Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Ticking noise from engine when pressing gas pedal. Motor not running.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 06:05 AM
Doc_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise from engine when pressing gas pedal. Motor not running.

Hey guys,

So changed my plugs, removed the tb's and now I have the high idle issue. Been doing the tb reset but so far the best I can get it is 1100rpm idle.

However, during my last pedal range I noticed that there is now a loudish ticking combing from the engine when the ignition is in the ON position and I press the gas pedal. Note this is with the motor not running, just ignition on.

I placed something on the pedal and listened in the engine bay and it's coming from the front side of the motor. Almost like injectors or from the VCT units. What's going on?
Old 09-25-2014, 08:02 AM
gabez33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its normal....does it sound kinda like a bbq igniter tick? Lots of Z's have this (HR-)

Best way to reset your idle, is disconnect the TBs, then the ECU, then the battery, let it sit for about 3-4 hours with the lights turned on and the key in the ON position to remove all drain. You can tap the terminals too. ***this is what finally worked for me*** just passing it along....then turn off the lights remove the key and reconnect everything, start her up and let it idle for a good 10mins. As long as your TB's arent damaged or your ECU damaged this will work
Old 09-25-2014, 09:02 PM
Doc_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gabez33
its normal....does it sound kinda like a bbq igniter tick? Lots of Z's have this (HR-)

Best way to reset your idle, is disconnect the TBs, then the ECU, then the battery, let it sit for about 3-4 hours with the lights turned on and the key in the ON position to remove all drain. You can tap the terminals too. ***this is what finally worked for me*** just passing it along....then turn off the lights remove the key and reconnect everything, start her up and let it idle for a good 10mins. As long as your TB's arent damaged or your ECU damaged this will work
Thank you for the feedback. On the ticking noise, it almost sounds like a buzzing noise, but a fraction slower. I'm sure it wasn't there before but after the 6th time I did the pedal dance I started hearing it. I hope it's normal.

Car is going to the dealer for a reset, if it doesn't work I'll try your method. Thanks