Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Toyo T1R's and winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 12:02 AM
z_roadster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyo T1R's and winter

I need helping making a decision with my tires in winter. Right now I have my stock 18" wheels with the stock tires on my '05 roadster, but the tread is quite worn out. I would buy winter tires, but I would only use them for a total of about 5 more months. I have Volk GTS' that I will put back on from March - November and then throw on my stocks again from December - March '09 when my lease is over. I could probably just barely manage to use the stocks for the end of this winter and for next, but I'm thinking of just putting my Volks on now since the tread on my Toyo T1R's is mint, however, how well do you guys think they will manage for the rest the winter? Oh and just so you guys know I live in British Columbia, Canada, but I never drive my car if it snows. So what do you guys suggest?? I just can't really justify buying new tires that will be used for 5 months...
Old 01-16-2008, 01:20 AM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Honestly i would go with a good all season tire.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:34 AM
dhwang80

<----Goodyear Eagle F1 All seasons.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:08 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by z_roadster
I never drive my car if it snows.
Then I guess there is no need for snow tires I think.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:26 AM
KantoutbreakdiZ

I drive my car in the winter with the T1r's but never when the snow comes out. The last time I tried I got stuck on a lilttle slope on my way home from work.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Bumble_Zee
FREEDOM FIGHTER

buy snow chains i don't mean to sound like a jerk but that's just my .02
Old 01-16-2008, 08:36 AM
SargentZ

You will be fine as long as you don't drive in the snow. The stock bridgestones are summer tires and I don't have any issues in very cold 'dry' weather. Sure they don't grip as good as when the temp is over 50 but certainly not 'dangerous' as they are in the snow, or rain for that matter. I like you, leave my car in the garage if it rains or snows.

Sarg
Old 01-16-2008, 08:49 AM
lucky350

heres some food for thought

snow tires are not cheap for our cars ( i just put on some mich pilot alpines$$, they are friggen awesome, and i live in edmonton ab)

but they are way less expensive then hitting a pole/curb/pedestrian/car/ditch ...etc. and if your lease is up there will always be people with g-coupes and 350z that will be looking for snow tires, and they are a common size for some mustang gt's and i think some bmw's so you could roll safe and sound and then just sell them privately when you get rid of the Z.

i was considering limping the car around on the summer tires but when i sold my pathfinder (good for the nasty days) i didnt want to risk crashing my Z.

T1R's are death in the cold/snow

keep the shiny side up!!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:47 AM
z_roadster

thanks for the replies, I think I'll probably just leave my stock wheels and tires on for now. I should be fine for 5 more months, I'll just drive more cautiously and definitely not in the snow
Old 01-16-2008, 10:09 AM
ZKansasZ

falken 912 ftw(for the money I have. You guys can buy more expensive ones if you have some more cash!)
Old 01-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Bumble_Zee
FREEDOM FIGHTER

thanks for the replies, I think I'll probably just leave my stock wheels and tires on for now. I should be fine for 5 more months, I'll just drive more cautiously and definitely not in the snow
yeah man, driving in the snow sucks... i was in edmonton these dec and i had my very first accident after driving for 13years (rental car doesn't have abs) anyway keep em in the garage bro, it's not worth it.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:53 AM
MaRbLe

Toyo's in the winter = stuck.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:21 AM
VisionaryRacing
Banned

Well T1R's specifically are high performance tires. I would not recommend them in the winter months even if you don't drive in the snow. They take a bit to warm up and start to grip.

I would go for some Winter tires or all seasons.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:34 AM
Justin07Z

I didn't even read your post, T1R's in winter?! :rofl Buy snow tires. I run Dunlop Winter Sport M3's.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:41 PM
z_roadster

Originally Posted by Justin07Z
I didn't even read your post, T1R's in winter?! :rofl Buy snow tires. I run Dunlop Winter Sport M3's.
I know I should buy winter tires but the problem is justifying buying tires that will be used for 5 months
Old 01-17-2008, 10:44 PM
redlude97

I know I should buy winter tires but the problem is justifying buying tires that will be used for 5 months
You can sell them after 5 months and make back a large portion of your investment. It'll cost you more if you end up crashing the car.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:05 AM
Accordaleer

I decided to buy my car as a DD even though I live in state that sees snow every year. Its jan 17 and we just saw snow that stuck finally. It was sticking to the ground for once and I had about 1 inch maybe a little more on my car. I had to go out and get my prescription. I figured if it was really bad I would take my mothers jeep. My driveway had a good inch on it. I starting going down the driveway no problems. The street was just as bad, no slip light. Got onto the main road going about 45, took the curves slower and gentle. Went around town and it was fine. Didnt slip once and seemed like it was just raining out once I got onto the really busy roads. Guarentee my stepfather was waiting to hear a call from me saying I crashed it, but I was determined to make it back fine which I did. First time driving RWD in snow, I did fine.

Running stock RE050 in the front
Falken 452 in the rear ... upgrading front in the future.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:33 AM
Art Vandaleigh

Well when you look at it, thats almost half the year anyway, its not like you would just be using them for 2 months. Get a cheap set of 17" OEM wheels and dedicated snows, and you will get many, many seasons out of them, plus peace of mind that you wont have any issues if you drive in snow or get caught in a bad storm.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I need helping making a decision with my tires in winter. Right now I have my stock 18" wheels with the stock tires on my '05 roadster, but the tread is quite worn out. I would buy winter tires, but I would only use them for a total of about 5 more months. I have Volk GTS' that I will put back on from March - November and then throw on my stocks again from December - March '09 when my lease is over. I could probably just barely manage to use the stocks for the end of this winter and for next, but I'm thinking of just putting my Volks on now since the tread on my Toyo T1R's is mint, however, how well do you guys think they will manage for the rest the winter? Oh and just so you guys know I live in British Columbia, Canada, but I never drive my car if it snows. So what do you guys suggest?? I just can't really justify buying new tires that will be used for 5 months...
I suspect people reading your message may not realize that the winter months in British Columbia are quite temperate (and certainly not anything like Edmonton).

It is certainly a “push” running summer-performance tires year-around in your area, but with prudent use of the car (avoiding the snow days and cold days), you may be able to get away with this. I believe that is the reason why you are considering this.

What you need to consider: If in fact this car is your daily-driver, can you leave it garaged when the weather isn’t optimum? In other words, will you cheat and drive it when you shouldn’t? If you're thinking you will "cheat," then you need at least all-season tires (that will work well in your climate).

--Spike

BTW: The Central and Eastern USA States are now under an assault from an “Alberta Clipper.” Thanks a lot for that. Just kidding, of course.