Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

2003 350Z Tire Growl/Feathering Solution???

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013 | 03:39 PM
Kirk's_Z

Default 2003 350Z Tire Growl/Feathering Solution???

So I've been looking through the TONS of posts over the past two days on this subject and I really don't have a firm answer of what to do to fix the tire growl/feathering on my 350Z.

I am the original owner of my Z and it has 112k miles on it now. I've known all about the tire growl issue since say 2005. My dealer gave me two sets of new front tires back in the day, but of course that is no longer and option. I never really had the issue until the car hit about 60k to 70k miles. I've read about replacing bushings, turning my directional tires on the rims to get more wear, using new specs for the alignment, etc. I'm not looking for a temp fix for this, I'm looking for a permanent solution so I can keep my car for several years. Can anyone provide a firm solution? If I can an answer in the next day or two, I'm going to have the car fixed over the weekend so I can keep it as I love driving it. I would definitely appreciate some guidance please.
Old 09-26-2013 | 05:17 PM
ReelBigAndy

Pretty sure feathering and growl on the z is just an alignment-toe issue. Have it done at a good shop and check the spec sheet yourself. Do you have stock suspension/wheels/tire sizes?
Old 09-27-2013 | 03:06 PM
Spike100

Maintain the alignment on your 350z and you won't have a problem. Your Nissan dealership can do this for you. I have a 2003 Performance model and the problem was corrected years ago by correct alignment. --Spike
Old 09-27-2013 | 05:55 PM
Kirk's_Z

Everything is stock on my Z. The tire growl and feathering has been an issue with the 2003 and was fixed in the 2004 model. I put new tires on the car about 40k miles ago and had a front and rear wheel alignment done at that time. The growl and feathering started at about 60 or 70k miles when I had the old set on. I put the new tires on and had the alignment done and the growl continued. I checked the tires last week and they are feathering and wearing like crazy on the inside. I was at the dealership not long ago to buy some clips for the door panel (the window motor went out and I had to open the door up and replace it) and mentioned the tire issue to one of the guys at the repairs counter. He basically said I'm screwed as he knows about this issue. Not good to hear that from the dealership. There has to be a fix and I'm just hoping someone out there has a definitive answer.
Old 09-27-2013 | 06:40 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Kirk's_Z
Everything is stock on my Z. The tire growl and feathering has been an issue with the 2003 and was fixed in the 2004 model. I put new tires on the car about 40k miles ago and had a front and rear wheel alignment done at that time. The growl and feathering started at about 60 or 70k miles when I had the old set on. I put the new tires on and had the alignment done and the growl continued. I checked the tires last week and they are feathering and wearing like crazy on the inside. I was at the dealership not long ago to buy some clips for the door panel (the window motor went out and I had to open the door up and replace it) and mentioned the tire issue to one of the guys at the repairs counter. He basically said I'm screwed as he knows about this issue. Not good to hear that from the dealership. There has to be a fix and I'm just hoping someone out there has a definitive answer.
The cars do not hold alignment, even 08's have the problem as they fall out of alignment.
Old 09-28-2013 | 05:29 AM
Kirk's_Z

So sounds like it's unanimous that it is the alignment. Is it only the front alignment or is it both back and front that fall out of alignment quickly? Any suggestions on how often I should have the alignment checked? Every 10k, 20k 30k, etc. miles? Anything else I can do to help limit how often it falls out of alignment? Replace bushings or anything? I definitely appreciate the feedback from everyone.
Old 09-30-2013 | 05:13 PM
Spike100

Hi Kirk,

There is NO current problem with tire “feathering” on any year Z or any model Z if you maintain alignment.

As terrasmak mentions, 350Z owners claim the car tends to lose alignment. Of course that may be due to the way owners drive high performance cars, the owners’ experience with summer performance tires (they are noisy and can wear quickly), etc.

To answer your question simply: I check the front-end alignment every 12-16 months, and within a less interval if you suspect there might be a problem (e.g., uneven wear, “I hit a curb,” etc.).

--Spike
Old 10-01-2013 | 06:33 PM
Kirk's_Z

So I went to the dealership and had a front end alignment done. The front end alignment was off a bit and was corrected. The tires are still are making a loud wobbling noise as I had prior. I'm guessing it's due to the wear that was placed on the tires prior to this alignment.

Spike 100 - This is the first sports car I've ever owned, and maybe sports cars require alignment checks more frequently than regular vehicles, but this has been a problem with my car even prior to even this set of tires. I honestly don't drive this car that crazy as it is my daily driver and I have another vehicle I typically drive on weekends. I had a Toyota truck (obviously not a high performance vehicle) that I put 200k miles on and I can remember getting one alignment on that vehicle.
Old 10-03-2013 | 03:15 PM
Spike100

If you drive cautiously, you can expect your vehicle to hold its alignment. The Z’s suspension isn’t that different from an Altima. Actually, 4-wheel-drive vehicles are probably the most problematic when maintaining alignment.

With that said… I wonder if we don’t drive our Z’s a little differently than the “family sedan?”

Things that stress alignment:
1) Aggressive driving (fast speeds, hard turns, hard braking, etc.)… Even if it’s just a little bit more.
2) Summer Performance Tires (which grip securely, placing great pressure on suspension components)
3) Wide tires (any type that is 245 or greater) will push a car out of alignment more frequently than vehicles running tires with 215 or less width.

Owners hearing noisy tires might believe there is an uneven wear problem when it fact it is often a normal condition. It’s normal when summer performance tires run with a lot of noise. Tire noise is not synonymous with “feathering.”

The Nissan 350/370 Z has no problem with tire “feathering.”

--Spike

So I went to the dealership and had a front end alignment done. The front end alignment was off a bit and was corrected. The tires are still are making a loud wobbling noise as I had prior. I'm guessing it's due to the wear that was placed on the tires prior to this alignment.

Spike 100 - This is the first sports car I've ever owned, and maybe sports cars require alignment checks more frequently than regular vehicles, but this has been a problem with my car even prior to even this set of tires. I honestly don't drive this car that crazy as it is my daily driver and I have another vehicle I typically drive on weekends. I had a Toyota truck (obviously not a high performance vehicle) that I put 200k miles on and I can remember getting one alignment on that vehicle.
Old 10-04-2013 | 01:58 AM
Kirk's_Z

Spike 100 - You're crazy dude. I have plenty of buddies who have sports cars that don't have alignment issues anything close to the issues 350Zs have had. You must own stock in Nissan or something. I'm done with this post and your crazy ***.
Old 10-04-2013 | 02:39 AM
l2iceman

Isn't there a chain of alignment/tire shops in the US which offer lifetime alignment? I'm sure I've read on here somewhere of someone who had this. Anyway, if so you can always go back once a year to ensure specs are good.
Old 10-04-2013 | 05:11 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Spike 100 - You're crazy dude. I have plenty of buddies who have sports cars that don't have alignment issues anything close to the issues 350Zs have had. You must own stock in Nissan or something. I'm done with this post and your crazy ***.
Partially sports car thing, and a lot to do with Nissans crappy front suspension design. The compression arm bushing wears and alignment always goes to chit.