Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Coil Overs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 08:50 AM
Jim Jones
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Overs?

I am now ready to lower my 350Z Track. I need to have adjustable ride height. It is ok if the car has to go on a hoist to have the height adjusted, but the easier it is, the better. Now that I have another car for my daily driver, I can mod the Z more for the track.

The reason I need adjustable ride height (and the reason I could not lower it before) is that the building where I work has only one entrance to the garage, and there is a huge hump to get over. I can just barely clear it with the stock ride height. I want to be able to drive the car to work after adjusting the ride height UP.

The only suspension mods I have done so far are the Nismo S-Tune Swaybars, and the Crawford front strut brace.

So here are the questions:

1. I think I want coil overs. I have never had them on any car before, but I understand you can adjust the ride height. Is that right?

2. If #1 is yes, how much can I lower it below stock at the front and back, and can I bring it back up to the stock ride height when I want to drive the car to work?

3. How hard is it to do the adjustment, and can it be done without a professionl hoist, i.e., with a floor jack?

4. What brand should I get?

5. Do I change the springs too? If so, can I still adjust the ride height?

6. What question did I not ask that I should have about lowering the car?

Thank you.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:27 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

moved

1.) yes you can adjust ride height.

2.) ride height adjustment depends on the brand of coilover. the tein type flex can be lowered over 2".

3.) it can be adjusted w/o a jack. it's pretty easy.

4.) tein type flex since the damping can be adjusted electronically with the edfc.

5.) no

6.) What is your primary purpose? Street? Track?

I am selling my set of Type FLEX coilovers w/EDFC for $1800 shipped. MSRP is $2240.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:32 AM
MSM Racing

Okay, let me see if I can shed some light on the subject...

1. yes. coilovers typically allow for height adjustment via a threaded collar the coil sits on

2. The lowering amount depends on the coilovers. I know with the KW's that I can put it in the weeds, or back to stock height. I currently have it about an inch below stock and I still drive it every day.

3. Changing the height just requires removing the wheel and turning the collar. Not a big deal really. It takes me about an hour to do all 4 wheels. That's just with a basic floor jack

4. That is really a personal choice. I personally like the KW's as they provide a great ride for the street but handle extremely well. Check out this for more info:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=52683

I currently have a group buy running for the KW's in the group buy section...

5. Well, new springs come with the coilovers as they are a complete package. The springs just sit on threaded collars, which is how they are adjustable.

6. Are you more track oriented or street oriented. This will make a huge difference in your coilover selection..
Old 12-12-2003, 09:32 AM
Jim Jones
Banned

Default Primary Purpose is Track

But the car still has to be streetable. I will sometimes drive it on weekends, and occasionally to work.

Thanks for the advice. Tein sounds like the way to go.

So do the stock springs stay in the car? If so, how do you lower it without changing them?
Old 12-12-2003, 10:22 AM
twenzel

Default Re: Primary Purpose is Track

Originally posted by Jim Jones

So do the stock springs stay in the car? If so, how do you lower it without changing them?
They come with new springs. Take a look at some pictures of the TEINS and the JIC FLT-A2's These are both really good setup. Pretty much what you get per corner is a new shock, spring and threaded spring perch or collar. Your stock springs will be left out in the garage.
For your purpose though it sounds like most of your driving will be on public roads. So TEIN FLEX will probably be your best choice. The spring rates are not too stiff and so while they are not the best for the track, they will be comfortable on the street. Plus if you get the EDFC option you can adjust the damping of the shocks while in the car.
But definately look at some pictures of the coilover setups and you be able to make sense of the way they adjust ride height.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:31 AM
Jim Jones
Banned

Default EDFC

Thanks for all the info. I like the Tein Flex coil overs with EDFC. Does anyone have the EDFC, and if so:

1. How do you like it, and

2. Where did you put the control unit? (can it fit under the cover in the center console?)
Old 12-12-2003, 01:23 PM
MY350Z.COM

Originally posted by 3rdpower
First, the TEIN Flex system made a nice improvement in the driving dynamics. I was able to easily hunker down on some turns where I tended to lose a lot of grip. The TEIN install was done by a local racing shop here in Seattle. The installation cost was roughly $250 (a steal considering the EDFC was a pain in the **** to install!). The feature / functionality of the EDFC is undeniable... it is a serious must if you are going to buy the flex system spend the extra for the EDFC! There's nothing like a nice smooth ride when you want and a serious corner cutter when you really want to get down.

https://my350z.com/forum/attachment....&postid=258623

https://my350z.com/forum/attachment....&postid=258624

https://my350z.com/forum/attachment....&postid=259283

https://my350z.com/forum/attachment....&postid=568605

Originally posted by 3rdpower
Took a while But I finally got my TEIN Flex w/ EDFC installed. My overall satisfaction is an 8.5 out of 10. Great system overall. I dropped the Z until the my 19" iForge rims were tucked and then had to raise it again because I couldn't get in my dang apartment driveway!!!

Performance:

Over stock ride quality I'd definitely say there's a markable improvement through all dampening settings. The highest dampening comes close to stock, however, it just a tab bit more stiff. At the 0 dampening level the car definitely cuts into corners better. There's also a noticeable increase in road pebble noise I've hit a couple turns a bit faster then normal and the Z seems to grip better with no dampening. It sortah cuts into the turns and the tires are a bit less likely to lose grip.

