Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Baller Status Lug Nut Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some lugnut info: https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/344661-rays-vs-muteki-lugnuts-pics-and-weights.html
Old 04-24-2008, 07:40 PM
PhiSig
Wheel Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I'd disagree - Gorilla lugs are not painted, they are also steel chrome plated and heat treated

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/small.di...lugs.and.locks

I use the Gorilla's on my own car since a local distributor stocks thousands of them and they are cheap - mine are black, and have been on and off my car probably 100 times. They have never once chipped, nor scuffed my wheel, and I've used both a torque wrench and impact gun on them. I've also had McGards - they worked well too, I just don't like how the whole lug isn't colored (personal preference)

As far as weight, it's a moot point as far as I am concerned; I am practical - I don't give a rats behind what my lug nuts weigh A couple of ounces ain't going to win the race for me, nor get me to to work any quicker
Yeah my gorillas have been bulletproof -- what do you mean the whole lug isn't colored????
Old 04-24-2008, 07:46 PM
PhiSig
Wheel Whore

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Good info, I posted in that thread.

I am also discovering that just because the rays are really expensive and really pretty, doesn't make them better for a daily driven street car.

I might just order up a set of black gorilla's or muteki's and call it a day. Anyone wanna swap for my chrome lugs?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I'd disagree - Gorilla lugs are not painted, they are also steel chrome plated and heat treated

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/small.di...lugs.and.locks

I use the Gorilla's on my own car since a local distributor stocks thousands of them and they are cheap - mine are black, and have been on and off my car probably 100 times. They have never once chipped, nor scuffed my wheel, and I've used both a torque wrench and impact gun on them. I've also had McGards - they worked well too, I just don't like how the whole lug isn't colored (personal preference)

As far as weight, it's a moot point as far as I am concerned; I am practical - I don't give a rats behind what my lug nuts weigh A couple of ounces ain't going to win the race for me, nor get me to to work any quicker
+1.

I have Gorillas as well (blue). They look and work great. Unless your really into rainbow colored lugs and spending lots of money and the bragging rights that you paid 200 bucks for lugs that weight a few ounce's less.

Only bummer part is that the tool should have been about 1/2" longer because my front lugs are burried deep in the wheel.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:24 AM
stanleylee

excuse meee~~~
i got a noob question!
i just bough a set of nismo 19" rim
and i am looking for some wheel lock for it ( park at downtown every day )
do any of those lugnut come with wheel lock ? or they dont need one since they have to be remove them with special tools (ex. a key )?
Old 04-27-2008, 01:33 PM
PhiSig
Wheel Whore

I guess all of them mentioned have a locking element of sorts. The Rays have a special key for a special lug on each wheel. This is A-typical of most lug nuts I would say.

The spline drive style like Muteki and gorilla have an adaptor that is to be used with ALL the lugnuts. Anotherwords, you can't remove any of them with a simple wrench. However it would be much easier to get a drive tool to unlock them vs. the rays which have a number of differnt keys.

The long and short is, if someone has enough time, and the right tools they will get your wheels off.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:23 PM
stanleylee

ok, so then most of those aftermarket lug nuts needed the special "key" that come with the nuts to unlock it from the wheel , correct ?
and which mean, i dont have to get an extra wheel lock to replace once of those aftermarket lug nuts for protection?
Old 04-27-2008, 04:43 PM
tware

I feel the Rays has one of the best locks, in theory. They are flat and the lug-out removers would have a difficult time, whereas lug-out tools have little problem with rounded acorns and splines. But, having Rays and I've felt how light they are, I understand now the comments about them being susceptible to being split off the stud. I've not seen it first hand, but I'm sure a chisel would make quick work of the lock lug.

So, yeah.. with enough time, they are going to get them... or damage them beyond repair.. either way =
Old 04-27-2008, 07:26 PM
PhiSig
Wheel Whore

Yes, the rays are really soft. I just don't like a bunch of extra sockets and wrenchs flying around in my trunk solely for the purpose of my lugnuts. Keep the spline drive key in the center console and call it a day.

In the end its up to you, set a budget and figure out what would work best for you. You don't need to spend $100+ to get a decent set, thats for sure.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:31 PM
saberphx

I love my sexy rays extended lug nuts.