Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Hairline crack on OEM Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 11:27 AM
codek

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hairline crack on OEM Wheels

I have an 07 base 350z. Both my front rims are cracked. The right is causing air to be released from the tire.

Can I take this to a welder or how much to buy used stock rims?

I currently don't have a job and need a cost effective solution.

I was told to not buy from craigslist because a lot of these rims are cracked.

How much should I expect to pay for two front stock rims?

Left wheel. I don't think air is coming out of this tire at all since the spoke is cracked.

Right wheel is at a shop, the crack is somewhere else and psi would go to 0 in less than 24 hour time.

My shop called around at it seems like they don't want to sell these wheels because all of them get cracks in the spoke sooner or later.

I found one set in the classifieds but they were used for the track, is that a good idea?

TIA to all the 350z experts out there. Hopefully, I can land a job soon.

Right now, I'm scared to go one mile with this crack.

Last edited by codek; 04-23-2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: updated with pix 2
Old 04-23-2013, 11:38 AM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by codek
I have an 07 base 350z. I'm wondering if the stock rims have issues with cracks because both of my fronts are cracked. Both are causing air to be released from the tire.

Can I take this to a welder or how much to buy used stock rims?

I currently don't have a job and need a cost effective solution.

I was told to not buy from craigslist because a lot of these rims are cracked.

How much should I expect to pay for two front stock rims?

Please help me out.
If both fronts are cracked, it's prolly a defect in the rims. Cracks can be welded as long as there are no more than two per rim. The more welds you add, the more BRITTLE the wheel gets. I have the same problem with my FORGE STAR F14 rear wheels and one rim has FOUR inner cracks and can't be repaired. The other has only one crack (so far). I decided to DUMP them, since they appear to be defective with TWO rims showing the cracks.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would just look for a set of used wheels in our marketplace

Since you're in SoCal, just look here:

https://my350z.com/forum/socal-marketplace-468/

Do you have any photos you can share of the cracked wheels?
Old 04-23-2013, 02:05 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hard to do much of anything without a job. Buy gas? Pay car insurance? Maintenance? Anyway, without seeing a picture, no one can make an honest assessment of your options. How much air does it lose in a certain period? 5psi/24hours? More? Less?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 PM
codek

Originally Posted by scotts300
Hard to do much of anything without a job. Buy gas? Pay car insurance? Maintenance? Anyway, without seeing a picture, no one can make an honest assessment of your options. How much air does it lose in a certain period? 5psi/24hours? More? Less?
I have a credit card. Will need to have a job very soon. I'm willing to buy decent aftermarket rims. Looking for a gunmetal type, maybe 5 spoke.

Or buy the used ones and hope they last a year. Or weld them and hope they last a year.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:36 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Just get a new set of cheap wheels
Old 04-23-2013, 07:43 PM
drvqz33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy some 03-05 wheels. Those are the cheapest oem wheels i believe. Then save for some aftermarkets.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:25 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

I have a credit card. Will need to have a job very soon. I'm willing to buy decent aftermarket rims. Looking for a gunmetal type, maybe 5 spoke.

Or buy the used ones and hope they last a year. Or weld them and hope they last a year.
I wouldn't be worried about picking up another set of these. It seems like yours are just defective. Many people here including myself have these oem rims and have no issues.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:19 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Call Nissan North American - NNA customer service.

Get transfered, etc to customer service and tell them that you want to submit a claim - out of warranty, etc

tell them you have a safety of life situation with their oem wheel catastrofic failure on cracking.

tell them that you have pictures you can email.

they will set up a claim, and have you go to a dealership, the dealership willl review, take their own pictures and submit the info to NNA as well.

odds are they will pay for new rims.

if you wanna go nuts you can have them pay time lost - might need a lawyer, but ya....

http://www.nissanusa.com/apps/contactus

Nissan Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 685003
Franklin, TN 37068-5003
Phone: (800) NISSAN-1 (or 800-647-7261)

Monday through Friday:
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, (in each time zone)

-J
Old 04-24-2013, 04:31 AM
SQuaLZ

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA

Get transfered, etc to customer service and tell them that you want to submit a claim - out of warranty, etc

tell them you have a safety of life situation with their oem wheel catastrofic failure on cracking.

they will set up a claim, and have you go to a dealership, the dealership willl review, take their own pictures and submit the info to NNA as well.

if you wanna go nuts you can have them pay time lost - might need a lawyer, but ya....

