Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Motor oil problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Taresh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmroberson
Nissan's position on synthetic oil is that they don't recommend it in the Z... that is completely different from voiding the warranty, which they cannot do, on a whim like that anyway.
No but I'm sure they said to me using synthetic will void the warrenty I'm waiting for Nissan Corp to reply regarding this problem
Old 08-19-2010, 10:00 AM
NyCSnEaK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taresh
actually some of these brands ara availabe here and I send a long messege to Nissan corp regarding this dealer and the way they want to sell us their stupid oil
You lucky sob. I wish I could find ultra 5w40 and schaffer's without mail ordering them. Plus they charge an arm and leg for them, when I truly believe they are no greater(excluding Sch 5w-50) than Mobil 0w-40 or GC. But I would love someone to try the Schaffer's 5w-50 with their FI motor. I am sure Nissan will set you and the dealership straight.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:23 AM
dmroberson

No but I'm sure they said to me using synthetic will void the warrenty I'm waiting for Nissan Corp to reply regarding this problem
they said that to me too, when I had the oil consumption problem with my Z... Half of the people at Nissan Corporate are just as stupid as the ones at the stealership.

even corporate said the same thing, but they fixed my car. nice to have the BBB on your side...
Old 08-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Taresh

Originally Posted by NyCSnEaK
You lucky sob. I wish I could find ultra 5w40 and schaffer's without mail ordering them. Plus they charge an arm and leg for them, when I truly believe they are no greater(excluding Sch 5w-50) than Mobil 0w-40 or GC. But I would love someone to try the Schaffer's 5w-50 with their FI motor. I am sure Nissan will set you and the dealership straight.
I said some pennzoil ultra is not avaialbe and oils here are twice the price in US pennzoil yb cost 6$ per qt and I need 5 and pp will cost12$ per qt
Old 08-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Taresh

Originally Posted by dmroberson
they said that to me too, when I had the oil consumption problem with my Z... Half of the people at Nissan Corporate are just as stupid as the ones at the stealership.

even corporate said the same thing, but they fixed my car. nice to have the BBB on your side...
I hope the nissan Corp won't be stupid as the dealer then I will be on my own
Old 08-19-2010, 01:23 PM
NyCSnEaK

I said some pennzoil ultra is not avaialbe and oils here are twice the price in US pennzoil yb cost 6$ per qt and I need 5 and pp will cost12$ per qt
Good luck trying to find Pennzoil 5w-40 for $6-7 a quart in the U.S. You won't find it in store's here. It's like me paying Kuwaiti prices if i had it shipped through amazon, lol. I hope you get this figured out and stop using that 20w-50.

Last edited by NyCSnEaK; 08-19-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Taresh

Smile

Good luck trying to find Pennzoil 5w-40 for $6-7 a quart in the U.S. You won't find it in store's here. It's like me paying Kuwaiti prices if i had it shipped through amazon, lol. I hope you get this figured out and stop using that 20w-50.
thnx and i hope so too because with 20w50 i'm getting alittle bit higher car temp

Last edited by Taresh; 08-19-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Taresh

guys i just drove the 350z on the highway just to make sure of the pressure and here are the results
First of all remember that i switched to 20w50 after i freaked out
1-when i started the engine it was 105 F OUTSIDE at idle it was 90 psi for 30 seconds
2-after many miles at the highway i stopped at a traffic light
so hot idle was 30 psi
3-normal driving the rev was 2200 rpm and it was 90 psi (almost 70 mph)
3- at 6000 rpm it was little less than 120 psi
4- somewhere in the city rpm 2000 pressure was 60 and the speed was between 56 mph to 69 mph
5-after i raced some car and stopped at a traffic light it went little below 30 and the car temp went up a little
should i be worried about this oil?
Old 08-19-2010, 05:06 PM
NyCSnEaK

I have no expertise as a trained professional when it comes to discussing oil. But I believe, if you read this http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/, you can make an informed decision on what oil to put into your Z and be worry free. Read every chapter.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Taresh

Unhappy

I have no expertise as a trained professional when it comes to discussing oil. But I believe, if you read this http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/, you can make an informed decision on what oil to put into your Z and be worry free. Read every chapter.
Thx will do but even the guys in bobistheoilguy couldn't agree some says stick with5w30 as the manual recommended other says it's good to use 20w50 in hot weathers and some tells me to use synthetic 10w40
I'm confused more than ever
Old 08-20-2010, 05:46 AM
Taresh

Thx I've read it your the best now I know which oil to use thx a million time
Old 08-20-2010, 10:05 AM
NyCSnEaK

Afwan Taresh. No problem fellow Zer ; ). Glad you got it figured out.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:19 AM
VQdriver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thx will do but even the guys in bobistheoilguy couldn't agree some says stick with5w30 as the manual recommended other says it's good to use 20w50 in hot weathers and some tells me to use synthetic 10w40
I'm confused more than ever
I'll admit I do follow BITOG, my350z and g35driver for oil recommendation, as we are a bunch of oil snobs, but the truth of the matter is you really can't go wrong with any oil mentioned as long as you stick with a prudent oil change interval. It's probably better for fuel economy to stick with oem spec oil whether it's synthetic or not. Even the high viscosity will work. Our cars have been tested stock on climates just as hot as yours under more extreme driving situations you will not see on a daily basis. Believe that and just put any reputable multi viscosity oil (within warranty) and be done with it. No worries
Old 08-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Taresh

