Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Winter Shoes Installed - SSR Comp-H + Blizzak LM22

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 04:58 PM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Cool but I want to see the car in six inches of snow.
Next time that happens in southeast PA I'll take some pictures for you
Old 11-21-2008, 05:00 PM
sry110

Originally Posted by Spike100
Very good point!… as you mention, it’s best to position your winter wheel/tire setup way inside the wheel-well. That prevents “sandblasting” the side of your car and its paint when driving on winter-maintained streets on which the DOT drops sand for better grip.

Here is my winter wheel/tire setup (more picture “whoring”). “It ain’t prudy,” but works just great

It’s all-square (Dunlop snow tires, 225/55-17” all around) allowing rotating the tires. The all-square setup works with my Performance model 350 z (which is VDC-equipped).

--Spike
==========================================
Your setup actually doesn't look too bad. Mind sharing wheel widths and offsets? Also I like the tire sizes you are using. From an aesthetic standpoint it fills out the front and rear wheel wells very nicely. More meat on the tires probably makes for better snow handling too.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:07 PM
sry110

Originally Posted by SteveZ
I can see why my ASA's have such a deep lug hole now, it takes a very thin and long socket much like my NISMO Ray's to get to the lug nuts. No spacers used at all, the offset is a little less than OEM 18's. Once on, they're tucked n nicely. The lug nuts are shorter than stock and still have plenty of thread engaged, but a standard socket won't even fit in the lug hole, no way. Engaging minimal threads on a Nissan OEM lug stud is not something you want to do, they are notorious for breaking on Nissans for 20 years if you try to run them too short.

I can't strongly recommend the ASA's (JH3?) other than being cheap and reasonably strong, based on their excessive weight (26 lbs in 18") but they nailed the offset, they tuck in to avoid blasting the finish (other than up front, when wheels turn, about all you can do it get some sort of guard). At least they fit well, but knowing you could run a 17-18 lb 17" or 18"wheel, I'm likely to sell them this year.

It's a painted cast wheel with clear coat, cheap, and you can see they've taken some abuse, but for snows they're not bad other than the -10 whp feeling when you swap them.

I just wish they had the 17's that cleared the Brembos 3 years ago, that was my biggest constraint in using a 17" wheel. Running 18's is less effective and it sucks for the price of the tires, my rears are done after 3 Winters and are over $300 a pop for Pirellis. Fronts are holding up well, but I'm looking at another $700 for tires and mounting this Winter.

It's either that, or the car sits all Winter in CT, because with my Summer tires, even a thick dusting of snow, or any freezing rain, the car cannot get out of the parking lot. I once got my Z stuck in my driveway with the RE040's because the dew froze in the AM, plus those tires are a nightmare cold for traction even w/o snow or ice.

It's just hard because this year I've been running 21 lb 19" LMGT4's with 245/35/19F, 275/35/19R, it's very hard to give up that kind of traction and wheels lighter than the stock 18 G Coupe had in '04. If $$$ were no object, I'd get a set of the same wheels in 18's for Winter use, they just rock.

I know what you're saying about that terrible feeling after you put on the winter setup. On the other hand it's like getting a new car all over again when you put the summer wheels back on in March / April.

My problem with the SSR's sometimes is that I'm not used to how lightweight (and less WR^2) they are compared to my summer wheels, and I do a lot of wheel spinning on cold mornings when trying to pull out onto main roads, even in dry conditions. They just want to spin up so fast that the tires lose grip, then traction control kicks in etc. Usually after the first couple of weeks I get used to the lighter weight, and smaller contact patch of the winter tires compared to the summer ones and I ease off the gas a bit. It's quite a difference going from 285/35 rears to 235/50
Old 11-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Ilike350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for the black Z, knock on wood nothing will happen but if you get in an accident insurance will not cover the body kits i suggest you take them off.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by sry110
Your setup actually doesn't look too bad. Mind sharing wheel widths and offsets? Also I like the tire sizes you are using. From an aesthetic standpoint it fills out the front and rear wheel wells very nicely. More meat on the tires probably makes for better snow handling too.
Thanks for kind words and the "ugly diversion" that I am preoccupied with.

Answering your question: The wheels are 17x7.5”, offset is 30, and tires are 225/55-17” all square.

A 30 offset on a narrow wheel really tucks the wheel/tire inside the wheel well on a Z. Put the same setup on a Mazda RX-8 and it’s almost flush.

--Spike
Old 11-21-2008, 06:49 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Spike100
Very good point!… as you mention, it’s best to position your winter wheel/tire setup way inside the wheel-well. That prevents “sandblasting” the side of your car and its paint when driving on winter-maintained streets on which the DOT drops sand for better grip.

Here is my winter wheel/tire setup (more picture “whoring”). “It ain’t prudy,” but works just great

It’s all-square (Dunlop snow tires, 225/55-17” all around) allowing rotating the tires. The all-square setup works with my Performance model 350 z (which is VDC-equipped).

--Spike
==========================================
Looking good.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Thanks.

I respect your opinions and observations, so your mention is appreciated.

--Spike
Old 11-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Art Vandaleigh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Props to the guys running snows! This will be my 4th winter with the Z on OEM 17's and blizzaks. I would suggest you take that V1 lip off for winter though. I have the same lip and take it off for winter, otherwise i would probably destroy that thing with the low ground clearance (make shift snow plow) and ice chunks around here.