Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

replicas or lookalikes

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 01:56 PM
WheelDude.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stradaONE8
Honestly if you are going to buy "cheaper" wheels, ie not Volks, Works, HRE, DPE, JLine, etc etc etc...that's perfectly fine.
Support a company making unique design. There are plenty of relatively unique mesh wheels that are not in the expensive category. Support those companies and their ingenuity and willingness to take risks. Don't feed a company that avoids the hardest part of running a business, which is coming up with an original: ie NOT Rota/Linea/whatever other companies that just take other peoples original work and make carbon copies of it because it'd be risky to do any design themselves...

Do a search, look around, buy a decent wheel, it doesn't matter that you can't afford Works right now, but just don't buy a replica. The real things are much more satisfying than some cheap knock-off...
You mention Work Wheels, have you seen any of their recent models and or compared them to other wheels that have been out for years..? A few more rivets here... a stepped lip there... but in reality they are pretty much a "replica" as you would describe..

Relatively new Work Varianza T1S

HRE 891R that's been out for years..

Relatively new Work Brombacher

BBS LM that's been out for years

Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep
You can score a gread deal on a used set of WORK wheels that you actually want to buy instead of some cast crap.

-Dan
Old 09-22-2009, 02:38 PM
TSG-Z

I agree with all thats been said about those Rota's, I would respect them if they made ONE original design! As far as the Shine replica's, I think their piece is better made, better materials & better quality for a fraction of the cost of the real piece. Really, lets be honest, can you(Rota defenders) say the same for Rota? OP, go with the RPF1's...best rims for the price.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:48 PM
stradaONE8

Originally Posted by WheelDude.com
You mention Work Wheels, have you seen any of their recent models and or compared them to other wheels that have been out for years..? A few more rivets here... a stepped lip there... but in reality they are pretty much a "replica" as you would describe..

-Dan
Honestly I didn't know that about the Varianzas, and now I know who came up with the original. Consequently, I wouldn't buy the Works on principle. But again, how does that make what Rota does legitimate? Just because some other company isn't 100% original, that gives you free reign to be 100% unoriginal? Work wheel still has plenty of unique designs THEY came up with.

Mesh wheels are a bit harder to imply replica, all of them relatively look the same +/- some subtleties so I wont even go down that road.

But the major point is I'm not here bashing people who can't afford expensive wheels, nor should anyone else. I'm not even bashing your quality. I've said a million times, for the money, you guys make very good wheels despite some stories about cracking. IF you made your own designs, even if they were just inspired by some other stuff out there, I'd probably buy a set for some regular car I took to work everyday.

But as it stands, EVERY wheel you purport is a direct replica minus some very fine details of an existing product down to the angle of spoke/area around the hub. To me that isn't really ethical, you have nothing in your repertoire other than making copies of other peoples ideas, that isn't something I endorse in any arena of life. Frankly it's looked down upon and even punished in some areas, but because there is no law against what you do, you thrive off it.

But I maintain you can do better.
Example:
You can take a 10 spoke design and make it yours, obviously it will have 10 spokes like every other 10 spoke, wheel but they can be unique:

Volk CE28:

Volk G10:

Prodrive GC10G:

Prodrive GC10E:

Advan RS:

Rota DPT:

Hmmm, now while all these are similar in style, they are all still identifiably different, but one seems to be a bit too similar and that's what YOU sell.
And the idea that you can't come up with your own design is utter BS. You know exactly how Rota runs their business model, and if you ever had an original idea shamelessly copied, maybe you'd see something wrong with that. But you don't and thus I don't support you and don't recommend anyone to do the same. It takes away from innovation and encourages other companies to be lazy and copy. Obviously it's profitable an you found your niche, but you found it as a leech.

That's my opinion, obviously many people don't care hence why you stay in business, but still my opinion. Obviously little will change acutely, but if the OP either saves for the originals he really wants or supports a company making affordable BUT unique wheel, I think it's a small step in the right direction.

Tough if you don't like my stance, but come back with an actual rebuttal other than pointing out someone else copying, then we have a conversation. But until then, you are someone who does something wrong and points out that other people do the same or worse to make your case instead of looking at what you do.

/end
Old 09-22-2009, 04:13 PM
King350Z

lol @ all repsonses so far. OP wants advice on what wheel to get primarily one that would accomodate his budget, not the history of wheels and their inexplicable similarities to the next. Good job guys. Another thread that fell off a cliff =)

P.S. I do love my CR Kai's. OP, save for some of those. A used set of course =) Pretty wheels
Old 09-22-2009, 08:14 PM
engiNERD350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by engiNERD350Z; 12-08-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:54 PM
FATPUBUS

I like Wheeldude, that guy can back up everything he says...I'll buy some wheels from him soon! And once again I see that some people think if you dont spend 3000+ for wheels then you're an outcast...wtf, I thought this site was for people with the same interests to share info etc... not give a guy crap because he does not have disposable cash to buy the so-called real thing
Old 09-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Dark8lue

since we're on the sunject, does anybody know what axis shine's are a replica of? cuz axis shine's do not come in black and im getting mine custom made in gloss black just wanted to no what its more rediculously expense model is...
Old 09-22-2009, 11:01 PM
ITOzann

I love my rotas. got them from wheeldude(5 starts vendor) I use them at the track, for autocross, as a daily driver, at the twisties and never they gave an issue. I'd love to get works, volks but there is no need for it; with that money I wpuld rather invest on tires, coils, track time.... or anything else(FI ).

