Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Car has wrong tires.. what should I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 10:56 PM
mileskb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car has wrong tires.. what should I expect?

Hi All,
New owner here. We're getting some snow tomorrow... maybe... so I thought I would at least see what tires are on the car. I know it's going to be a challenge, just wanted to gauge/guess how much.

Well to my surprise it has TOYO Proxes4 245-45ZR17 99W M+S Tires front and rear. Forget snow, but how bad is this? Am I at risk of damage to anything? According to TireRack it's supposed to have 225/50-17 up front and 235/50-17 on rear. Is this correct? Will the "correct" tires even fit on the current rims?

Open to advise and suggestions. Haven't even signed the papers yet so I want to know what I'm getting into here if I can get correct tires onto these rims even? By correct, I don't necessarily mean OEM, just something that's not going to kill my MPG's and/or break the suspension.

Thanks in advance.

Miles

Last edited by mileskb; 02-21-2014 at 11:00 PM. Reason: subscribe
Old 02-21-2014, 11:02 PM
mcubed45

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

what size rims are they? the tires could very well be appropriate for that specific setup. especially if they're non-staggered rims.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:08 PM
mileskb

I was hoping the size rim could be reverse engineered from the tire spec. I have no idea. Not even sure how to measure.

Can you tell from these pictures ?

Apologies for the "branded" photos, but I haven't had a chance to take any pics of it myself and this is off the dealers site.

Thanks in advance.
Miles

Last edited by mileskb; 02-21-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:15 PM
superlim9

Received 194 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by mileskb
Hi All,
New owner here. We're getting some snow tomorrow... maybe... so I thought I would at least see what tires are on the car. I know it's going to be a challenge, just wanted to gauge/guess how much.

Well to my surprise it has TOYO Proxes4 245-45ZR17 99W M+S Tires front and rear. Forget snow, but how bad is this? Am I at risk of damage to anything? According to TireRack it's supposed to have 225/50-17 up front and 235/50-17 on rear. Is this correct? Will the "correct" tires even fit on the current rims?

Open to advise and suggestions. Haven't even signed the papers yet so I want to know what I'm getting into here if I can get correct tires onto these rims even? By correct, I don't necessarily mean OEM, just something that's not going to kill my MPG's and/or break the suspension.

Thanks in advance.

Miles
For the stock 17 wheels the 245/45 is the widest for the front that matched diameter and a 255/45 would be the widest for the back. Each of these are the widest you should go for the 7.5" and 8" wheel. But if you've got 17's you may only have traction control if that.. so no, it wont cause any affects other than showing your going faster than you are by 2 mph. to correct it just get a set of 255/45 for the back.

you can use this tire comparison tool.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

and FYI, their pricing is BS. special price of 12k... lol... that's higher than blue book so its not a deal... especially seen as its been modified... at least a stereo and tail lights but who knows what else underneath or if the stereo was done right. KBB retial value for it 11500. Mkae sure you get the carfax and go from there.

If you get it check out our car group for the PNW

https://www.facebook.com/groups/149835368420929/

Last edited by superlim9; 02-21-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:37 PM
mileskb

I'm not sure I exactly understand so let me play it back...

If these are the stock rims, than I should replace the rear tires with 255/45's ?

Do the rims look stock? I was thinking because the tires are the same all around, the rear ones wouldn't fit on a stock rim.

If I can just get two rear tires and put them on the current rims, that would be cool as all these tires are like new, and I'd have a spare set of front tires out of it I guess.

edit....
This is getting complicated. I don't really want to mix'n match brands, but TOYO doesn't seem to make a 255/45 17

Last edited by mileskb; 02-21-2014 at 11:41 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-21-2014, 11:39 PM
superlim9

I'm not sure I exactly understand so let me play it back...

If these are the stock rims, than I should replace the rear tires with 255/45's ?

Do the rims look stock? I was thinking because the tires are the same all around, the rear ones wouldn't fit on a stock rim.

