Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

BBK = Worthless Spare

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007 | 01:17 PM
jgray

Default BBK = Worthless Spare

For those of you who have upgraded your brakes - are you just throwing caution to the wind and not worrying about a spare that fits over your new calipers?

I'm curious about this because I'll be traveling out of the state with my Z (track days!) and I no longer have a spare that will fit my after market Brembos. I've searched for spares at local and national salvage shops without any luck. The dealer can order the wheel without the tire for $222, but that seems expensive to me, especially after I buy the tire and have it mounted and balanced.

Any thoughts about where I might find a spare that will fit over my Brembos in a time-of-need? How about other car makes and models that use the same size spare (no idea what that size is or if it's universal).

Joel
Old 05-08-2007 | 01:33 PM
The HACK

Originally Posted by jgray
For those of you who have upgraded your brakes - are you just throwing caution to the wind and not worrying about a spare that fits over your new calipers?

I'm curious about this because I'll be traveling out of the state with my Z (track days!) and I no longer have a spare that will fit my after market Brembos. I've searched for spares at local and national salvage shops without any luck. The dealer can order the wheel without the tire for $222, but that seems expensive to me, especially after I buy the tire and have it mounted and balanced.

Any thoughts about where I might find a spare that will fit over my Brembos in a time-of-need? How about other car makes and models that use the same size spare (no idea what that size is or if it's universal).

Joel
Spacer. Find a big fat one, like a 20mm spacer. If your BBK fits under OE rims then it's still possible to fit the spare.
Old 05-08-2007 | 01:38 PM
jgray

Good idea! I hadn't thought of that - thanks.

Joel
Old 05-08-2007 | 01:46 PM
Kolia

Put the spare on the rear axle of the car.

Use your imagination if you've blown a front tire...
Old 05-08-2007 | 01:47 PM
AroundMyHorn

im just gonna sell the car next time i get a flat
Old 05-08-2007 | 02:03 PM
gunslinger

Joel
A lot of cars (suprising how many) now come with the foam aerosal version of fix-a-flat and a compressor instead of a spare. You can get a compressor and f-a-f at pep boys or autozone for under $30 buck. It also save weight....

Also carry a leatherman and a tire plug kit.

Mike

Last edited by gunslinger; 05-08-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-08-2007 | 02:14 PM
doug

Originally Posted by Kolia
Put the spare on the rear axle of the car.

Use your imagination if you've blown a front tire...
with staggered rims?

thats going to look funny... right front side with 8" rims... rear with 9" rims... left side with 9" rims up front and donut on the back
Old 05-08-2007 | 02:19 PM
ecorona6

^Its not about looks, but to get you from your stranded point to your home or local shop. Looks dont matter when your stranded!
Old 05-08-2007 | 02:29 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired
Premier Member

bring your oem brakes with you everywhere you go

they only weigh like 70 lbs

in all seriousness, you have a good point.
Old 05-08-2007 | 02:42 PM
Ichigo

Get AAA and lose the spare.. It's too heavy!!
Old 05-08-2007 | 02:48 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by doug
with staggered rims?

thats going to look funny... right front side with 8" rims... rear with 9" rims... left side with 9" rims up front and donut on the back
The spare is a 145/80R17.

Do you have any thing that match that ?!?
Old 05-08-2007 | 05:15 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by gunslinger
A lot of cars (suprising how many) now come with the foam aerosal version of fix-a-flat and a compressor instead of a spare. You can get a compressor and f-a-f at pep boys or autozone for under $30 buck. It also save weight....

Also carry a leatherman and a tire plug kit.

Mike
It will kill the TPM if you inject it thru it. Not really a great idea
Old 05-08-2007 | 05:49 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2
Premier Member

Joel, since I put my stereo amp and CarPC setup where the spare used to be, I have driven without a spare, only roadside assistance through my insurance, and a can of fix a flat. This includes 2 years and a trip across the country with no problems so far.

When I have my previous Z32, I had a similiar setup, with no spare, and this was 5 years, and 4 cross country trips. Had to use the can of fix a flat once, and that was not a problem.

Dave
Old 05-08-2007 | 07:00 PM
gunslinger

Originally Posted by terrasmak
It will kill the TPM if you inject it thru it. Not really a great idea
I don't believe that's true. Or it could be f-a-f brand dependant? Mercedes, BMW, and Audi model's (to name a few) come with the compressor/f-a-f kit and claim it won't damage the tpm. I also haven't read of anyone having issues with the tpm being damaged on the slk site. Though it's often asked.... If you're worried, go to an MB dealer and buy their goo (or search and find out who makes it). If I recall, I think you can get the MB kit (compressor and goo) for about $55. It's been a while so don't quote me.

Plus, you should go for the tire plug first. This should cover most situations and is very easy to do. A tire plug tool kit is ~5 bucks at autozone. Get a decent pair of needle nose too.

If you shread a tire, you're sol, then I hope you have AAA.

Mike
Old 05-08-2007 | 09:40 PM
adrianko43

Do you still have your stock rims? I bring one stock wheel with me to the track since its a pretty long drive, it fits right where the donut used to go. Other times, i just take the risk of having to call a tow truck.

Edit: this is assuming you are running on aftermarket wheels.
Old 05-08-2007 | 09:52 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

get with four of your friends with BBK and split a set of OEM 03Track Z wheels/rims.

they clear the 355mm BBKs from Stoptech easy- and they're light too-
Old 05-08-2007 | 10:05 PM
flynbrin

i seriously have no idea what to do.

but what about just keepin some of that flat stopping gunk in the trunk?
Old 05-09-2007 | 05:19 AM
jgray

Originally Posted by adrianko43
Do you still have your stock rims? I bring one stock wheel with me to the track since its a pretty long drive, it fits right where the donut used to go. Other times, i just take the risk of having to call a tow truck.

Edit: this is assuming you are running on aftermarket wheels.
Yeah, I do have after market rims and my stockers are just sitting in the garage. But with the staggered wheels, how would that work? If I put a front stocker on the back, won't it pull the car in all sorts of different directions? I realize the spare isn't the same size either, but with such a small contact patch, I assume it's not a big deal.

I'll look into the spacer idea. I have plugs too - just need a compressor. As someone mentioned above, that should be sufficient unless I tear a side wall or have some other massive tire malfunction.

Joel
Old 05-09-2007 | 05:29 AM
Kolia

Yeah, I do have after market rims and my stockers are just sitting in the garage. But with the staggered wheels, how would that work? If I put a front stocker on the back, won't it pull the car in all sorts of different directions? I realize the spare isn't the same size either, but with such a small contact patch, I assume it's not a big deal.

I'll look into the spacer idea. I have plugs too - just need a compressor. As someone mentioned above, that should be sufficient unless I tear a side wall or have some other massive tire malfunction.

Joel
Dude you're over doing it!

The car won't care is its riding on 4 different wheel sizes. Drive slow like you're supposed to and you'll be fine...

Or waste time and money for a problem you already have a solution for...
Old 05-09-2007 | 05:38 AM
jgray

Well of course I would *****-foot the car back to a repair shop! I'm just listing all my options

Quick Reply: BBK = Worthless Spare