Features:

Well there's no comparision in my opinion. There is no other coilover kit that's going to give you the feature/functionality for THE STREET. These are definitely not track coilovers mind you, however, you could have a little bit of fun at the track with them. The EDFC is going into the ash tray (custom job and pictures to come). It's simple to read and understand with 3 button memory.

I think once I have finished the drop it' look nice, however, be a bit on the higher side from some of the other TEIN systems I have seen. I'd like to pull it down LOW low but just can't. Overall satisfaction is high... this is a great little system and well worth it for any street drivers who are searching for a bit more suspension spunk. Please email if you have questions.
Originally posted by SandMan
I am loving my flex dampers. I do not regret spending the cash for these. The EDFC kicks much ***, and just so damn convenient. I recommend them to anyone who can spare the cash. Plus with the cusco sway bars, damn that would be sick.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:53 AM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EDFC

Thanks for all the info. I like the Tein Flex coil overs with EDFC. Does anyone have the EDFC, and if so:

1. How do you like it, and

2. Where did you put the control unit? (can it fit under the cover in the center console?)
I was almost sold on JIC but the EDFC was the kicker on going with the Teins. It's so nice to be able to adjust the damping while driving. The only complaint is that I get a slight rattle from the rear ones. All the Tein Flex owners I have asked get the same (or similar) noise. I spoke with the Tein reps at SEMA and they stated that they recently redesigned the pillow ball to take care of the noise issue. But I don't think anyone has confirmed this. I've also heard a few JIC owners mention that their coilover make some noise as well.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:28 AM
MSM Racing

I don't want to dump on the Teins as they are a great system, but, if you are looking for something more track oriented, you may want to try something with independant dampening controls. In track conditions, you may sometimes want more compression and less rebound or vice versa. Also, something with a little heavier springrate may be more up your alley as well.

Again, this is only if you are really interested in a more track oriented setup.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:52 AM
Ultimateone

My advise would be to look into the Cusco's, JIC's and the HKS Hipermax Coils.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:45 AM
MY350Z.COM

cusco's seem to want to promote understeer due to their selected springrates.

hks hipermax are supposedly soft luxury coilovers.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:20 PM
Ultimateone

Originally posted by Mike Wazowski
cusco's seem to want to promote understeer due to their selected springrates.

hks hipermax are supposedly soft luxury coilovers.
A friend of mine from Japan is running HKS on his Z and tracks his car A lot, he swears by them. And you may be right about the Cusco's but Im looking into those and even the Tanabe coils, Im not interested in getting what everyone else has...its no fun
Old 12-13-2003, 09:41 PM
___DJK___

HKS makes 3 types of coilovers for our Zs

LS - Ride height adjustable
LS+ - Ride and Dampening adjustable
D2 - Ride and dampening adjustable

The LS (Luxury sport) is basically your set it and forget it solution. Some members have reported these feel fine on the street but may be a little soft for track applications

I just picked up a set of the LS+ coilovers and the ride is very similar to stock. There are 30 adjustable settings for dampening and I am at 15 of 30. For every day driving, the middle setting will probably be fine. I may get curious one of these days and crank them to 30 to see what the ride is like.

D2 (Damper II) - Also have 30 dampening settings but are supposedly much more firm. I believe a couple members have these and are totally satisfied with them.

I chose the LS+ because it seemed to offer the best trade off between performance and street driveability. So far I am really liking the way it rides. No squeaks or rattles either.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:11 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

first and foremost, no coilover currently out there is going to allow you to raise the car beyond stock levels...in many instances, even at their hightest settings, most coilovers a bit lower than stock.

How much track time are you going to be doing? How experienced of a track driver are you? are you going to mke track side changes to preload, dampening, spring rates, etc, or just want a system thats more of a plug in and go, for a variety fo situations.

having driven the Cusco setups on 2 cars, I can personally attest they do not induce understeer at all......
Old 12-15-2003, 05:50 PM
Jim Jones
Banned

Default I am not an experienced track driver

I am going to the performance driving clinic at Buttonwillow Raceway this Saturday. It will be only my second time driving on the track. But I want to lower the car for both handling and looks, and I need the adjustable ride height so I can raise the car back to stock height for getting it into the garage at my office.

I drive the S4 most of the time now, and am modding the Z more seriously, with things that make it less streetable. Thinking about Tilton 8 lb. flywheel and clutch.

So I guess I don'e need the most radical coil over set-up, but a do like a really firm ride and am looking forward to the cornering improvement.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:00 AM
MSM Racing

Default Re: I am not an experienced track driver

So I guess I don'e need the most radical coil over set-up, but a do like a really firm ride and am looking forward to the cornering improvement.
If you are looking for a firm ride, with complete adjustability for dampening, but still providing a ride good enough for street driving, I highly recommend the KW's. I have them on my car and drive ~70miles per day round trip. I also track my car 5-6 times per year and these are the ones I will be using.

Steve
MSM Racing
Old 12-17-2003, 10:11 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Tein CS would also be a nice choice for you
Old 12-17-2003, 03:10 PM
daytona350z

just wondering if any coilovers that are avail for our car, if they have adj camber/pillow plates....
Old 12-18-2003, 03:52 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

most of them do
Old 12-23-2003, 11:45 AM
whatever
Veteran

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
having driven the Cusco setups on 2 cars, I can personally attest they do not induce understeer at all......
are these the Zero2? are both car equip with the Cusco sways as well?

Quick Reply: Coil Overs?