If I can just get two rear tires and put them on the current rims, that would be cool as all these tires are like new, and I'd have a spare set of front tires out of it I guess.
Those are the stock wheels. It wont hurt you to drive on those tires till they need replacing anyways. you cant rotate them as the rims in the back are different size and offset from the front. When you get new tires in the back you can get 255/45
Old 02-22-2014, 02:01 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow mike and mcubed umm..... When a tire size says 245 55 17 even an idiot would put together 17 is the radius of the Rim. Also if you open the drivers door on the inside of it is information regarding tire size and air pressure.

Please take time to read up on this Platform and I really hope this is the last stupid thread you create
Old 02-22-2014, 08:40 AM
mcubed45

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
Wow mike and mcubed umm..... When a tire size says 245 55 17 even an idiot would put together 17 is the radius of the Rim. Also if you open the drivers door on the inside of it is information regarding tire size and air pressure.

Please take time to read up on this Platform and I really hope this is the last stupid thread you create
hey idiot, rims have a width as well. OP didn't specify if they were the stock rims so we have no way of knowing what width the rims are and whether the tires are appropriate.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:47 AM
CJM

Received 88 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mcubed45
hey idiot, rims have a width as well. OP didn't specify if they were the stock rims so we have no way of knowing what width the rims are and whether the tires are appropriate.
He posted a picture of the wheels...
Old 02-22-2014, 08:52 AM
mcubed45

Originally Posted by CJM
He posted a picture of the wheels...
not in his initial post. hence why i asked for the rim size.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:03 AM
radiocrash

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

once you fix the tire issue you should get rid of those taillights too
Old 02-22-2014, 11:59 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The taillights grabbed my attention. Please get rid of them if you get that car.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:48 PM
mileskb

mcubed45 and superlim9 thanks for the info and quick responses.

Also you were spot on about the speedo and gauge now reading 3 mph (checked with GPS today) faster than I'm actually going. In the plus side, it was freezing snowy rain and it handled fine.

Not knowing much about modern suspensions and seeing all references to tires for this ride showing 225's in the front and 235's in the rear I got a little worried when I saw it had four of the same size tires on it and they only have a few miles on them. I figured if I need to change something, it better be now.

While I'm thinking of it, and this may actually be a stupid question.. but here goes.. As I am already wider (245 vs 235) on the rear, and (245 vs 225) on the front, wouldn't it be better or at least equal to go with a 235/45 on the front ? This would put me close to the stock scenario with front and rear both being an equal 10mm wider than stock. The additional reason for asking this is that TOYO doesn't appear to make the 255/45 that you recommended in a 17 but they do make a 235/45 in a 17.

Unless you see anything to blow big holes in this logic, I think switching the front makes more sense. I'm not an aggressive drive (well sometimes) but so you know who you are talking to, the first Z car I drove was a friends 240... when it was still pretty new..
Old 02-22-2014, 05:58 PM
superlim9

mcubed45 and superlim9 thanks for the info and quick responses.

Also you were spot on about the speedo and gauge now reading 3 mph (checked with GPS today) faster than I'm actually going. In the plus side, it was freezing snowy rain and it handled fine.

Not knowing much about modern suspensions and seeing all references to tires for this ride showing 225's in the front and 235's in the rear I got a little worried when I saw it had four of the same size tires on it and they only have a few miles on them. I figured if I need to change something, it better be now.

While I'm thinking of it, and this may actually be a stupid question.. but here goes.. As I am already wider (245 vs 235) on the rear, and (245 vs 225) on the front, wouldn't it be better or at least equal to go with a 235/45 on the front ? This would put me close to the stock scenario with front and rear both being an equal 10mm wider than stock. The additional reason for asking this is that TOYO doesn't appear to make the 255/45 that you recommended in a 17 but they do make a 235/45 in a 17.

Unless you see anything to blow big holes in this logic, I think switching the front makes more sense. I'm not an aggressive drive (well sometimes) but so you know who you are talking to, the first Z car I drove was a friends 240... when it was still pretty new..

You can use the tire size comparison site I sent you the link to answer your questions. I would not do that as its over 2% smaller than the original size.

I would just keep it as is until those wear out and then get a tire that has 245 and 255...

There's plenty of threads for advice on wheels and tires on here.. so just give them a look.