Nissan Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 685003
Franklin, TN 37068-5003

Monday through Friday:

-J
Bam! Do it that will totally work!

Nissan would not want a lawsuit in regards to a safety issue, and if something were to happen they would probably lose big by having to issue a massive recall.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:43 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

ya know what, when you talk to them, tell them you want a different set all together!!...tell them you have NO FAITH in those wheels, that this event has scared you and you will not drive those 06+ wheels.

Then bamm - tell them you want the GT/35th Anniversary wheels....! or nismo wheels:???

In all honesty....i wouldn't want the same style (known to YOU to crack) wheels again on my car!

hell, have them pay you out, the price of two oem wheels is probably more then enough to buy a normal set of aftermarket wheels...

-J
Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 AM
SQuaLZ

ya know what, when you talk to them, tell them you want a different set all together!!...tell them you have NO FAITH in those wheels, that this event has scared you and you will not drive those 06+ wheels.

Then bamm - tell them you want the GT/35th Anniversary wheels....! or nismo wheels:???

In all honesty....i wouldn't want the same style (known to YOU to crack) wheels again on my car!

hell, have them pay you out, the price of two oem wheels is probably more then enough to buy a normal set of aftermarket wheels...

-J
Nissan quoted me about $1,050 for each front rim, about $1,200 for each rear rim.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:44 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 456 Likes on 370 Posts

If there is any curb rash at all on the rims you will have no claim.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:36 PM
codek

Nissan Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 685003
Franklin, TN 37068-5003

Monday through Friday:

-J
Thanks for the help, guys. I gave them a call and I'm going to try to get the cost of the replacements for all 4 wheels. They told me to bring it in.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:07 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Good luck with your claim. If there is one word that scares the **** out of any industry that word is safety. I'd say they weren't safe with horrible big cracks in them and i'd hate to think about the outcome if you were going about your business driving down the highway and there was a wheel failure.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:20 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
Nissan quoted me about $1,050 for each front rim, about $1,200 for each rear rim.
pff, exactly.......

-J
Old 04-25-2013, 03:27 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Thanks for the help, guys. I gave them a call and I'm going to try to get the cost of the replacements for all 4 wheels. They told me to bring it in.
dude, on this issue, i would stay there, not in the waiting area, but by your car 100 percent of the time...if they take pictures, dismount tires, inspect the wheel with tire off, etc...every minute i would be with the car, and watching everything they do...

***** nilly, bust out your cell phone, take pics yourself, etc....ask for copy's of their pics....

KNOW what they are doing to your car...dont just give it to them....

-J
Old 04-25-2013, 12:02 PM
codek

There talking like the salesman they are and are coming up with all kinds of reasons. They said warranty was over at 36k. I said it was a safety issue and they said there was no recalls or anything of that sort on it.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:40 PM
K51

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't imagine this simply isn't impact damage of some sort. As long as these wheels have been out there, this doesn't seem to be a known issue, and to have both front wheels on one car cracked seems like too much of a coincidence.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:34 PM
codek

Originally Posted by K51
I can't imagine this simply isn't impact damage of some sort. As long as these wheels have been out there, this doesn't seem to be a known issue, and to have both front wheels on one car cracked seems like too much of a coincidence.
The crack on the spoke is a known issue. The guys at the america's tires called around and no one would sell them a set used because they all crack at the spoke sooner or later.

Quick Reply: Hairline crack on OEM Wheels