Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Noise with clutch depressed fully

Old 03-23-2016, 05:13 PM
gossf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noise with clutch depressed fully

Just got through with the JWT clutch and flywheel install for my HR 350z. I noticed after some driving that there was a whirring, grinding sound when the clutch was depressed fully. I also noticed it went away when I slightly released the clutch petal, only about half an inch or so. This led me to believe that the csc was pushing the diaphragm Springs too far till they contacted the clutch disk. I've since lowered the clutch petal to decrease the pedal travel and prevent this from happening. However now I'm concerned about the fact that this happened in the first place. I followed the adjustment guide provided by jwt, and the petal was in spec for height (granted it was on the high side). I don't feel like this should have happened. Is there something I should be looking into? I should mention I also just installed the zspeed upgraded csc and zspeed wilwood HD clutch master cylinder.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:54 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Just a suggestion, but perhaps the RJM adjustable clutch pedal would help the situation. By using all those aftermarket parts, you introduced new variables into the system, and it sounds like too much slave cylinder travel. Part of the problem with the original slave failing, at least according to Ryan (RJM) is slight over extension of the pedal, which is why his pedal is supposed to help prevent those failures. Maybe give him a call and see what he thinks.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:43 AM
gossf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcains
Just a suggestion, but perhaps the RJM adjustable clutch pedal would help the situation. By using all those aftermarket parts, you introduced new variables into the system, and it sounds like too much slave cylinder travel. Part of the problem with the original slave failing, at least according to Ryan (RJM) is slight over extension of the pedal, which is why his pedal is supposed to help prevent those failures. Maybe give him a call and see what he thinks.
I've sent him an email, thanks for the tip. My only concern here is I'm only covering up the symptom rather than actually fixing the problem.