Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

TPMS question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Z-Crazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS question

I upgraded wheels from 18s to 19s and the diammeter of the wheels is nearly same.

TPMS comes on only when I drive on the freeway.

Light blinks, then goes soild and then disappears.

Light does not come on any other time.

Discount tire reprogrammed the TPMS.

Do I need to reprogram again using the wire shorting method under the passenger side dash?
Old 07-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How old are your sensors? Might be going out of battery.

Blinking is related to car not picking up the sensors.

If your tires ever get low, they should come on solid immediately.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:28 PM
Z-Crazy

I dont know when the previous owner bought TPMS. I put them on to new wheels recently.

I checked the pressure first and it is ok.

If battery is going bad, will it not happen as soon as the car starts moving?
Old 07-17-2013, 05:38 PM
RMichael

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if the sensor is coming on at mileage they aren't registering. it comes on at mileage when it's not recognized.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:50 PM
Z-Crazy

Oh I see, discount tire reprogrammed them but may be I need to do it as per the wire shorting technique in the diy
Old 07-17-2013, 06:13 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

I recently put new wheels on and "new" TPMS sensors with them; drove for a day or so before light came on which I was expecting. I just made apt. at local Nissan dealer and in about 15 min. they recalibrated the new sensors and it's all good (except it costs about $50 at Dealer). Would be worth it though if that keeps happening to you. Good luck with it.

*also, Dealer service guy told me that there are some aftermarket wheels that make it hard to recalibrate the sensors and/or "won't" work correctly due to interference as to wheel design; blocks the proper signal.

Last edited by BigBlue; 07-17-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Pete5150

But the sensors are on the inside of the wheels. Rim design should not interfere because the only thing between the sensor and the car is rubber from the tire...
Old 07-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Z-Crazy

Originally Posted by Pete5150
But the sensors are on the inside of the wheels. Rim design should not interfere because the only thing between the sensor and the car is rubber from the tire...
I went from 18" to 19" wheels.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:55 PM
BigBlue

Originally Posted by Pete5150
I'm not sure where the TPMS sensor signal is recieved, but some sensors are toward outside of wheel (valve stem) compared to other wheels and there can be more wheel between the sensor and where signal is recieved depending on design. Just today a guy on here is selling his burning black Work wheels that he says "are not TPMS compatible". I don't know all the details about some wheels working with tpms and some not; just what I was told.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Pete5150

Originally Posted by BigBlue
I'm not sure where the TPMS sensor signal is recieved, but some sensors are toward outside of wheel (valve stem) compared to other wheels and there can be more wheel between the sensor and where signal is recieved depending on design. Just today a guy on here is selling his burning black Work wheels that he says "are not TPMS compatible". I don't know all the details about some wheels working with tpms and some not; just what I was told.
The car's sensor is located up in the fender well somewhere. So it is looking through the plastic, then through the rubber tire to the outer surface of the rim (inside the tire) where the sensor is. For stock, the TPMS sensor is attached to and part of the valve stem. After market rims can be not TPMS compatible due to a couple of reasons. The most common is there's no way to mount the sensor because of the valve stem design. What I've done on my 19's which have 90 degree valve stems is gone to iforged.com and get the 90 degree stems with a loop on the inside where the stock TPMS valve stem goes through and is mounted on the inside of the rim. Works like a charm. It's possible the noncompatible rims don't have that option (rim shape, valve stem options, etc). But overall, if there is a way to mount the sensor inside the wheel, it should be able to make a signal to the car. There's even some straps that they make that you can put inside the wheel that the sensor attaches to if you can't put them in the valve stem, but I'd imagine those are only good up to a certain speed before they break loose.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:30 PM
BigBlue

^ Thanks for the good and interesting info.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:49 AM
neal@tirerack
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Per my TPMS guy here,

Its likely a cracked sensor.
At highway speeds the spinning force on the sensor opens the crack and causes a fault. Once down to slower speeds, the crack is closed up and the sensor functions properly.

If the wheel isn’t 100% compatible, the valve angle may have contributed to the sensor being cracked. If the sensor is touching the wheel barrel after its torque, its likely not a good fitment.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Z-Crazy

Originally Posted by neal@tirerack
Per my TPMS guy here,

Its likely a cracked sensor.
At highway speeds the spinning force on the sensor opens the crack and causes a fault. Once down to slower speeds, the crack is closed up and the sensor functions properly.

If the wheel isn’t 100% compatible, the valve angle may have contributed to the sensor being cracked. If the sensor is touching the wheel barrel after its torque, its likely not a good fitment.
Thanks man. Hope its not cracked but the light goes off after few minutes even while maintaining highway speeds

Last edited by Z-Crazy; 07-19-2013 at 04:49 PM.