Smile

Originally Posted by VQdriver
I'll admit I do follow BITOG, my350z and g35driver for oil recommendation, as we are a bunch of oil snobs, but the truth of the matter is you really can't go wrong with any oil mentioned as long as you stick with a prudent oil change interval. It's probably better for fuel economy to stick with oem spec oil whether it's synthetic or not. Even the high viscosity will work. Our cars have been tested stock on climates just as hot as yours under more extreme driving situations you will not see on a daily basis. Believe that and just put any reputable multi viscosity oil (within warranty) and be done with it. No worries
That's true but 20w50 is too thick in high rev up 6000 the car will heat up a little bit and that's it I just changed the oil again to pp 5w30 and I will change it after 3000 to 4000 miles because if I didn't I will lose the warranty privilage
Old 08-21-2010, 01:50 PM
VQdriver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's true but 20w50 is too thick in high rev up 6000 the car will heat up a little bit and that's it I just changed the oil again to pp 5w30 and I will change it after 3000 to 4000 miles because if I didn't I will lose the warranty privilage
It's ironic the Nissan dealer would push 20w50 viscosity on you when it's not recommended in the manual and would say that using the correct 5w-30 synthetic will deny warranty coverage. Am I wrong?

If you're going to be redlining the motor with every gear change in the hot weather I'd lean towards at least a 40 or 50 wt. No harm no foul either way, just for peace of mind. In theory the thicker viscosity will stand up to the heat and pressure time after time you beat on it if that's how you drive. I've used everything from Mobil 1 5W-30, 15w-50 to Castrol Syntec 5w-50 and Rotella 5w-40 synthetic in my SR20det powered racecar (4cyl upgraded turbo, stock internals). I used the thick stuff when we drove 1,000mi each way to Road Atlanta, qualified, then went up against Rhys Millen in the first rd of Formula D ('05) and drove back home in one piece avg 30mpg mind you. In drifting we're consistently bouncing off the rev limiter and doing all kinds of unnatural stuff like clutch kick under full throttle, etc. No problems using thick stuff during the humid summer even though it's not recommended by oem, but I wouldn't mind using a 30wt synthetic either. It's just what we had to use at the time.

On the other hand, these VQ engines are designed to operate under ALL climate conditions using 30-40wt. Whatever you have in the crankcase, just keep it, make sure the level stays full and quit worrying! lol

fwiw, BMW M cars use 50 to 60wt and they know something about naturally aspirated engines that rev way higher than ours! Now those things run hot, run ungodly long oil change intervals and rev super high!

Last edited by VQdriver; 08-21-2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: booo we're anal about our oil here! haha
Old 08-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Taresh

Originally Posted by VQdriver
It's ironic the Nissan dealer would push 20w50 viscosity on you when it's not recommended in the manual and would say that using the correct 5w-30 synthetic will deny warranty coverage. Am I wrong?

If you're going to be redlining the motor with every gear change in the hot weather I'd lean towards at least a 40 or 50 wt. No harm no foul either way, just for peace of mind. In theory the thicker viscosity will stand up to the heat and pressure time after time you beat on it if that's how you drive. I've used everything from Mobil 1 5W-30, 15w-50 to Castrol Syntec 5w-50 and Rotella 5w-40 synthetic in my SR20det powered racecar (4cyl upgraded turbo, stock internals). I used the thick stuff when we drove 1,000mi each way to Road Atlanta, qualified, then went up against Rhys Millen in the first rd of Formula D ('05) and drove back home in one piece avg 30mpg mind you. In drifting we're consistently bouncing off the rev limiter and doing all kinds of unnatural stuff like clutch kick under full throttle, etc. No problems using thick stuff during the humid summer even though it's not recommended by oem, but I wouldn't mind using a 30wt synthetic either. It's just what we had to use at the time.

On the other hand, these VQ engines are designed to operate under ALL climate conditions using 30-40wt. Whatever you have in the crankcase, just keep it, make sure the level stays full and quit worrying! lol

fwiw, BMW M cars use 50 to 60wt and they know something about naturally aspirated engines that rev way higher than ours! Now those things run hot, run ungodly long oil change intervals and rev super high!
Actually I've read your post 3 times because there many useful info in it and you are absolutely right actually I use my car In normal driving conditions with low rpm up to 3000 rpm but sometimes a mustang , s2000 , 300c srt8 ..etc want to beat my car coz he smoked a 350z with a vq engine and in that case I will use the full power of my z to prove that 350z is a decent race car so I shift every 7500 rpm and because of that I want to choose the best oil with the right weight and I did I bought 5 qt of pp and changed the oil and now I will quit worrying and I could get some sleep at night without thinking that did I damage the engine with that oil is it the right weight ... Etc
now I will try to call nissan Corp office in Dubai and ask them if they could send a copy of the owner manual anyway
thx again for your help