Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Winter Shoes Installed - SSR Comp-H + Blizzak LM22

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 04:23 PM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Winter Shoes Installed - SSR Comp-H + Blizzak LM22

I just put on my new winter wheels & tires since the weather is getting pretty cold here. I got a decent deal from TireRack on a set of SSR Comp-H wheels, 17" x 8.5" wide +33 offset all the way around. Probably not an 'ideal' size for this car but I'm not really concerned about looks as much as function for a set of winter wheels. Tires are Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22, 225/50/17 fronts and 235/50/17 rears. I kind of regret not getting equal tire sizes for front and rear so that I could rotate front to back, but oh well...what's done is done. Anyway here are some photos I snapped...I think they actually look decent.

PS - The SSR stickers will stay on....the CompH stickers may come off. I'm still deliberating...

Old 12-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

def. looks ready for winter.... or a rally.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:55 PM
ToddFather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well done, you can never be too prepared. I put a set of Pirelli W210's on my stock set of 17" wheels and went with the same 235's on rear and 225's up front. I wasn't too worried about rotating them.

I wanted to be ready for the snow and ice, and they came in handy last week when we got a bit and turned the hills into ice. I prefer to stay out of the ditches and now I can sleep a little better knowing I am already prepared.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:00 PM
sry110

Originally Posted by Motormouth
def. looks ready for winter.... or a rally.
Sorry, what I meant to do instead was buy a second car but accidentally I bought a set of winter tires

And yes, when the snow hits I do plan to drive around as though it's a rally

At any rate thanks for the feedback!
Old 12-07-2006, 04:25 AM
Art Vandaleigh

I ran those tires on stock 17" wheels last winter and they are worth every penny. Be ready to have plenty of fun in the snow now.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:40 AM
sry110

Originally Posted by Art Vandaleigh
I ran those tires on stock 17" wheels last winter and they are worth every penny. Be ready to have plenty of fun in the snow now.
How was the tread wear on your set? I've heard the major downfall of these tires is that you can't get much more than 15k miles out of them...but that might also be coming from people who always drive aggressively and spin their rear wheels, etc. Any thoughts?
Old 12-07-2006, 04:46 AM
savvy

i have had mine for a little over 10K and they are still very meaty. I don't notice much wear at all.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:17 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Betcha those are light as hell...and not bad looking for a 17.

Wonder why TireRack dropped the price...are they closing out the line? Would be a shame...
Old 12-07-2006, 06:42 AM
sry110

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
Betcha those are light as hell...and not bad looking for a 17.

Wonder why TireRack dropped the price...are they closing out the line? Would be a shame...
Yeah they are 17 lbs. each if I remember correctly, according to TireRack's site. Also I'm not sure if they are closing out the line...the size I got was on sale for about $180 apiece, but the other sizes still looked to be at normal price. Maybe they are doing away with this particular diameter/width/offset configuration.

I am actually considering buying a set in 18" with the anthracite finish / machined lip for summer wheels/tires, if I can get a low enough offset, and depending on the price.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:28 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank god I live in California.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:55 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Thank god I live in California.
What? And miss out on all the Winter fun?

Looks good, lose the comp stickers, keep the others. Would not worry too much about the miles - just take it very easy in the warm weather if you get any warm days, Blizzak LM22's have a rep for fast wear only if you try to extend the season too far into higher temps. I have 2 seasons on mine with about 8k per year, remainder of year on pilot sports. Wish I could have done 17's, better for snow than 18's, but when I got my Pirellis I could not find a wheel to clear the brakes...now of course 2 years later I can

BTW I keep a cheap plastic breakdown shovel in the back just for occasions like my last pic - plow went around my car, left me surrounded by snow - and if you look closely, yes, that is a BIGass bucket front-loader stacking the snow - LOL!

Old 12-09-2006, 08:08 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

This is not a bling mod or a performance mod. Its for safety. Very practical.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:11 AM
DJ SMITTY
Sponsor
CIN Motorsports

UGH! Thats intended to SteveZ's post.

The SSR comps are great wheels, I love the look of them. Good choice!
Old 12-09-2006, 10:51 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by DJ SMITTY
UGH! Thats intended to SteveZ's post.

The SSR comps are great wheels, I love the look of them. Good choice!
So do I - those are very nice wheels, I wish I could have gotten those at the time, lighter, better, and better looking. I had very limited choices with the brake clearance 2 years ago, the ASA's were one of the few wheels I could find in a package deal that I liked and were not too much $$$ (although the Pirellis are another story, slightly over $1000 for 4 tires). He got a GREAT deal IMHO.

Have no idea why the "UGH!" - did not mean to offend or anything...

