Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Fatlace article on fake wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 06:14 PM
hwcustoms

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Homie you make good points.... I can't deny that.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:36 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You make some very good points, and ones that are very true when it comes to the down side of nice wheels. No argument here, just wanna show how i address these issues:

Originally Posted by HomieG35
Sold my $3500 wheels for Varrs because I was tired of sweating like a pig every time I needed the tires flipped.
Good shop here in town works with these wheels daily. No worries whatsoever and guarenteed blemish free after service. They specialize in high end wheels, and for near the same price as any other shop.

I got tired of not cleaning them enough and getting messed up by weather and the wrong type of cleaners.
They dont get messed up by weather. I dont use the wrong type of cleaners, just soap and water which saves money on wheel cleaner i guess. Easy.

My GF loved cleaning the wheels for shows and put a lot of swirls on them... But I let her because she was only trying to help.
I would tell her she's doing it wrong. Cute or not, im sure she would understand you showing her the correct way.

I got tired of wondering when I would come out to my car and find it on blocks.
Wheel locks. Easy. Im actually more worried about whats inside my car than whats on the outside, besides my paint and the douche that likes to damage what he cant have. Moreover, like just about anything in life, you could worry yourself to death over just about anything. This is no different. Just have to learn that you can only do so much to avoid it. I would park just as anally even if i had cheaper wheels.

And I got tired of thinking about the valet curbing them or the dealer scratching them...
I dont Valet....EVER. Again, i'm more worried about whats inside then them curbing my wheels. In fact, sometimes i actually PAY to park my own car in the valet area just because i know valet area is up front and constantly being watched. I even tip.

Like i said, very good points. It is def much easier to own a cheaper set of wheels...but for me, paying 1k for some wheels to settle = me not loving what i purchased and therefore me end up not caring as much about them eventually = why i buy them in the first place? For me, the rewards outweigh the extra effort involved. But as Z1 said, it all depends on what you want to spend your money on, and why you are modding your car in the first place.

Last edited by GeauxLadyZ; 10-05-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why would something cheaper cause you to not care?

Personally, I like to take care of my stuff, no matter how much it cost.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:56 PM
phreaktor
Design Engineer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Beg to differ

Old 10-05-2010, 06:57 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Originally Posted by Spork
Why would something cheaper cause you to not care?

Personally, I like to take care of my stuff, no matter how much it cost.
Originally Posted by GeauxLadyZ

...but for me, paying 1k for some wheels to settle = me not loving what i purchased and therefore me end up not caring as much about them eventually = why i buy them in the first place? For me, the rewards outweigh the extra effort involved. But as Z1 said, it all depends on what you want to spend your money on, and why you are modding your car in the first place.
The point was not that they were cheap, the point was that they were NOT exactly what i wanted. I would be "settling" for something. I dont like settling for things when 1K+ is involved in buying anything non-quintessential. Either i get exactly what i want or i dont waste my money. No regrets. Price is irrelevant. If I love it and its cheap...awesome.

How many times do you see "I really want Volks or Works but i cant afford them so im getting Rotas or Varrs." ... I see it daily.

Last edited by GeauxLadyZ; 10-05-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hwcustoms
I'm just saying I did not pay 4k for my brand new 19" te37's
my guess is you bought them awhile ago. We have a set of TE's that we got in 2007 that still aren't on the car yet, and prices then were a far cry from where they are now
Old 10-05-2010, 08:53 PM
litoflow

I dont agree with people buying fake wheels and on top of that making themselves believe they are the real thing. i understand not all of us have the money to spend on brand wheels but if you buy fake wheels it just looks stupid to put real stickers or think/believe you have the real Volks or whatever the case is. I myself don't own Work wheels but if i did and someone parked beside me with some fake ones and tells me they got the same wheels as me or the real thing i would be pissed specially because most of the people that go to the meets and stuff dont know what you have and they will think they are both the same and only those who know the real thing will know the difference. In a way i am glad i don't have Work wheels.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:54 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

If your talking RRP then yes, but who pays RRP these days.

I can get a set of 4 19x10.5 +22 in a custom colour for around 3300 shipped to my door.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Everything is copied to some extent, get over it. Some copy and improve on the design (palm, blackberry , Iphone, andriod ) some just copy and make it cheaper. Does it matter if Invicta has a Rolex knock off for $100 , than Walmart has a generic knock off for $15. The peron buying the $15 watch isn't in the market for the $100 version, the person buying the $100 version isn't in the market for the $5k one. Just like XXR wheel, then Rota/Varr then Volk.

Levis made the original jeans, do you wear something other than Levis?
Ok Terrasmak you need to stop using the watch reference thing its completely false and has nothing to do with the topic at all... Though the Invita Diver looks like a Rolex Oyster Perpetual IT IS NOT A KNOCK OFF NOR IS IT A REPLICA... I wrote it in caps so you can understand. Here's the definition of the word Replica from Dictionary.com

rep·li·ca   
[rep-li-kuh]
–noun
1.a copy or reproduction of a work of art produced by the maker of the original or under his or her supervision.
2.any close or exact copy or reproduction.

