Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

How to adjust cam sprocket timing PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 11:26 AM
StephenM57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed issue, adjusting the cam timing individually

So my VQHR has its timing cover off, and when i took the primary chain off the cam gears turned. My right cam assembly is lined up perfectly for when the #1 piston is at TDC, and i only have to twist the crank a little to get the crank lines up at TDC, how am i supposed to get the left side cam assembly lined up to what its supposed to be without turning the whole assembly and unaligning the other cam gears on the right side
Edit: the reason i didn't know how to manually turn it is because when you do all the tension from the cam springs makes it jolt, I went nice and slow and even though it was "jolting" i kept turning it, and eventually after probably 30 minutes it finally lined up, and now my timing is all lined up! Thanks for all the help!

Last edited by StephenM57; 04-10-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:25 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,125 Likes on 6,578 Posts

Please dont double post
Old 03-27-2019, 12:37 PM
StephenM57

Different question, different post.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:52 PM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm late but just turn the left cam assembly before you put the main timing chain on. Why do you think this wont work?
Old 04-01-2019, 08:52 PM
StephenM57

Originally Posted by rancor
I'm late but just turn the left cam assembly before you put the main timing chain on. Why do you think this wont work?
How? Thats the question.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:38 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

A locking chain clamp, you don't want to use the cam bolt. Put somthing, rag or maybe old serpentine belt, between it and the intake variable timing adjuster so you don't scratch it and turn be cam backwards to the correct position. Turn gently you don't want to force a valve into a piston if you turn the wrong way. Then reinstall the main timing chain making sure the marks on the chain line up to the marks on the intake cam gears and crank.

The cam assemblies are not connected without the main timing chain in place. You can turn the left or right assemblies independent of each other and the crank.

Amazon Amazon
- other brands make them so just get somting like it

https://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Piece-Rubber-Wrench-9-45570/dp/B00K92810A/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_469_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=X8T79B6AVERBXYG86F6R#customerReviews https://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Piece-Rubber-Wrench-9-45570/dp/B00K92810A/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_469_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=X8T79B6AVERBXYG86F6R#customerReviews
- There are more styles like this and being rubber it wont scratch not sure how well it holds but maybe more options

Last edited by rancor; 04-02-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:43 PM
StephenM57

Originally Posted by rancor
A locking chain clamp, you don't want to use the cam bolt. Put somthing, rag or maybe old serpentine belt, between it and the intake variable timing adjuster so you don't scratch it and turn be cam backwards to the correct position. Turn gently you don't want to force a valve into a piston if you turn the wrong way. Then reinstall the main timing chain making sure the marks on the chain line up to the marks on the intake cam gears and crank.

The cam assemblies are not connected without the main timing chain in place. You can turn the left or right assemblies independent of each other and the crank.

https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-VISE-GR.../dp/B00004SBCB - other brands make them so just get somting like it

https://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Pie...ustomerReviews - There are more styles like this and being rubber it wont scratch not sure how well it holds but maybe more options
Thank you! I really appreciate the help!
Old 06-30-2021, 09:13 AM
Nonametedz33

Default Old thread but please help!

Originally Posted by StephenM57
So my VQHR has its timing cover off, and when i took the primary chain off the cam gears turned. My right cam assembly is lined up perfectly for when the #1 piston is at TDC, and i only have to twist the crank a little to get the crank lines up at TDC, how am i supposed to get the left side cam assembly lined up to what its supposed to be without turning the whole assembly and unaligning the other cam gears on the right side
Edit: the reason i didn't know how to manually turn it is because when you do all the tension from the cam springs makes it jolt, I went nice and slow and even though it was "jolting" i kept turning it, and eventually after probably 30 minutes it finally lined up, and now my timing is all lined up! Thanks for all the help!
So you had no valve problems after rotating the cam sprocket? Just wondering because I moved mine and in worried I bent a valve
Old 09-04-2023, 10:56 AM
MaxHR

Originally Posted by Nonametedz33
So you had no valve problems after rotating the cam sprocket? Just wondering because I moved mine and in worried I bent a valve

im in the same boat. Both of my sprockets are a tooth off and need to be turned slightly clockwise to line up. The crank is already lined up though. I just don’t wanna hurt anything when I turn the left and right side cam sprockets slightly clockwise. I’ll do this with the main timing chain off of course.

Left side to go slightly clockwise

Right side too

Crank seems on point?
Old 09-04-2023, 11:02 AM
StephenM57

Originally Posted by MaxHR
im in the same boat. Both of my sprockets are a tooth off and need to be turned slightly clockwise to line up. The crank is already lined up though. I just don’t wanna hurt anything when I turn the left and right side cam sprockets slightly clockwise. I’ll do this with the main timing chain off of course.

Left side to go slightly clockwise

Right side too

Crank seems on point?
if I remember correctly i had the main timing chain off and i ended up turning the top section until it eventually lined up, i would make sure that no pistons are at TDC before turning it and it takes FOREVER to finally get everything lined up but i did it. No clue if thats the right way to do it, i kinda just said **** it became i had no other help, no bent valves tho. Cars still running and timings good haha
Old 09-04-2023, 11:11 AM
MaxHR

if I remember correctly i had the main timing chain off and i ended up turning the top section until it eventually lined up, i would make sure that no pistons are at TDC before turning it and it takes FOREVER to finally get everything lined up but i did it. No clue if thats the right way to do it, i kinda just said **** it became i had no other help, no bent valves tho. Cars still running and timings good haha
did you use the chain clamp to get the cam sprockets to turn? I only need to move my cam sprockets slightly so… you think I’d need to worry about where the pistons are or you think my crank is fine where it’s at? My crank is lined up for TDC
Old 09-04-2023, 11:15 AM
StephenM57

did you use the chain clamp to get the cam sprockets to turn? I only need to move my cam sprockets slightly so… you think I’d need to worry about where the pistons are or you think my crank is fine where it’s at? My crank is lined up for TDC
i have no clue how to turn it to the left, pretty sure the tensioner locks the chain up when you do, turning it left is probably the smart way to do it tbh. I disconnected main chain, made sure no pistons were at TDC and then used a socket to turn each of the top side individually until they finally lined up, probably took me like 30 mins per side. This was in 2017 tho so cant remember too much. I also had limited tools/knowledge/skill so I probably did it the dumb way
Old 09-04-2023, 11:17 AM
StephenM57

if crank is at tdc you gotta be careful about the cam tensioners being spring loaded and slamming it down, might want to test any theories with crank not at tdc, see how it reacts and if everything's fine move crank back to tdc and do it.
Old 09-04-2023, 12:51 PM
MaxHR

i have no clue how to turn it to the left, pretty sure the tensioner locks the chain up when you do, turning it left is probably the smart way to do it tbh. I disconnected main chain, made sure no pistons were at TDC and then used a socket to turn each of the top side individually until they finally lined up, probably took me like 30 mins per side. This was in 2017 tho so cant remember too much. I also had limited tools/knowledge/skill so I probably did it the dumb way

haha you’re good bro, I appreciate your help!

im not actually turning it left, I’m turning both the cam sprockets right, or clockwise. They just need to turn like a tooth to get on line…

if I’m turning the cam sprockets clockwise just a slight amount to line up with the crank, I shouldn’t have to worry about hitting a piston right? Since the crank spins clockwise and since it’s already on TDC?