Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

My new autoX wheels and tires installed. Yet another option.... (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 03:55 PM
D_Nyholm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new autoX wheels and tires installed. Yet another option.... (PICS)

I recently purchased a set of MB Motorsport Competition wheels (17x9) and Nitto 555RII in 275-40-17 for autocross duties (from www.discounttiredirect.com. These are my first R-compound tires that I am going to use. Though I am not totally crazy about the design, they fit my needs very well (at least an 8" wide wheel, lightweight (20 lbs.), cheap at $187 each, and gunmetal color). Here are some pics for your thoughts. Sorry that they came out kind of dark, it was getting late and the sun was off to the left behind the car. You'll get the idea though:

The car looks really funny going from the 18" Infiniti wheels to these wheels. There is no clearance problems with the brembos (they actually clear better than the stock 18"s), there is also no rubbing whatsoever with the 275 size tire up front. There is a lot of room in the wheel well of this car!!! The offset of these wheels is +27 so you get an idea. They don't stick out the sides at all, they actually fill out the wheel wells perfectly compared to the stock wheels that are a little inset in the wheel wells.

Let me know what you think. I'll be sure to post after my first autocross with these new wheels/tires and the Hotchkis sway bars up there.

On a side note, I checked the pads and they seem to have A LOT of material left on them. I have a little over 18K miles on the car, and there was at least 3/8 of an inch of material left on them. I have to get my Hawk pads on there sometime since I can't stand all the dust, but that will still have to wait until it is a little warmer out (hopefully this weekend if nothing comes up!!).
Old 07-26-2004, 08:54 AM
lacartus

Any updates?
Old 07-27-2004, 12:27 PM
D_Nyholm

Sorry about no updates. I took the car to an autocross school a few weeks back and I think I had some major pressure adjustments to make before I take it out to my next autocross (fortunately, or unfortunately, we just bought a house so there is major work being done and not much time for anything else!!!). I had some pretty bad understeer while with the stock setup (Pilot sports) I could easily bring the car into an oversteer situation if I needed to. The rears were just impossible to get to break free regardless of what I did.

Hopefully I will be able to make it to another autocross and get some better results.

Just to be sure though, these tires stick like glue compared to the stock pilots. I would assume similar to the Kumho's, but I do not have any experience on them....
Old 07-27-2004, 04:31 PM
jun14scr

they ook good. kinda look like knock off ssr comps.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:22 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by jun14scr
they ook good. kinda look like knock off ssr comps.
ssr comps are 6 spoke
Old 07-27-2004, 10:54 PM
OgreDave

They look like Gram Light knockoffs .. and 20lbs really isn't that light, but its decent for the width. The price is definitely right
Old 07-28-2004, 05:39 AM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by OgreDave
They look like Gram Light knockoffs .. and 20lbs really isn't that light, but its decent for the width. The price is definitely right
I agree. I like mine too!
Old 07-29-2004, 08:46 AM
Todd@ProDyno

weve sold a lot of this combo to 350/g35 owners. Most have given excellent feedback. Takes a while getting used to all that grip though...changes your driving style significantly. Best of luck with it!