Invicta

Rolex

Ok guy... You cant put a sticker on the Invicta and say you have a Rolex, you can't change the Japanese movement to a Swiss movement. Though the look very very similar, the Invicta is NOT a replica or a Knock off as you like to call it... its simply an Invicta so you have the "look" your trying to attain but at no point can you Pose that you own a Rolly. I cant show you an Invicta and say "hey like my Rolly?" but I can show you a set of Varrs with Volk stickers and say " Like my new TE's?" Thats the difference here.

That is a Varrosteon Wheel...

That is a TE37(weak offset but you get the point).. Now if someone removes the "Volk" sticker from his TE's and put them side to side with a Varrs it would be very very difficult to discern them.. why? Because THEY ARE AN EXACT REPLICA. Only guys that are very good can recognize an Authentic TE to a Replica Varrs. I can't personally but I can recognize a Replica LM from my authentic set.

If the Varrs came with something that could differentiate themselves from the TE's I think this would be less of an issue. If they engraved "Varrstoen" in a similar fashion that 19 TE's have "forged" it would be a little more respectable in my opinion. B/c at that point you've tried separating themselves from Volk and have established that they are NOT Volks.

Now for the guys who get but hurt that own a set of Varrs and tell us(being the ones who have Authentic wheels) that we are Aholes for hating on you... dont say that you "prefer" getting the Varrs b/c thats what you "like" b/c if you had a choice you wouldnt have bought them. I understand that people cant afford expensive wheels but don't pose them as originals.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Max-G

a car with fake wheels will never be as cool as a car with real wheels. end of story.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:48 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
If the Varrs came with something that could differentiate themselves from the TE's I think this would be less of an issue. If they engraved "Varrstoen" in a similar fashion that 19 TE's have "forged" it would be a little more respectable in my opinion. B/c at that point you've tried separating themselves from Volk and have established that they are NOT Volks.
So if they were to put a decal on a spoke with their name or maybe their own centercap it would be coolish? Well anyhow, they would never get installed on my car.

Same Invicta i have, decent watch. The band digs in when typing, definatly sharper edges on the band and case.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

^Or at least do something that would make them different... I would NEVER in my life rock a Varrs.. EVER! I could understand if the quality was as good or better, a perfect example would be Meister's vs. SP1's. They're both incredible quality wheels, both are multi piece, and both have racing pedigree. The SP1's are a little less but the Meister's are the one everyone strives for. As for the watch I like 44mm or bigger watches... I cant rock a Rolly b/c looks girly on my small wrists(no homo).
Old 10-06-2010, 04:35 AM
Zakira

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's the difference between an imitation and a copy. When you imitate, you are recognizing a greatness of another and you're striving to be the same or even better, it is flattering. A copy is blatant, like copying verbatim a design, putting on a fake logo, basically trying to pass something off as real. It is stealing, illegal and unethical. So is a Varrstoen an imitation or a copy? How bout the Rolly and Invicta? If a fake logo is put on, it certainly becomes a copy.

Last edited by Zakira; 10-06-2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:56 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

^Its a replica...
Old 10-06-2010, 05:57 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Originally Posted by Zakira
I think it's the difference between an imitation and a copy. When you imitate, you are recognizing a greatness of another and you're striving to be the same or even better, it is flattering. A copy is blatant, like copying verbatim a design, putting on a fake logo, basically trying to pass something off as real. It is stealing, illegal and unethical. So is a Varrstoen an imitation or a copy? How bout the Rolly and Invicta? If a fake logo is put on, it certainly becomes a copy.

^ No, the watches are not the same.

If you were to put a Rolly logo on the Invicta, one could still tell that it was not a Rolly.

With wheels, where 18" are concerned, there is very little if no way to tell the difference besides tags. You cant "see" that they are cast wheels vs. forged.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:00 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

^omg thank you!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:28 AM
TreeFittyZee

Old 10-06-2010, 07:54 AM
VQpoweredZ

^^^ That is the post of the year in my opinion, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

Last edited by VQpoweredZ; 10-06-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:23 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Originally Posted by TreeFittyZee

Old 10-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I can understand a 18 year old who spent his entire life savings on a salvaged 03 Z with 140K that he bought for $7K, that wants to look cool too. I think its cute, I really do. Come on, if youre over 21, have some class. Stop being a poser. I've heard every excuse in the world on why you have fake ghetto wheels. Own up, you cant afford them then dont, stop buying cheaply made ghetto fakes and ricing up your ride. I'll never understand the need for wheels so much that youre going to get rid of your quality OEM wheels for some chitty poser garbage. Nice Altezzas

Oh and Nice R8 Brah!

Quick Reply: Fatlace article on fake wheels...