Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Wheel Hop ????

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 04:42 PM
rlwjr1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Hop ????

Be Sure to use the Search feature first, as the topic may have been posted already.

I searched, can't find anything beyond Volk Wheel threads and Hip-Hop "music".

How can wheel hop be eliminated or at least reduced???
Old 09-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Gryphin

feather the clutch... dont launch so high... suspension mods.. lower air pressure.. different tires.. LSD/clutch... drivetrain mods... driver mods
Old 09-11-2006, 09:33 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

At the drag strip? Post some time slips and lets take a look.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:08 AM
rlwjr1

Originally Posted by Gryphin
feather the clutch... dont launch so high... suspension mods.. lower air pressure.. different tires.. LSD/clutch... drivetrain mods... driver mods
Rolling start in first gear....what kind of suspension mods....have a LSD....Crawford cats and intake,Z tube....I've been drag racing manual trans cars since 1990!!!
Old 09-12-2006, 06:20 PM
rlwjr1

"Insert Sound of Crickets Chirping Here...
Old 09-12-2006, 06:32 PM
rlwjr1

Anyone try this...

NOTE THE ALUMINUM REAR DIFF BUSHING

or this...

NOTE THE TWO ALUMINUM FRONT DIFF BUSHING
Old 09-14-2006, 06:16 PM
rlwjr1

I think it is fair assumption by the deafening silence that nobody has a handle on wheel hop. Thanks...
Old 09-14-2006, 09:31 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rlwjr1

I think it is fair assumption by the deafening silence that nobody has a handle on wheel hop. Thanks...

I agree, no one knows. You'll only ever get a smart *** answer like "you don't know how to launch noob" but no one is actually capable of giving an explanation.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:29 AM
sfarrah

I've got them-that's my subrame in the pictures. I installed those after I blew out the rear stock diff bushing at the drag strip. Do they help to eliminate wheelhop? Yes, they are quite effective but haven't eliminated it completely. It's hard to give a measure of effectiveness but I'd say 75% of it is gone.

I can now rip from a dead stop on dry pavement and sometimes I will get a very slight chatter from the wheels vs the violent wheel hop I was experiencing before. Most of the time it just lights up the tires though. In the rain I would get pretty nasty wheelhop through the first 4 gears. Now, depending on how wet the roads are and how smooth the pavement is I mostly just get a nice drift/slide but will get some hop at times, but not nearly as bad as before.

I haven't launched on street tires at the drag strip but I need to give it a shot as I normally run my ET Streets. The ET streets are very effective at the dragstrip as they are soft enough to absorb the shock to the drivetrain. I rarely (maybe 2-3 times ever) get wheelhop with ET streets with the few exceptions being doing a burnout with little water in the waterbox. I've had much more wheelhop using Nitto and BFG drag radials during burnouts and launches.

As I have come to understand it, several factors can cause wheelhop. It is caused by a compression or binding and a subsequent release of the suspension and drivetrain. Rubber bushings such as those in our diff, subframe, control arms, toe rods, traction rods, etc as well as even the transmission mounts can all be contributors. Stiffer shocks and springs have been known to help reduce it. Since the bushings in our diffs and subframe are the largest, have the most amount of play and are the closest pieces of the drivetrain downstream from the wheels on the pavement they are the easiest and most effective areas to target and combat wheelhop. I will also be adding solid subframe bushings when they are released from SPL. The less flex in your drivetrain/suspension the better. Using aftermarket suspension pieces that utilize spherical bearings/rod ends will also reduce the flex and distortion of your suspension under load.

I've used subframe collars which compress the soft rubber/silicone bushings limiting their movement in my z32 with some success, but am swapping them for solid aluminum units. I've got solid diff mounts sitting in the garage awaiting install also for that car. Those that have performed this mod on the z32's have pretty much eliminated all wheelhop from the feedback I have gathered and experienced in cars I have driven with the same setup.

Wheelhop is nasty and can do nasty things. I've seen several axles snap at the drag strip because of it. The solid bushings come at a price of some additional cabin noise, but for me it's a worthwhile tradeoff. Urethane and Delrin are other options as they are a harder compound, but I decided if I'm going to go through the hassle of swapping these out I might as well do it right the first time. Solid aluminum has zero flex and will never wear out.

spl's subframe collars for the z32
z32 subframe bushings
z32 diff bushings
Old 09-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

I appreciate the explanation, hopefully we can make some more headway if others chime in with reasonable explanations and solutions.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:02 PM
davidv

If wheel hop is a design (suspension) deficiency, would I not get it 100 percent of the time? I had problems with hop during my first racing season (2004). With practice , it has been all but eliminated. Break down the start into two steps:

a. Transfer weight from the front of the car over the rear tires

b. Accelerate

For me, hop is the result of a poor starting technique: I am anxious about getting a perfect light, and allow the clutch to grab too quickly. The car does not get a chance to transfer the weight over the rear tires. The tires bite, slip, bite, slip...wheel hop.

BTW I race Summit ET with a dial-in. Reaction time is critical for a win. I have to run my dial-in every round or I lose. Wheel hop will put me way over my dial-in.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:48 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Thanks david...you always have something useful to say
Old 06-05-2007, 06:30 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

Bumping this old thread instead of starting a new one to see if there is any new information.

I almost never drive with the traction control off but I felt feisty yesterday. Leaving a on-ramp light with no one in front or behind me, I turned the traction control off rolled off the line and nailed the throttle. I have a significant amount of wheel hop, but I wouldn't call it "violent".

I have Tein coilovers as my only suspension mod.

Are there any relatively simple mods to curb this?
Old 06-05-2007, 06:55 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by DVFlyer
Are there any relatively simple mods to curb this?
Yes. A solid rear axle.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:39 AM
twentyinrims

1st Whats wrong with Volks and Hip Hop, I love both
2nd I had an 04 that used to wheel hop, now I have an 06 and it doesn't. Those bums and Nissan must have done something to eliminate it.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:54 AM
sfarrah

First thing I do after I turn the ignition is reach over and shut of TCS. With my setup I very rarely get wheelhop, and if I do it certainly isn't violent.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:36 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

spl bushings, JIC traction rods, proper alignment, proper tecnique...
Old 06-06-2007, 10:38 AM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah get an automatic they have no wheel hop at all. Sorry guys had to do it but it is true they don't have well hop for some reason can someone chime in on why this is.