And like I said look at our FB group for The PNW and come to a few meets and you'll get some good ideas of what you can do
Old 02-22-2014, 06:50 PM
mileskb

Originally Posted by Jah70
The taillights grabbed my attention. Please get rid of them if you get that car.
Could you (or anyone as more than one made the comment) explain what you mean by this.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:53 PM
mileskb

Originally Posted by superlim9
You can use the tire size comparison site I sent you the link to answer your questions. I would not do that as its over 2% smaller than the original size.

I would just keep it as is until those wear out and then get a tire that has 245 and 255...

There's plenty of threads for advice on wheels and tires on here.. so just give them a look.

And like I said look at our FB group for The PNW and come to a few meets and you'll get some good ideas of what you can do
Yes after playing with the calc for awhile I see your point. I'll just wait until they wear out and then get four new tires. It would be great if I could get the 255/45... but as I mentioned... TOYO doesn't make one and I don't want to mix'n match brands... So... as you suggest... I'll just wait.

Thanks for the tip on PNW group for Facebook.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:10 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,309 Likes on 909 Posts

Could you (or anyone as more than one made the comment) explain what you mean by this.
Your Z is pictured with some cheap chrome aftermarket altezza taillights. Most on this board (including me) don't like them at all, but it's your car.

As for the tires and snow, don't even think of taking your Z out if you can help it. It's less to do with the size and type of tire, than the 53/47 weight distribution on a RWD sportscar. Unless you're running dedicated snow tires in the white stuff, it's just asking for trouble IMO.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:33 PM
DrummerGirl

I'm curious, do you plan on modifying your car in the future, or are you going leave it pretty stock? If you're leaving it stock I say yeah, just replace the tires when you can. However, if you plan on modifying you might want to look into saving to getting some bigger rims in the future.

Not too many people keep 17 inch wheels on their cars unless they're staying stock or tracking the car. Most people will agree 18's or 19's look really nice on the Z so I'd suggest doing that at the same time if you plan on modifying it a bit. Anyways, goodluck with your Z. There's plenty of sources on here so make sure you take advantage of all the knowledge that's been put out there for you! And since you're new I'll say it before you get flamed. Before you have a question make sure you always SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH. lol (people love to flame others if they don't use the search function)
Old 02-22-2014, 08:59 PM
mileskb

Originally Posted by dkmura
Your Z is pictured with some cheap chrome aftermarket altezza taillights. Most on this board (including me) don't like them at all, but it's your car.
I thought they were stock. I'll have to look around. Any suggestions?

Originally Posted by dkmura
As for the tires and snow, don't even think of taking your Z out if you can help it. It's less to do with the size and type of tire, than the 53/47 weight distribution on a RWD sportscar. Unless you're running dedicated snow tires in the white stuff, it's just asking for trouble IMO.
LOL... pretty much agree... sorta. I used to own a Conquest TSI.. If there was snow, I could let out the clutch without touching the gas and the back end would let go and I looked like dog chasing it's tail. The "sorta" comment is because I grew up in the North East.. For me, FRONT wheel drive is one them new fandangled inventions. I had my licence for several years before I saw one, and they weren't very popular yet. No need to be foolish I know, but frankly I'm more worried about bottoming out and that's my measure for driving in snow.

Interesting (to me) side note.. I had a 240sx that was amazing in the snow. I'd be passing all these 4WD's and such that were in ditches along the highway and that thing would go like it was a cat. Never quite figured out why.

Originally Posted by DrummerGirl
do you plan on modifying your car in the future, or are you going leave it pretty stock? ........ Not too many people keep 17 inch wheels on their cars unless they're staying stock or tracking the car. Most people will agree 18's or 19's look really nice on the Z so I'd suggest doing that at the same time if you plan on modifying it a bit.
I don't plan on any performance mods. I commute about 30 minutes each way for work and it's pretty much a straight line. I will likely keep my eye out for rims if I can find a bargain, but frankly what other people see isn't really a concern to me. The view, performance, and feel from the drivers seat is really all I'm interested in. Kinda wanna keep the MPG's in 20's too.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:02 PM
CJM

Received 88 Likes on 44 Posts

Suggestion for taillights: 2006+ OEM tails are everyone's favorite

Quick Reply: Car has wrong tires.. what should I expect?