Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:48 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper400
i agree with you on this. but where im coming from with the PSI of ground force is that it will take MORE speed if you have more PSI to hydroplain with the same width tires (considering both are all seasonal tires in good shape which both my cars have)
Well both should have similer PSI in the tires, if both vehicles have 35 PSI in them then both will hydroplane at the same time. If you run 35PSI in the G and 45 PSI in the H2 , the H2 will hydroplane at the higher speed. 32 to 35 PSI is a typical tire pressure.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:59 PM
sleeper400

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol this is where we are buttin heads! im talking about the pounds per square inch of CONTACT force the tire has to the ground... not the PSI of air pressure in the tire! haha i remember back in my physics class for my final independant project, i explained this theory. With a skinnier tire, there is more force to the ground in a certain spot which helps in aiding the tire the splice through the water. With a wider tire on the same car, the contact pressure to the ground is spread out to a more broad area which aids in less Pounds Per Square Inch of tire contact force to the ground which is why is acts like a padle in water, causing it to hydroplane. this is why i used the hummer as a broad example. it has 275 wide tires on just like my g does... but clearly it has more weight so it will aid in more pounds per square inch of contanct force of the tires onto the ground than the G would. catch my drift? lol PSI can be used to measure more than just air pressure lol

Last edited by sleeper400; 02-18-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:42 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper400
lol this is where we are buttin heads! im talking about the pounds per square inch of CONTACT force the tire has to the ground... not the PSI of air pressure in the tire! haha i remember back in my physics class for my final independant project, i explained this theory. With a skinnier tire, there is more force to the ground in a certain spot which helps in aiding the tire the splice through the water. With a wider tire on the same car, the contact pressure to the ground is spread out to a more broad area which aids in less Pounds Per Square Inch of tire contact force to the ground which is why is acts like a padle in water, causing it to hydroplane. this is why i used the hummer as a broad example. it has 275 wide tires on just like my g does... but clearly it has more weight so it will aid in more pounds per square inch of contanct force of the tires onto the ground than the G would. catch my drift? lol PSI can be used to measure more than just air pressure lol
This is correct.

Assuming all else is equal. As tire section width increases the speed at which hydroplaning occurs on a particular given vehicle decreases.

TK
Old 02-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Good and accurate point.

In fact you can take this argument to its most ridiculous level by comparing tires (width, thread, etc.) with car weight to those snowmobile contests where they run the sleds off an ice shelf over open water (shallow water of course) to test how far the machine will go on the water (via hydroplaning).

The single track is very wide (much wider than the tires on your car) and the sled is light. This combination allows the machine to hydroplane on a water surface for a great distance until it finally breaks the meniscus and ultimately sinks (in this case into very shallow water… “No drivers were injured or abused filming this contest” ).

--Spike