Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

"Affordable" aftermarket wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 07:41 AM
nychotcop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Affordable" aftermarket wheels

Post your pics and or comments of some affordable wheels that will give our Z's a good "look"..which is what many of us want. Here are some of my picks for the best looking.

Last edited by nychotcop; 04-28-2003 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:49 AM
nychotcop

This is made by Katana..model VR-5..it comes in 19x8 and 19x8.5 they cost about $200.00 per rim and look very much( almost exactly) like the mighty Volk GT-C
Attached Thumbnails "Affordable" aftermarket  wheels-katana-vr-5-19x8.5.jpg  

Last edited by nychotcop; 04-28-2003 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:01 AM
nychotcop

I also like the TSW spindle...come in 19x8
Attached Thumbnails "Affordable" aftermarket  wheels-tswspindle.jpg  
Old 04-28-2003, 08:07 AM
nychotcop

These Axis hagens are nice also...19x8
Attached Thumbnails "Affordable" aftermarket  wheels-img_0624.jpg  
Old 04-28-2003, 08:25 AM
nychotcop

I also like these Enkei ZR2's..
Attached Thumbnails "Affordable" aftermarket  wheels-enki-zr2-3-.jpg  
Old 09-21-2003, 04:30 PM
kbomb

what do you guys consider affordable? ADR, Enkei, Katanas, Motegi Racing, etc,,,

Also, what do u think of these Katanas http://www.wheelmax.com/Wheels/Katana/katana.htm
Old 09-21-2003, 05:05 PM
TriX

Originally posted by kbomb
what do you guys consider affordable? ADR, Enkei, Katanas, Motegi Racing, etc,,,

Also, what do u think of these Katanas http://www.wheelmax.com/Wheels/Katana/katana.htm
I was just saying something about that in my post on axis wheels.

I personally think anything that is in the 350-400 per wheel range is affordable. Unfortunately there isn't much unless you add 200-300 more per wheel.

I personally would like to get away with 2500 wheel and tire package. I don't need the best of tires either. I am not going on the track this is mainly a look thing.

Anyways my list right now:

axis hagen
axis 7 mod (defeniately look like a great deal)
stilleto five 19's (don't know the spelling)

if anyone else has opinion lets hear it.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:44 PM
kbomb

Trix,

I think Axis is pretty reputable. They are on alot of sites and alot of people have them on. They are no overly expensive. Have you thought about Racing Hart. They are around that same price 2500 or alil bit more for a 2 piece wheel. The single piece are like 1489 for a tire/wheel pkg.

I am considering Racing Hart C4s but my commute is long with alot of construction so Im looking at Katanas, HP, and Motegi Racing. THey seem too be like a 1000-1200 a set which is more ideal for me. Does anybody has any suggestions on these wheels?
Old 09-21-2003, 07:14 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kbomb, you're probably tired of hearing me, but I must input.

The wheels you just mentioned (Katanas, HP, and Motegi Racing) are cheap wheels.

What I'm trying to say is the Z deserves better.

Katanas, HP, and Motegi Racing are what kids like my age put on their Hondas and Acuras.

Another thing, wheelmax has a bad reputation.

Just 2 YEN from me.

Victor
Old 09-22-2003, 04:38 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cheap wheels

Originally posted by Mike Wazowski

The wheels you just mentioned (Katanas, HP, and Motegi Racing) are cheap wheels. What I'm trying to say is the Z deserves better.

Victor
Victor, can you explain what makes cheap wheels not as good? Is it the weight? The true-ness? What?
Old 09-22-2003, 04:57 AM
jleighZ

Well not everybody can afford the more expensive rims, at least I can't. I have a set of Katana C-10's that I took off my Eclipse that I will be putting on the Z. They have held up great, and they look nice too.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:13 AM
FLY BY Z

Default Re: Cheap wheels

Originally posted by AndyB
Victor, can you explain what makes cheap wheels not as good? Is it the weight? The true-ness? What?
Probably just the way they were built which leads me to believe the difference is durability. And style. Porches look better than Hyundais, usually. I think Volks look better than Motegis or something. However, I am putting on rims that are about 265 each.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:46 AM
TriX

Originally posted by Mike Wazowski

The wheels you just mentioned (Katanas, HP, and Motegi Racing) are cheap wheels.

What I'm trying to say is the Z deserves better.

Katanas, HP, and Motegi Racing are what kids like my age put on their Hondas and Acuras.

Another thing, wheelmax has a bad reputation.

Just 2 YEN from me.

Victor
ok mike here is what i think. first i want to say i agree with you to some extent. however 30k sports car is just that. this isn't a 911 turbo that needs HREs IMO.

