Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Wheel Re-Polished

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 01:23 PM
BabyZiLLa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Re-Polished

So i just had the lip on one of my GT-S re-polished. Annodizing has been stripped and just bare Aluminium is left.

These guys have done another wheel for me previously but I'm dissapointed in this one. If you look at it in the light it looks slightly hazed from fine scratches. They tell me this is normal but I think not.

I should be able to achieve a pretty perfect mirror finish polish should I not. Anyone that knows Aluminium care to chime in?

Cheers guys.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:36 PM
zerafian

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

need some pics before suggestions can begin me thinks :/
Old 04-15-2009, 02:41 PM
BabyZiLLa

Bit hard to get pics of it.. But i will try again..

In the mean time for anyone that knows aluminium wheels. Should you not be able to get a perfect shine without hazing/scratches?
Old 04-15-2009, 03:20 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No photos.
No interest.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:42 PM
avandss

Originally Posted by davidv
No photos.
No interest.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:24 PM
FliPPER_Z

good luck... its a pain to keep em nice...
Old 04-15-2009, 07:02 PM
the7thsin

My JLines have a bare aluminum lip too. When I polish them, they have a mirror finish. It does take some work to keep up with it though. Luckily for me, I don't drive it daily even though it is my DD. However, without seeing your rim, it is hard to compare. You may want to go buy some aluminum polish and give it a whirl. See if it doesn't get rid of the haze.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:04 PM
FliPPER_Z

Originally Posted by the7thsin
My JLines have a bare aluminum lip too. When I polish them, they have a mirror finish. It does take some work to keep up with it though. Luckily for me, I don't drive it daily even though it is my DD. However, without seeing your rim, it is hard to compare. You may want to go buy some aluminum polish and give it a whirl. See if it doesn't get rid of the haze.
do you use the powerball?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:09 PM
the7thsin

Nope. I polish them by hand, but that is only because I haven't had time to go buy a powerball to try. That's on my to-do-list...
Old 04-15-2009, 07:16 PM
FliPPER_Z

Nope. I polish them by hand, but that is only because I haven't had time to go buy a powerball to try. That's on my to-do-list...
i got mad water stains on mine...ehh they are getting worse by the day. I paid a guy to polish them before, he used buffing discs ,left them new!..... but he wants the bare rims without the tire...i cant really afford doing all that...what compound do you recommend?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:38 PM
the7thsin

Yeah, I had water spots/stains on mine too. It just took some work and patience to get them right. Definitely do it where you have time to polish more than once if they haven't been polished in a while. I use and recomend Meguiars Hot Rims Mag and Aluminum Polish.

Last edited by the7thsin; 04-15-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:48 PM
FliPPER_Z

Yeah, I had water spots/stains on mine too. It just took some work and patience to get them right. Definitely do it where you have time to polish more than once if they haven't been polished in a while. I use and recomend Meguiars Hot Rims Mag and Aluminum Polish.
Now one thing I never got clear...when you polish, the cloth is supposed to get black with all the black residue right? Are you suppose to keep using it, or keep getting new cloths. I’ve heard many stories about this…
Old 04-16-2009, 04:35 AM
BabyZiLLa

Originally Posted by davidv
No photos.
No interest.
Your buy far the most useless member on these boards as far as I'm concerned. All your posts resemble this.

It is hard to catch on film. Doesn't show well at all. My question was to anyone that know's metals. Is aluminium the type of metal that will always show some fine imperpections and can it be a mirror perfect aka perfect.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:42 AM
Murfdizzle21

Originally Posted by samr350z
Now one thing I never got clear...when you polish, the cloth is supposed to get black with all the black residue right? Are you suppose to keep using it, or keep getting new cloths. I’ve heard many stories about this…
i've got the same rims as u and the previous owner took no care of them at all, i need to go get them refinished so i can take care of them like you guys
Old 04-16-2009, 06:52 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, you can sand/polish the bare aluminum until it basically looks like chrome.

From what you've described, it sounds like you should use a high-grit wetsand to get rid of the light scratches.

When polishing aluminum, it's a matter of using increasing grit. Let's say you're starting out on unfinished (grey and textured) aluminum.

Sand with 60 grit to really destroy it
Wash with soap and water to get the debris off
Sand with 120 grit
Soap and water
Sand with 400 grit
Soap and water
mothers polish
sand with 600 grit
soap and water
mothers polish
etc
etc
etc

.... until you are wetsanding with a 2000 grit. By that time you should not be seeing "Streaks" or "scratches" in the aluminum. The metal polish is the key- using that and a buffer will turn that aluminum into a mirror.

Once you get them picture-perfect, you can either wax them really good or clear them professionally to make sure you don't have to polish them again. Chances are once you're done that wheel will look amazing and the other three will look dull by comparison and you'll eventually need to do the same to those.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:13 AM
FliPPER_Z

Originally Posted by Si3lv5er0Z
i've got the same rims as u and the previous owner took no care of them at all, i need to go get them refinished so i can take care of them like you guys

yup same here,i got them restore.

If this guy can do it... im pretty sure we can do it..

Last edited by FliPPER_Z; 04-16-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:23 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, a quality shop, if they take the time, can polish your aluminum wheels and remove all scratches. If they don't put a clear coat on them, you should put a good coat of wax on them on a routine basis.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:25 PM
the7thsin

Originally Posted by samr350z
From what I understand, you can continue to use the "black" cloth as you polish. The black residue acts as a slight polisher as well (since it is the polish combined with the oxidation it is removing). You'll want to use a clean cloth for removing the polish and buffing. After the cloth starts to turn black as well, you should move on to a new cloth and keep repeating until the cloth comes away clean.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:13 PM
FliPPER_Z

Originally Posted by scotts300
Yes, a quality shop, if they take the time, can polish your aluminum wheels and remove all scratches. If they don't put a clear coat on them, you should put a good coat of wax on them on a routine basis.
Ive heard about the wax too,never tried though...

From what I understand, you can continue to use the "black" cloth as you polish. The black residue acts as a slight polisher as well (since it is the polish combined with the oxidation it is removing). You'll want to use a clean cloth for removing the polish and buffing. After the cloth starts to turn black as well, you should move on to a new cloth and keep repeating until the cloth comes away clean.
thanks, that clear things up