXEDY STAGE 2 clutch on my NISMO 07 and I like them pretty much. My brother doesn't like it, coz he is not used to our Z in the first place.
As from the pressure point of view, I will say that it's not too far from the OE, maybe feel a little bit, but just a little bit harder.
The only thing here comparing to the OE, is that if you don't push ur GAS pedal a little bit more, the car will stall, will STOP. This clutch makes the car to just want to GO GO GO and GO. It's like is knocking more, much more torque than the OE.
Anyways, I guess that I already put over 1000 or 2000 miles on it and no complaints about it. The only thing here is that they are DAMN EXPENSIVE and they don't sell their clutch separately, you must buy the CLUTCH, PRESSURE PLATE and the FLYWHEEL all together which cost over US$1800 now

Any other question, please let me know, I will try to use my BEST ENGLISH~~~

My POST:
https://my350z.com/forum/nismo-350z/...-flywheel.html

Last edited by kennylin888; 03-31-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:27 AM
acharney

kennylin, thanks so much for posting!! Sounds like this might be a good option. The thing I prefer about this setup (at least in theory) over the SouthBend is the flywheel seems to be a good weight, not too light and not too heavy (19.6lbs), so maybe a good compromise of faster reving than OEM but not too much chatter. Of course one could go with Southbend for the clutch and then another brand flywheel -but not the Exedy flywheel since it appears they don't sell it separately...

So kennylin, does it sound louder than OEM? When you are just sitting idling with the clutch released does it make much noise/chatter?
Old 04-01-2010, 09:29 AM
musubi

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From kennylin888's picture of the pressure plate, it appears that the design of the pressure fingers are correctly designed. That's good news for those looking at the exedy setup.

Compared to the JWT, the Exedy seems expensive, but I think it's still a good price/deal. Also, the JWT will most likely F-up your CSC...without SB's bearing mod.