Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

iforged and tire pressure sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 02:59 PM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default iforged and tire pressure sensors?

Okay... I've decided to take the plunge and go with Iforged Senekas on my Z.

For anyone else who has purchased these wheels... are you using your stock tire pressure sensors?

If so, how are they mounted?

Finally, where did you get the materials you are using to mount the sensors?

Thanks in advance for the info!!!
Old 02-07-2003, 05:10 AM
mcduck

Does anyone have info on this???????

I suppose I could mount my Iforged wheels without pressure sensors, but would prefer to keep them.

Anybody done this with another brand of wheel and had to use a "band" or "epoxy" or something similar. Trying to find out where to get the materials to mount my sensors...
Old 02-09-2003, 10:09 PM
rodH

I would like to know as well
Old 02-10-2003, 01:34 PM
bdiddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mcduck
Does anyone have info on this???????

I suppose I could mount my Iforged wheels without pressure sensors, but would prefer to keep them.

Anybody done this with another brand of wheel and had to use a "band" or "epoxy" or something similar. Trying to find out where to get the materials to mount my sensors...
How are they mounted in the stock wheel?
Old 02-11-2003, 09:24 AM
Driven

They are mounted to the valve stem. But unless you are lucky enough to have the same angle on your aftermarket you need to either epoxy the base (without valve stem) to the rim or band them in. I am trying to procure the banding material sometime this week.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:52 AM
Brad4rdHay

How ould one epoxy the "box" part to the wheel...doesnt it have to be attached to the valve stem? I want to know so I can infor the idiots at the tire place....but hey, I guess im an idiot too
Old 02-11-2003, 11:22 AM
R1Rider

I would like to know, too. iForged tells me my wheels will be ready in a couple of weeks.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:47 PM
Driven

Forgive me for partial information. I'm only reitterating what I've either read or understood from other posts. If you do a search on pressure sensors you'll likely find what you are looking for because this has been discussed quite a bit by others. It is my understanding that the tire pressure sensor is in the box which is held in place by the valve stem from the factory. I haven't taken mine apart yet so can't give first hand testimony...but as I understand it when you disassemble the valve stem you can also detach the valve stem portion from the box which is what you need to epoxy or band to your new wheels. You have to be carefull when you have someone break the seal of the stock tires and inform them of their existance or they will likely break them. If they are informed and break any of them they are on the hook to replace. Or as far as I'm concerned they are liable if they damage one trying to install it on a wheel that isn't designed for them! FYI...you should keep track of which one came out of which wheel and place them appropriately in your new wheels or you won't know which is which...the computer doesn't automatically decipher which corner is which.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:42 PM
ZDreamZ

here's a question..... If I didn't want to install the pressure sensors, could I just leave them in the stock wheels or do they have to be put into the new wheel? Sorry I ask it's just a local rim shop told me they have to be installed. Please get back
Old 02-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Driven

Not sure exactly what you are asking? You can do with your sensors whatevey you damned well please. If you don't want to use them in your new wheels...then just buy a set and have them put in. The metal valvestem ones look pretty sweet and have metal caps to boot and might break ya though...they are about .....you ready.......$2.00 each! That means you might be out $8.00 on this venture. Let us know how you handle it.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:34 AM
bdiddy

I think that ZDreamZ is asking what happens to the rest of the monitor system when the sensors are no longer there. The system "may" turn on and show the yellow light the entire time, but others in the forum have experienced this at first just to have it go away. I believe that the wheels have to rotate the sensors tripping the system to "start-up", but if there aren't any sensors to trip the system it won't turn on. You'll get the -- on the gauge and that will be the worst of it. I'm leaving mine in the stock wheels for use at the track with race tires, I'll leave it in the tire pressure monitor mode while on the track. If it proves to be a benifit (keeps me from running around the car with a pyrometer) then I'll keep them for the track...even if I go with wider aftermarket wheels for the track. (I always do )
Old 02-12-2003, 06:04 PM
ZDreamZ

Yea, my main concern was the comp. in the pod. Thanks for clarifying Bdiddy. I will probably leave them in the stock tires don't wanna run the chance of the sensors being broken. Thanks
Old 02-13-2003, 02:04 PM
Driven

Sorry...didn't get the question. I'm undecided myself if I'm going to go through the hassle of banding them in my aftermarket wheels because I haven't decided what to do with my stock Performance wheels. I'll either sell them, or use them on the track if I get into autocross.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:15 PM
bdiddy

I've only put about 20 miles on the car since putting the new wheels on, but in that time the yellow warning light did not come on once.