BTW, I wonder if those Rota haters that own works, volks, etc push their rims at least 40% or more of its limits. I also wonder if they have own and tried rotas to state they suck. The looks are like other brands, but now a days everyone does that. Examples were stated previously.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:16 AM
bkultra

There is a large market for knockoffs, so there will always be companies like Rota to capitalize on that fact. The only time it bothers me is when the knockoff owners claim they are getting the same (or nearly the same) wheel for a fraction of the cost. The process and materials use are nowhere near the same, only the look is. Here is a chart I made to compare Rota to Volk...

Note: Rota uses low pressure casting and A356.2

(1ksi = 1000psi)

Edit: By no means am I saying Rota makes a low quality wheel, in fact they are very good for the cost. I am simply pointing out the differences that the cost reflects.

Last edited by bkultra; 09-23-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:30 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^Ding!
Old 09-23-2009, 08:02 AM
WhiteOnWhite350z

Originally Posted by ITOzann
I love my rotas. got them from wheeldude(5 starts vendor) I use them at the track, for autocross, as a daily driver, at the twisties and never they gave an issue. I'd love to get works, volks but there is no need for it; with that money I wpuld rather invest on tires, coils, track time.... or anything else(FI ).

BTW, I wonder if those Rota haters that own works, volks, etc push their rims at least 40% or more of its limits. I also wonder if they have own and tried rotas to state they suck. The looks are like other brands, but now a days everyone does that. Examples were stated previously.
You get what you pay for. I live by that.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:33 AM
engiNERD350Z

Last edited by engiNERD350Z; 12-08-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:35 AM
engiNERD350Z

Originally Posted by WhiteOnWhite350z
You get what you pay for. I live by that.
You pay some for the addition in quality and then you pay for the marketing.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Dark8lue

^true
Old 09-23-2009, 11:21 AM
WhiteOnWhite350z

Originally Posted by engiNERD350Z
You pay some for the addition in quality and then you pay for the marketing.
Well you paid for some of Rota's marketing and advertising as well. Hell if you look at their website, you probably paid more so that Rota is able to convince consumers their products are world class quality. Those costs are already factored into every product.

But at the end of the day, you still get what you pay for (quality wise).

However, I think most people on this forum are also brand ******, hence the influx of Volk wheels on 350zs. When people start asking about financing wheels (which has been done on this forum), you know there is a problem. Some people, followers in my opinion, would do anything to fit in and follow the masses. These people, when they bash cheaper wheel brands, are the reason I believe many owners of Rota type wheel brands feel the need to defend themselves and their purchases.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:54 PM
engiNERD350Z

Last edited by engiNERD350Z; 12-08-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:01 PM
WhiteOnWhite350z

Originally Posted by engiNERD350Z
I agree with the latter part of your post regarding people being brand ****** and stretching themselves thin to follow the crowd. I think their bashing is to make them feel better and justify buying out of their means. (Not attacking people who like Volks and can afford them). So I do agree, those are probably the people that attack Rota the most. If you can’t afford them, don’t buy them.

In all honestly and modesty, I can afford new Volks without it affecting my personal finances. The reason I went with Rota however is a choice based upon 3 factors: 1) Looks 2) use environment 3) price. For me, I was looking for wheels that would work for a daily driver and that I liked the look of, while being reasonably price. Although I am probably more financially stable than 50% (just a guess) of the Volk owners on here, Rotas fit what I was looking for. If you can afford them, it still doesn’t mean you have to buy them.
Fair enough. Not many people are like you or me who buys wheels that fit OUR needs, not the opinions and needs of others. I don't have Volks. I had Avus wheels before the wheels I got now. I don't track my car it only sees the streets of Miami. I needed a good looking, lightweight, 3 piece and strong 20 inch wheel. Oh and also something that not every other 350z on the street has.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:10 PM
bomber

Love my Rota Torque wheels. Perfect for my daily driver. If I was a professional race car driver I would probably by one of the high end racing wheels that so many of you put on your cars.

I am a degreed Mechanical Engineer and I can tell you the chart posted above does not necessarily mean anything. It seems to me that the Rotas are well within any safety factor for a street use wheel. The price performance curve with most products is non linear which means as a street driver you get diminishing returns when buying racing wheels.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:32 PM
engiNERD350Z

Last edited by engiNERD350Z; 12-08-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:10 PM
TheFarmer

I'm not a mechanical engineer I just wanted to let you guys know But I agree, Rotas are fine if you're on a budget. They're great wheels.

Quick Reply: replicas or lookalikes