Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 10:38 AM
btaylor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter driving

Hi,
When I got my Z I knew I was not buying a car that was going to resemble a 4X4 on a snow-packed icy roads. However, I was shocked at how 'dead' I was a few days ago in Raleigh, NC.

My rear tires are worn (need to go) but are certainly not bald.

Three questions:

1) Will new tires REALLY make a difference in Winter weather.
2) Will additional weight in the back REALLY make a difference.
3) I'd like to replace my rear tires with a quality tire but don't feel the need to get something of super sticky quality only to be eaten by mostly boring city driving.

Thoughts on any or all three of these?
Thanks,
Brian
Old 12-27-2004, 10:45 AM
ttsupra94

Get winter tires. I've seen from numerous threads that they make a huge difference. Weight should help out some, but if you have crap tires its not going to be all that effective. You can't really get everything you want in this situation. The best way is to get winter tires for cold season and nice perfomance tires for the rest but its not cheap. I just dont drive mine if there is snow, ice or the possibility of either. All season tires might be what you are looking for but it will not give you traction like winter tires.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:43 PM
grifferjr

Default Re: winter driving

Originally posted by btaylor
Hi,
When I got my Z I knew I was not buying a car that was going to resemble a 4X4 on a snow-packed icy roads. However, I was shocked at how 'dead' I was a few days ago in Raleigh, NC.

My rear tires are worn (need to go) but are certainly not bald.

Three questions:

1) Will new tires REALLY make a difference in Winter weather.
2) Will additional weight in the back REALLY make a difference.
3) I'd like to replace my rear tires with a quality tire but don't feel the need to get something of super sticky quality only to be eaten by mostly boring city driving.

Thoughts on any or all three of these?
Thanks,
Brian
to answer your questions:

1) yes, yes, yes and even one more yes: snow tires will make all the difference. my blizzacks make the car handle better than my last FWD with all seasons, a grand prix.
2)in theory adding weight does not help. i did this last winter with my oems, and i thought it helped a little but the car was still crap in any amount of snow. even a dusting.
3)was this even a question, or statement. either way i think i get your drift. in order to pick a better tire, just go to tirerack and start hunting. each tire should have reviews of other people that have owned them. when i did this you can narrow your review search down by making sure you only read reviews of people with Z's.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:31 AM
seanlaw

got caught in a snow dusting sunday night and have winter tires...can't say the car was better than a fwd car but it got me home alive and also the car was all in one piece.

acceleration from a complete stop was terrible. rear end seemed like it was a pair of skis on ice but again i stress only from accelerating from a complete stop (what can you expect from a rear wheel drive sports car)...

but the tires will get me home if for some reason it starts to snow with a dusting...just my two cents...oh yea carry some cat litter for traction if you get stuck plus it's 25lbs extra on the rear end...!
Old 12-28-2004, 08:26 AM
Strife350z

get a set of the best winter tires you can afford (i recommend equal width front and back - 215 or 225) and you'll be fine... adding weight to the trunk won't, in my experience, make a noticeable difference