Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

New Rims, no TPMS - How you guys doing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 03:11 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Especially in the case of a blowout - TPMS isn't going to buy you anything. Believe me, you'll know it when you have a blowout. While riding on an underpressurized tire is a major factor of tire failures, it's pretty rare and you have to be doing it for a long period of time. It's not like driving one day with low pressure is going to cause a problem, unless you're driving at 100+ MPH for a long time.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:25 AM
raulzito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2007 came with 18"
Old 08-11-2008, 08:22 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I just deal with the TPMS alert light being constantly lit on the gauge cluster. After a few weeks of it being there I got used to it and now I don't notice it (or at least it doesn't bother me). Just like the old days (i.e. before I bought my Z in 2006), I manually check my tire pressure every two weeks or so, if I remember to. Even when I had the OEM wheels with TPMS, I would check it manually once in a while to make sure that the TPMS was calibrated and operating properly. Same thing with gas mileage, I calculate it by hand. It's not that the car's computer is inaccurate, it's just that I like to be able to compare my numbers with its numbers just as a double-check.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:32 AM
MRfire

Originally Posted by sry110
I just deal with the TPMS alert light being constantly lit on the gauge cluster. After a few weeks of it being there I got used to it and now I don't notice it (or at least it doesn't bother me). Just like the old days (i.e. before I bought my Z in 2006), I manually check my tire pressure every two weeks or so, if I remember to. Even when I had the OEM wheels with TPMS, I would check it manually once in a while to make sure that the TPMS was calibrated and operating properly. Same thing with gas mileage, I calculate it by hand. It's not that the car's computer is inaccurate, it's just that I like to be able to compare my numbers with its numbers just as a double-check.
My TPMS light NEVER comes on unless I drive more then 30 miles or so...
Old 08-11-2008, 11:41 AM
300zx1985

I sometimes lay awake at night wishing my base Z had TMPS
Old 08-18-2008, 02:43 PM
triplezs

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Especially in the case of a blowout - TPMS isn't going to buy you anything. Believe me, you'll know it when you have a blowout. While riding on an underpressurized tire is a major factor of tire failures, it's pretty rare and you have to be doing it for a long period of time. It's not like driving one day with low pressure is going to cause a problem, unless you're driving at 100+ MPH for a long time.
My TPMS helped me stop faster so that I didn't damage my rims. The warning light didn't do anything though. It doesn't light until able 5psi below stock pressure.

After I punctured the tire, I flipped my multi display over to the tire pressure and sure enough pressure was dropping like a rock. Rolled to the closest gas station and stopped before I damaged the rims. (I was doing about 110 mph when tire got punctured). Didn't even need to replace the tire as the gas station had the plug kit. I'm sure I would've shredded the tire if I waited another 30 sec before slowing down if I was just wondering what happened a little longer.