Maybe UGH! for the plow burying my car, that was a drag - shoveling out packed snow in freezing rain, after working 10-12 hours, that was not cool
Old 11-18-2008, 01:05 PM
sry110

Quick thread revival. Since the fitment of my SSR Comp-H winter wheels is so sunken in on the rears I had considered using some hub-centric spacers with lugs to push the wheels farther out, purely for aesthetics. When I finally pulled out the wheels from the basement to put them on over the weekend I noticed that the wheels have no real allowance for the OEM studs (and nuts that come with the spacers). There are circular indentations in the back of the wheel on the 114.3 mm PCD but they are only about ~1/16" deep so it doesn't do much good.

So anyway, just in case someone, someday was going to purchase the same size wheels for a winter setup and wanted to used spacers for wider stance, the only way you could do that is to install longer studs in the OEM locations and use a hub-centric spacer using the longer studs to hold both the wheel and the spacer.

And before anyone brings it up, don't worry I wasn't planning to push the wheels so far out that there was tread sticking out beyond the fenders, to prevent the rear bumper from getting grit blasted.

And of course, picture ***** time...
Old 11-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Done Deal DR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think thats a great winter setup, both in function and aesthetics. Better safe than sorry.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:33 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sry110
Quick thread revival. Since the fitment of my SSR Comp-H winter wheels is so sunken in on the rears I had considered using some hub-centric spacers with lugs to push the wheels farther out, purely for aesthetics. When I finally pulled out the wheels from the basement to put them on over the weekend I noticed that the wheels have no real allowance for the OEM studs (and nuts that come with the spacers). There are circular indentations in the back of the wheel on the 114.3 mm PCD but they are only about ~1/16" deep so it doesn't do much good.

So anyway, just in case someone, someday was going to purchase the same size wheels for a winter setup and wanted to used spacers for wider stance, the only way you could do that is to install longer studs in the OEM locations and use a hub-centric spacer using the longer studs to hold both the wheel and the spacer.

And before anyone brings it up, don't worry I wasn't planning to push the wheels so far out that there was tread sticking out beyond the fenders, to prevent the rear bumper from getting grit blasted.

Cool but I want to see the car in six inches of snow.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

SSR's for Winter wheels? Nice! Just leave the stickers.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Very good point!… as you mention, it’s best to position your winter wheel/tire setup way inside the wheel-well. That prevents “sandblasting” the side of your car and its paint when driving on winter-maintained streets on which the DOT drops sand for better grip.

Here is my winter wheel/tire setup (more picture “whoring”). “It ain’t prudy,” but works just great

It’s all-square (Dunlop snow tires, 225/55-17” all around) allowing rotating the tires. The all-square setup works with my Performance model 350 z (which is VDC-equipped).

--Spike
==========================================

Originally Posted by sry110

Old 11-18-2008, 07:41 PM
SteveZ

I can see why my ASA's have such a deep lug hole now, it takes a very thin and long socket much like my NISMO Ray's to get to the lug nuts. No spacers used at all, the offset is a little less than OEM 18's. Once on, they're tucked n nicely. The lug nuts are shorter than stock and still have plenty of thread engaged, but a standard socket won't even fit in the lug hole, no way. Engaging minimal threads on a Nissan OEM lug stud is not something you want to do, they are notorious for breaking on Nissans for 20 years if you try to run them too short.

I can't strongly recommend the ASA's (JH3?) other than being cheap and reasonably strong, based on their excessive weight (26 lbs in 18") but they nailed the offset, they tuck in to avoid blasting the finish (other than up front, when wheels turn, about all you can do it get some sort of guard). At least they fit well, but knowing you could run a 17-18 lb 17" or 18"wheel, I'm likely to sell them this year.

It's a painted cast wheel with clear coat, cheap, and you can see they've taken some abuse, but for snows they're not bad other than the -10 whp feeling when you swap them.

I just wish they had the 17's that cleared the Brembos 3 years ago, that was my biggest constraint in using a 17" wheel. Running 18's is less effective and it sucks for the price of the tires, my rears are done after 3 Winters and are over $300 a pop for Pirellis. Fronts are holding up well, but I'm looking at another $700 for tires and mounting this Winter.

It's either that, or the car sits all Winter in CT, because with my Summer tires, even a thick dusting of snow, or any freezing rain, the car cannot get out of the parking lot. I once got my Z stuck in my driveway with the RE040's because the dew froze in the AM, plus those tires are a nightmare cold for traction even w/o snow or ice.

It's just hard because this year I've been running 21 lb 19" LMGT4's with 245/35/19F, 275/35/19R, it's very hard to give up that kind of traction and wheels lighter than the stock 18 G Coupe had in '04. If $$$ were no object, I'd get a set of the same wheels in 18's for Winter use, they just rock.

Quick Reply: Winter Shoes Installed - SSR Comp-H + Blizzak LM22