Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Valve cover gasket replacement, simple?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 08:44 AM
BRENDANNBL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Valve cover gasket replacement, simple?

ill soon be getting into a 08 base HR and all it needs is a passenger side valve cover gasket. my buddy told me it is a stupid hard job, I have to take apart the whole front of the engine for it. is this true? thanks in advance!
Old 02-06-2018, 09:20 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Welcome, and you need to provide additional information to get any kind of educated response. First, how many miles are on this '08 that you plan to buy? How do you know it needs a new PS valve cover gasket? Are there any leaks from the spark plug gaskets imbedded in the valve cover itself? Have you checked the DIY forum on this topic?
Old 02-06-2018, 10:02 AM
BRENDANNBL

Originally Posted by dkmura
Welcome, and you need to provide additional information to get any kind of educated response. First, how many miles are on this '08 that you plan to buy? How do you know it needs a new PS valve cover gasket? Are there any leaks from the spark plug gaskets imbedded in the valve cover itself? Have you checked the DIY forum on this topic?
145k miles on it, owner told me thats all it needs and that its leaking a little bit. I havent checked out the car yet so im not too sure about any other leaks or the severity of the leak
also i keep finding threads for the de motor but not for the hr motor
Old 02-06-2018, 10:17 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

please take it somewhere and get a pre purchase inspection done........money well spent.

Valve cover is not crazy hard......not crazy easy either.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:29 AM
BRENDANNBL

Originally Posted by eZg
please take it somewhere and get a pre purchase inspection done........money well spent.

Valve cover is not crazy hard......not crazy easy either.
I work at a dealership so ill bring it up here and get it looked at it, main concern is just the job. I know how to work on cars but ive never worked on a Nissan nor a vq motor. I just wanna know the basics to it to see if its a all day job so I can bring it up to my job on my day off and do it.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:42 AM
eZg

About half a day, I would say. Beware, valve covers cost about $400 a set! Z1 Motorsports has a good price on them.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
BRENDANNBL (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 10:44 AM
BRENDANNBL

Originally Posted by eZg
About half a day, I would say. Beware, valve covers cost about $400 a set! Z1 Motorsports has a good price on them.

Good luck!
gotcha gotch. from what my friend told me, I have to take off pulleys and stuff like that but to me that doesn't really make sense. wouldn't I just have to take off the Intake mani and move around the harness and such to access the valve covers?
Old 02-06-2018, 10:49 AM
eZg

no pulleys......just taking off the plenum......then coils packs......and short wiring harnesses, be sure to pay attention.....a VERY common mistake is connection the driver's side logically, which is wrong. ALso need a small cross of RTV on one corner of each side (I forget)

You should be able to find service manual online free somewhere for more specifics.
The following users liked this post:
BRENDANNBL (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 10:55 AM
BRENDANNBL

Originally Posted by eZg
no pulleys......just taking off the plenum......then coils packs......and short wiring harnesses, be sure to pay attention.....a VERY common mistake is connection the driver's side logically, which is wrong. ALso need a small cross of RTV on one corner of each side (I forget)

You should be able to find service manual online free somewhere for more specifics.
okay cool, doesn't seem too bad. im sure I can knock it out on my day off or when I get free time, shop has been dead for past few days. I appreciate the help!
Old 02-06-2018, 09:31 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

I literally just did mine last weekend.

It's 20 bolts and maybe 3 hours of weekend work. That said, be careful. Nissan used **** bolts. I snapped the heads off a couple before even getting to the reccomended tq specs from Nissan on both my valve cover and timing chain cover. These almost felt like one time use bolts TBH, which is a little pathetic.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:01 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by CK_32
I literally just did mine last weekend.

It's 20 bolts and maybe 3 hours of weekend work. That said, be careful. Nissan used **** bolts. I snapped the heads off a couple before even getting to the reccomended tq specs from Nissan on both my valve cover and timing chain cover. These almost felt like one time use bolts TBH, which is a little pathetic.
Really? The rocker cover bolts use hardly any torque (step1: 18 in-lbs, step2: 73 in-lbs). I can't think of any bolt that snaps at 73 in-lbs (only 6 ft-lbs). Were they stretched when you removed them? The FSM shows them as reusable.

Last edited by zakmartin; 02-08-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:01 PM
CK_32

Yea I've got 3 snapped heads at 4-5 ft lbs which is equal to 60-65 inch lb.

90% sure I have closer to 5-6 but I stopped torquing a few early because I felt them starting to give. These 3 snapped because I said the same thing. No way these are snapping at 65 inlb
Old 02-08-2018, 02:33 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Yeah, it's simple. I wouldn't even stress about it. Just look at what you have to disassemble and enjoy yourself.

Last edited by Atreyu'z 350; 02-08-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:39 PM
chewwyy

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I saw recently that RND is making replacement seals for our VC's. Instead of buying a whole new valve cover, you can buy the spark plug gaskets and replace. Has anyone used these yet?

RND Nissan VC kit
Old 02-08-2018, 04:12 PM
CK_32

Or if you want to be REALLY lazy and cheap just use RTV.

My spare motor I picked up went that rout. Good luck cleaning it off after if you decide to use a real gasket again tho lol
Old 02-09-2018, 05:18 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Make sure you change the spark plugs while you are at it. You will see what I mean when you get to the back 2 plugs
Old 02-09-2018, 11:41 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Originally Posted by chewwyy
I saw recently that RND is making replacement seals for our VC's. Instead of buying a whole new valve cover, you can buy the spark plug gaskets and replace. Has anyone used these yet?

RND Nissan VC kit
That would be awesome. But isn't the problem with that, the fact that we have those baffles within the valve cover that are held in there by a 'special' type of glue that when pried out becomes a major PITA to keep back in place once we replace those seals..? I thought that was the main problem with that DIY, and that people were having better luck just either replacing the whole valve cover(which is still ridiculous in itself) or putting RTV sealer around the already worn out tube seals, which is ehh, not really good to do either.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:48 AM
chewwyy

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
That would be awesome. But isn't the problem with that, the fact that we have those baffles within the valve cover that are held in there by a 'special' type of glue that when pried out becomes a major PITA to keep back in place once we replace those seals..? I thought that was the main problem with that DIY, and that people were having better luck just either replacing the whole valve cover(which is still ridiculous in itself) or putting RTV sealer around the already worn out tube seals, which is ehh, not really good to do either.
In that kit, they provide you with new Spark Plug O-Rings and require you to slightly bore out the Plug Holes for them to fit properly. I need to eventually do mine, so I was wondering if anyone had tried em already.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:37 AM
Atreyu'z 350

I haven't done that, but I've heard about it.. I'm curious how snug those replacement tube seals will fit within the rocker cover once the baffle has been bored out. It was my understanding that the baffle assisted the tube seals with staying in place, and that boring out the baffle may cause the seals to drop slightly...?