Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

wheel newb - questions, and budget friendly black wheel choice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default wheel newb - questions, and budget friendly black wheel choice?

One of the first changes I'd like to make to my Z - black wheels. I'd like to keep them 17-18", and be budget friendly.

Before I go in to that, if someone could take the time to educate me about wheels/tires, that'd be great. I see that even the stock tires are a bit wider in the rear - could someone explain how this helps? Would I be completely stupid to use the same tires on my current rims assuming they are decent, have good tread, and fit the new wheels? I could change them out later, but I am trying to do this bit by bit, and wheels get expensive pretty fast.

I've seen some wheels that I've liked @ discounttire.com, just using their site since they have one of those car emulators so you can see it on your ride. I've found some konig and enkei's that were affordable, about 120$ a wheel. what is a good budget friendly wheel, black, that looks good on a Z? I am totally open to suggestions here.

appreciate any knowledge you could lend. thanks!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Put the flame suit on....

search the wheel and tire thread and see what looks good then search vendors.. also check out the classfied section.. there are a ton of pix of Z's with every wheel and tire combo available to the Z on this site..
Old 09-03-2008, 11:43 AM
halcyon901

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, the sizes might be the same in the rear, just different tire width. for example, an 03 touring wears 225/45 fronts and 245/45 rears, but the rim width is still 8 inches. check the faqs (top 100 questions) and it will list what size wheel and tires come for each trim level.

you can use the stock tires, but i would think you are going to get larger wheels, so they might not fit. you can use the tire calculator to make sure you get the right size rims and tires, cause if you misjudge it, you may have problems with traction/VDC.

as for aftermarket rims, it depends on what kind of look you';re going for. some like deep dish (big lips), some like chrome. check the classifieds section here, you'll find some great deals. i picked up my wheels with tires on the cheap, and IMO, they look pretty good for the price i got.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Highway Riding

Originally Posted by halcyon901
well, the sizes might be the same in the rear, just different tire width. for example, an 03 touring wears 225/45 fronts and 245/45 rears, but the rim width is still 8 inches. check the faqs (top 100 questions) and it will list what size wheel and tires come for each trim level.

you can use the stock tires, but i would think you are going to get larger wheels, so they might not fit. you can use the tire calculator to make sure you get the right size rims and tires, cause if you misjudge it, you may have problems with traction/VDC.

as for aftermarket rims, it depends on what kind of look you';re going for. some like deep dish (big lips), some like chrome. check the classifieds section here, you'll find some great deals. i picked up my wheels with tires on the cheap, and IMO, they look pretty good for the price i got.
even my base 17" are staggered... 17" x 7.5" F - 17" x 8" R
Old 09-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

rota to the rescue!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Entaille

I'm not afraid of anyone flaming me, everyone's been pretty helpful so far. I'd rather come off as a newb then a know it all, and leave the situation knowing more then when I started.

The reason I ask here rather then go further in my research is, I can pick something that looks good and is budget friendly - no problem, I just want to make sure I am not going to make a bad decision regarding the tires, sizing.. as I really don't have a full grasp of how it effects things.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Highway Riding

Originally Posted by Entaille
I'm not afraid of anyone flaming me, everyone's been pretty helpful so far. I'd rather come off as a newb then a know it all, and leave the situation knowing more then when I started.

The reason I ask here rather then go further in my research is, I can pick something that looks good and is budget friendly - no problem, I just want to make sure I am not going to make a bad decision regarding the tires, sizing.. as I really don't have a full grasp of how it effects things.
As was explained to me (still have stock wheels) it's best to see what already is in use so u don't have to be the test dummy and waste good $$.. Look to see what people have and see if you like then proceed. Most suggestions you'll get with the exception of one vendor will be overpriced IMO so it's better to load up with as much knowledge possible before you get Idea's

I searched this thread for days.... still have stock wheels lol
https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-tire...ead-index.html
Old 09-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Gatorade

Look into Rotas, they have a new line of wheels ocming out that could possibly interest you!
Old 09-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Entaille

here's what I've liked the most so far.. I would be transferring the stock tires over for now

konig: feather, 122$ per wheel (price is @ discount tire, their site is ungodly slow at the moment) http://www.wheelsnext.com/wheels-rim...k%20gloss.html

I've been suggested Rota's by many others as well but the cheapest I see a set of them is about 650
Old 09-03-2008, 12:22 PM
yeZir

Originally Posted by Nexx
rota to the rescue!
+1 rota has very "budget friendly" setups that look incredible. Checkout wheeldude.com. They have a few threads in the wheel/tire section and vendor classifieds. They also have pics of different types/sizes/offsets for the Z.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:42 PM
DanielW
Banned

walmart dawg. 15 inch spinnaz
Old 09-03-2008, 01:12 PM
raf84ny

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not get Konig, just save up some more $$$ ! In your link, the largest Konig they show is 17 x 7. I think stock wheels are wider.

EDIT: They only offer them in 4 holes bolt pattern

Last edited by raf84ny; 09-03-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Entaille

Ahh you are right, I was just going off of looks, they dont have the width required. Wheeldude sent me a pm with some pics, I will talk with em and see if we can find something suitable
Old 09-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You will need at LEAST 17" wheels, but 18+ looks a lot better.

You also need the correct offset. Sometimes wheels from Konig and other cheaper wheel companies won't have the proper offsets, so that's something to pay attention to when looking at the wheels.

Also, the width. Do you plan on reusing your current tires? If so, you need the same width as the stock wheels you have.

If not, get at least 8 up front and 8.5 in rear.

Wheels are an expensive mod, and not one that should just be done quickly with cheaper wheels and tires. If you don't have enough funds, save your money and wait a while. It'll pay off in the end.

If you jump into this with cheap wheels, etc... You can end up with ugly wheels, ill fitting wheels with a wrong offset that leaves them sunken in, or wheels that won't clear your brakes.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:32 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome. The entire forum is about wheels and tires. Read and learn. The possibilities are endless. Members post photos with specs. Find one that you like, and duplicate it.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:40 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Entaille
here's what I've liked the most so far.. I would be transferring the stock tires over for now

konig: feather, 122$ per wheel (price is @ discount tire, their site is ungodly slow at the moment) http://www.wheelsnext.com/wheels-rim...k%20gloss.html

I've been suggested Rota's by many others as well but the cheapest I see a set of them is about 650
I believe that your OEM wheels are:

350Z Wheels
Standard 17":
Alum Alloy
F-17x7.5
23.259lbs
R-17x8
24.140lbs
Old 09-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

You're local. Check out the NW forum on here, and come to a meet. There's a BBQ coming up in 2 weeks. You can check out some nice setups up close and talk to other members in person. If you get junk like Rotas or Konigs, that'll make things....interesting...
Old 09-05-2008, 11:52 AM
halcyon901

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
even my base 17" are staggered... 17" x 7.5" F - 17" x 8" R
in referencing my previous post, what point were you trying to make?