Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

4.08 Final Drive on HR : any laptime improvment ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 01:47 AM
CroneOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey NAbuilder
Did you notice a lot of difference after your flywheel install? Quicker response off the line? I've always wondered if it would help the laggy engagement.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:18 PM
NAbuilderZ33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CroneOne
Hey NAbuilder
Did you notice a lot of difference after your flywheel install? Quicker response off the line? I've always wondered if it would help the laggy engagement.
I did, it definitly scared me how fast i reach redline now. Driving my Z everyday I tend to test out different acceleration techniques from a stop. With my current rear tire setup (285 35 18) I accel extremely hard when rolling from 0mph with the added rubber. If I floor it I usually stay at around 3200-3300 RPM to launch. And from a 20mph roll I am in 2nd gear an already in my powerband, giving me a car and a half jump from another friends HRs with bolt ons before shifting to third. The Z1 flywheel and 4.08s all complement each other, both helping to rev my car faster. I have a video with Kingbaby that shows me beating an HR on a 20mph roll.

350Z VQ35DE vs (2) 350Z VQ35HR:

At this time I didn't install my Flywheel yet and needed a retune. We both plan on making another video soon. I wish there was a track here in Hawaii, id also share my times with you if I could.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:49 PM
CroneOne

Nice one. Is the camera car an automatic with 3.5's? You can hear those long gears streeetching. Your middle Z is kick ***.
Yeah you would definitely find a whole new fun challenge at the track because it's not about HP necessarily. Traction, braking, driving line, acceleration ... so many things to think about but when it clicks together the feeling is amazing.

- I was so stoked that the 4.08s had me in such better RPMs coming out of corners. Totally worth it.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:34 PM
NAbuilderZ33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice one. Is the camera car an automatic with 3.5's? You can hear those long gears streeetching. Your middle Z is kick ***.
Yeah you would definitely find a whole new fun challenge at the track because it's not about HP necessarily. Traction, braking, driving line, acceleration ... so many things to think about but when it clicks together the feeling is amazing.

- I was so stoked that the 4.08s had me in such better RPMs coming out of corners. Totally worth it.
Camera car was a manual HR Nismo with CAI, Art Pipes, exhaust and tune. I was surprised how well my non revup performed just by adding a 4.08 FD.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:48 PM
webrunner5

I am a old turd, 67 years old, so I have a LOT of experience with a LOT of different cars. Even made a living as a Dealership Mechanic for over 10 years. I have owned over 200 cars and never owned a dealership. You name it I have had it. Not because I am rich, because when I was young like a lot of you anyone could buy about anything killer used for 4k or under. How times have changed sad to say.

I am sure the reason the "Lower Gear" is slower is the 350z does not have a lot of torque stock. There is a reason people have 454 ci. motors in cars lol. I would imagine in a drag race 0 to 60 will be faster but coming out of a corner out of a road race track would actually hurt you speed wise.

Torque sort of relates to a sling shot effect versus top speed horsepower wise on a road course. Naturally you need both torque and horsepower to win in the long run.

Everything you do to a engine and drive train, "rear end ratio" has a cause and effect. My Nismo has what I think enough HP sort of stock, but for what it sort of was designed for, "track racing", is short on torque. And from what I have seen other than Forced Induction torque is HARD to come by in the 3.5 HQ let alone the DE engine. I am all ears to be proved wrong. Looking for more everything, Torque and HP.

Last edited by webrunner5; 05-11-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:15 AM
Nabush

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One more question for you guys...

Do you think that we have to make a new ECU tuning after a 4.08 FD installation ??

I remember for examples that the BMW M3 didn't cope well with modified FD because of the vanos which didn't seem to work right when the FD was modified...

Heard of anything similar on 350Z (HR) Z ??? (since it has variable cams timing at intake and exhaust)

Thanks
Old 05-19-2014, 01:00 PM
CroneOne

Interesting. I'd like to know as well if the gear swap would need a tune.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:36 PM
Toneloc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. I'd like to know as well if the gear swap would need a tune.
Why would you need a tune? unless you mean to up your revs?
Old 05-21-2014, 06:49 PM
Toneloc

There is all this hear say talk don't get me wrong its great but I need facts and videos...sure you gain seconds on a certain track if that was your goal then that's great with gears...but the majority of us are looking for faster acceleration and lower 0 to 60mph and drag times... you have the same hp you add gears you are increasing your torque value % and it feels faster and you have to shift more...but do you necessarily gain?

pros: placebo effect of it feeling faster

gains on tight tracks where 3.5 has you caught in between shifts or in the bottom of the power band

cons: loss mpg depending on if you drive a lot of highway
more shifting sooner
loud exhaust annoying cruising 75+

Im at the top of 3rd gearing crossing the end of the 1/8mile if I had 4.08's I could shift and be in fourth and maybe gain a tad...I just want factual proof...take to cars same hp dyno one with stock gears and one with 4.08's and roll race and see if there is actually a gain
Old 05-23-2014, 03:54 AM
Nabush

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Toneloc
Why would you need a tune? unless you mean to up your revs?
Because some engines take in count the speed to adjust some engine parameters... Like the vanos on "old" euro (286 ans 321hp) E36 M3/E46 M3 (343hp)
Old 05-23-2014, 06:22 PM
Toneloc

Originally Posted by Nabush
Because some engines take in count the speed to adjust some engine parameters... Like the vanos on "old" euro (286 ans 321hp) E36 M3/E46 M3 (343hp)
That doesn't apply to the z...bolt on and enjoy