2 and this is a big one. i could go out there right now and buy most expensive volks. but they would be stolen in 2 days. My car stands outside all day & night. and i drive to work every day. there is alot of crappy roads in FL.

i want to spend about 2500 for a wheel and tire package and it seems there isn't that much out there unless i don't know how to search. seems like there is no middle ground with wheels or very little. either cheaper wheels or the more expensive stuff and only a couple of wheels in between.

just wheels: (19s)
ssr gt3 3500.00 tire rack (wheels only)
OZ superlagga III 3000.00 tire rack (wheels only)

volk sf winnings 2400 import-i forget exactly.com (wheels only)
nismo lm gt4 2000 (wheels only)

those are just 4 that will cost between 3000-4500 for package.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:46 AM
TriX

Originally posted by kbomb
Trix,

I think Axis is pretty reputable. They are on alot of sites and alot of people have them on. They are no overly expensive. Have you thought about Racing Hart. They are around that same price 2500 or alil bit more for a 2 piece wheel. The single piece are like 1489 for a tire/wheel pkg.

I am considering Racing Hart C4s but my commute is long with alot of construction so Im looking at Katanas, HP, and Motegi Racing. THey seem too be like a 1000-1200 a set which is more ideal for me. Does anybody has any suggestions on these wheels?
i pmed you.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:05 AM
WashUJon

A lot of cheap wheels are gravity cast. This means they'll be porous and brittle. That leaves them susceptible to bending and cracking.

My personal opinion is to buy the more expensive forged wheel. Forged aluminum is usually made with a better alloy and the forging process alone can make the wheel 3 times stronger than a cast wheel. Forged aluminum is also lighter. It may be more expensive, but they're usually way less susceptible to damage and the weight saving is a big plus.

I feel that the bottom line should be that if you want to go aftermarket, save your money for a good set of forged rims made by a reputible manufacturer. That is, unless you want cheap winter rims in a big hurry. Better rims may end up costing you less money in the long run than fixing (not always possible to fix cast rims) or replacing wheels that are easily damaged. Its a gamble...

Last edited by WashUJon; 09-22-2003 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:34 AM
AndyB

Default FOrged

Ok, I definetely know the deal with forgred = better

(since it is tronger it can be thinner/lighter)

SO..... How much are "inexpensive" forged wheels.

I guess I mean, how much do you have to pay to step up in to forged wheels?

Anyone got any examples?
Old 09-22-2003, 11:37 AM
AndyB

Default Re: Re: Cheap wheels

Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head
Probably just the way they were built which leads me to believe the difference is durability. And style. Porches look better than Hyundais, usually. I think Volks look better than Motegis or something. However, I am putting on rims that are about 265 each.
You bring up 2 points style, and durability.

For durability, I am not sure I have EVER seen a wheel fail outside of an accident (sliding in to something or whatever). Maybe wheels fail in racing, but I doubt I can drive my dail driver hard enough to cause a reputable wheel to fial.

For style, that is in the eye of the beholder. I have seen some $1000 (EACH) wheels that BUTT UGLY and I have seen some $250 wheels that I really like.

That said.... I do value LIGHT wheels and I suppose paying for forged wheels lets you get lighter wheels.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:50 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a good wheel for a decent price, I think your best bet to try and find a used set of something similar to what you are looking for. If you have to go new, I would look at TireRack or Discount Tire Direct to find a good wheel for a decent price. I, for one, think the SSR Comp wheel is the best buy I've ever seen.

As for construction, forged is usually preferable, but you'd be surprised at how many manufacturers (Advan, for one) charge $500-600 for a cast rim. For a one-piece forged rim, you're probably looking at ~$350-400/wheel, depending on size. My TE37s were close to $600 but they were about as big and wide as you get.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:16 PM
TriX

Originally posted by Daytona
If you want a good wheel for a decent price, I think your best bet to try and find a used set of something similar to what you are looking for. If you have to go new, I would look at TireRack or Discount Tire Direct to find a good wheel for a decent price. I, for one, think the SSR Comp wheel is the best buy I've ever seen.

As for construction, forged is usually preferable, but you'd be surprised at how many manufacturers (Advan, for one) charge $500-600 for a cast rim. For a one-piece forged rim, you're probably looking at ~$350-400/wheel, depending on size. My TE37s were close to $600 but they were about as big and wide as you get.
ssr comp from what i see are only 18s and are 530/wheel. am i right?

since this has changed to a discussion on quality are the axis 7 mods good quality ?
Old 09-22-2003, 12:43 PM
Stone Z

nychotcop......check out this thread

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=40974

Quick Reply: "Affordable" aftermarket wheels