Old 09-22-2003, 01:17 PM
nychotcop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks stone Z.....I like those wheels.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:15 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by WashUJon
A lot of cheap wheels are gravity cast. This means they'll be porous and brittle. That leaves them susceptible to bending and cracking.

My personal opinion is to buy the more expensive forged wheel. Forged aluminum is usually made with a better alloy and the forging process alone can make the wheel 3 times stronger than a cast wheel. Forged aluminum is also lighter. It may be more expensive, but they're usually way less susceptible to damage and the weight saving is a big plus.

I feel that the bottom line should be that if you want to go aftermarket, save your money for a good set of forged rims made by a reputible manufacturer. That is, unless you want cheap winter rims in a big hurry. Better rims may end up costing you less money in the long run than fixing (not always possible to fix cast rims) or replacing wheels that are easily damaged. Its a gamble...
exactly why i don't recommend cheap wheels, they are poorly made, not durable, brittle
Old 09-22-2003, 07:08 PM
FLY BY Z

Default Re: Re: Re: Cheap wheels

Originally posted by AndyB
You bring up 2 points style, and durability.

For durability, I am not sure I have EVER seen a wheel fail outside of an accident (sliding in to something or whatever). Maybe wheels fail in racing, but I doubt I can drive my dail driver hard enough to cause a reputable wheel to fial.
Curbs and potholes baby, curbs and potholes. Also, weird stuff on the road that can ding up rims like pieces of metal, big tires that came off a 18-wheeler, stuff that fell of a pickup, construction areas, etc. There are a lot of dangers on the open road. I have a feeling that you are talking about turning a corner so fast that a wheel bends. I am not concerned with this either.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:35 PM
A_FIVE-O's_350Z

nychotcop,

Can you or do your work side jobs in NYC? Most extra jobs here in Houston pay about $25-$40 cash an hour. I think Houston is one of the few cities where you can work security in bars and clubs. Pays great and you get to meet hot chicks. Work a side job to afford some nice rims. Just my .2 cents
Old 09-22-2003, 09:51 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

rims are great cosmetic change for the Z.. it totally changes the appearance of the car, in most cases...

expensive rims, have a build quality you expect for the price.. hence i went with Volk, since i know their reputation for having great forged rims, but i also paid up the butt for em and waited 5 monthes... BBS and SSR are the same. fantastic build, expensive, look great..

however-- this doesnt mean you HAVE to get the 'expensive' rims cuz everyone else has it.. its just your tastes.. imho, Konig and TSW and Enkei have proved themselves in having great wheels at good prices attainable by alot.. although they are often heavier due to the casting processes of the manufacturing, they hold up good enough and look good... then why not? casting processed through the years have gotten better where you can actually cast rims now that weigh lighter and are stronger than before.. (ala 5Zigen FNR01-C)..

if you're just going for show, its really not a big deal to pay $300 more for 1 or 2 pounds lighter... i mean. you can get TE37s in 19" but then you get S03s which the tires are heavier than the rim, defeats the point--.. you can get the same performance if you get something like a Enkei RPM2 and Toyos and they end up the same weight...

i've had TSW on my previous car, they were good. just a bit heavier than most rims, but i liked the look.. held up great on bad roads, so eh. good deal. besides. they were cheap. i coulda gotten TWO sets of them for 1 set of volks that i have now.. but i thought "yea.. i know have the Z.. it deserves better..".

imho, if you really want a set of designer rims its gonna cost you (think Armani or Tommy) but if you like the style and can find it cheaper (GAP, Old Navy) then eh.. might as well.. personal taste!

if you wait a while longer. i guarantee you-- you will see designer knock offs of the GT-7, GT-C, coming up...

5Zigen are good too. and sometimes have great deals on the net-

try importhookup.com... they also have good deals on rims for those looking for 'cheaper' alternatives..
Old 09-23-2003, 05:14 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by TriX
ssr comp from what i see are only 18s and are 530/wheel. am i right?

since this has changed to a discussion on quality are the axis 7 mods good quality ?
I thinK Gruppe-S has them for $430 a wheel. They also seem to be called the Type C.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:32 AM
TriX

Originally posted by Daytona
I thinK Gruppe-S has them for $430 a wheel. They also seem to be called the Type C.
well since its seems people actually have the axis supermesh on their z's i will probably go with that wheel. It should cost about 2k for the entire deal. and they seem to have a decent reputation.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:35 AM
kbomb

great info guys. I think it all comes down to personal taste and if you can live with wheels that cost almost half or equal to a car
s downpayment, thats cool.

IMO, I think all wheels are pretty much replicas of each other in design. There is only so many ways to make a 5,6,mesh spoke wheel. Plus, quality is getting better all the time with regular riced wheels anyways.Don't get me wrong, VOLKS are sweeeet but other than GT7s, most look simple. But again, its in the name.

What if ADR, HP, Motegi, katanas, etc.. make forged rims? would everybody buy them? Most likely yes.

Quick question, how much do Volks GT7, TE37, and LE37 weigh?
Old 09-24-2003, 08:24 AM
WashUJon

Bottom line: you get what you pay for.

Volks are VERY light and VERY strong, generally. (some variability between models, of course)
Old 09-24-2003, 09:52 AM
TriX

Originally posted by WashUJon
Bottom line: you get what you pay for.

Volks are VERY light and VERY strong, generally. (some variability between models, of course)
lets put quality or weight aside for a moment. don't you think its going over board to get a volk te37 setup like 19x9 & 19x10.5 for daily driving? or some other really expensive wheels and setups? iforge, hre etc.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:00 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

of course not!

its like buying a toy and staring at it and keeping it in the box--

use it! have fun!

otherwise you might as well just keep the stock rims on the car and put the expensive rims on display...

lets put quality or weight aside for a moment. don't you think its going over board to get a volk te37 setup like 19x9 & 19x10.5 for daily driving? or some other really expensive wheels and setups? iforge, hre etc.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:07 PM
WashUJon

If I were going to go buy some wheels to replace the OEMs, I'd buy good quality wheels. Its that simple. Otherwise, I'd just keep the OEMs on. I don't have the money for expensive wheels now, so I'm keeping the OEMs on.

I don't think large wheels are overboard if the guy/gal likes 'em. I wouldn't go with 19s, since I'm into performance (various factors). I'd get 18s that are slightly wider than stock, in order to accomodate slightly wider tires. But that's just me...
Old 09-25-2003, 08:29 AM
kbomb

Does anyone have a pic of their Z with a rim other than VOLKS?
Old 09-25-2003, 11:36 AM
Stone Z

Originally posted by kbomb
Does anyone have a pic of their Z with a rim other than VOLKS?
https://my350z.com/gallery/Wheels-Tires
Old 09-25-2003, 05:58 PM
nychotcop

Originally posted by A_FIVE-O's_350Z
nychotcop,

Can you or do your work side jobs in NYC? Most extra jobs here in Houston pay about $25-$40 cash an hour. I think Houston is one of the few cities where you can work security in bars and clubs. Pays great and you get to meet hot chicks. Work a side job to afford some nice rims. Just my .2 cents

Hey Five O...I would rather use that extra cash to take out those hot chicks...they dont notice wheels anyway On a serious note...we can work side gigs here...but its not about the $...its about justifying the expense..cant do that right now.