Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

fender rolling problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:25 PM
joe645733

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fender rolling problems?

hey guys, im getting my fenders rolled this week from my work (bmw).
when i told him what car i had, (hes so anti every other car besides bmw's). but he was laughing saying my paint will definatley chip. hes like every jap car ive done or subaru's, the paint has chipped.

but the thing is, ppl from all over the state go to this guy. has any one ever had any problems with paint chipping? ive never really ran into ppl complaining about it on the forum.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by joe645733
hey guys, im getting my fenders rolled this week from my work (bmw).
when i told him what car i had, (hes so anti every other car besides bmw's). but he was laughing saying my paint will definatley chip. hes like every jap car ive done or subaru's, the paint has chipped.

but the thing is, ppl from all over the state go to this guy. has any one ever had any problems with paint chipping? ive never really ran into ppl complaining about it on the forum.
even if you don't see the paint chip, your paint has been compromised. Unless you repaint the panel, you will have issues sometime down the road... that length of time will vary and you may never have an issue during the period you own the car. You don't hear much about it on the forums because I would say people know what they are getting into when they venture in for a fender roll. Not only do you compromise the paint, but if you ever get into a light fender bender, or just want to replace the rear quarter, you have now doubled the work required to replace it. You have to replace the inner wheel house as well.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, but be aware of the affects. Any reputable shop will not roll and gaurantee their work without you paying to repaint the panel at the time of the roll.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:37 AM
Willie

Does warming the paint with a heat gun help?
Old 02-20-2008, 12:53 AM
Nevaland90

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this your 1st car?

use a heat gun and make sure its about 125-150 degrees or hot to the touch and just take your time, nothing will go wrong with your paint if you dont rush it.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:38 AM
misterniceguy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rolled my rear fenders with an old billy club. The paint didn't chip off. Like someone said earlier, the paint may be damaged from it, but it didn't come off. I did heat the fender lip a bit with a heat gun prior to the rolling. I would just be prepared to have it fixed if it does flake off, but I didn't have to.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:18 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Nevaland90
Is this your 1st car?

use a heat gun and make sure its about 125-150 degrees or hot to the touch and just take your time, nothing will go wrong with your paint if you dont rush it.
even if you heat and don't physically see the paint chip, the paint bond has been compromised by the stretching of the metal. Like I said, if a shop is doing it, the only way they can garauntee their work is to paint the panel.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:22 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive rolled many Z/G's and never chipped or cracked the paint. Years later you cant even see spider web cracks in paint under there. A job well done and not rolling to a crazy angle will be the way to go. Sounds like he is setting you up for a $hitty job, dont go to that guy.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Integrity
Banned

Hey joe645733, your PM box is full. Please contact me right away, thanks.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
even if you don't see the paint chip, your paint has been compromised. Unless you repaint the panel, you will have issues sometime down the road... that length of time will vary and you may never have an issue during the period you own the car. You don't hear much about it on the forums because I would say people know what they are getting into when they venture in for a fender roll. Not only do you compromise the paint, but if you ever get into a light fender bender, or just want to replace the rear quarter, you have now doubled the work required to replace it. You have to replace the inner wheel house as well.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, but be aware of the affects. Any reputable shop will not roll and gaurantee their work without you paying to repaint the panel at the time of the roll.
Well stated and you are 100% correct. Your points are not arguable since any reputable body shop that rolls fenders will tell the customer exactly what you say in your message.

Good post.

--Spike
Old 02-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Sco2355

I just had my fenders rolled last weekend. My paint didn't chip but the clear coat and and some paint on the very edge (the edge the roller hits) started to peal off. We used a heat gun and the roller arm. Came out fine but I knew what I was getting into so even if it did chip I couldn't complain.