Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Anyone dealt with Spy Engineering?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 02:42 PM
Rob Nance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone dealt with Spy Engineering?

The guy seems cool, and they have good tire and wheel prices. I ordered some Axis Supermesh wheels and Toyo tires there last weekend, and they were supposed to ship Tuesday, all was said to be in stock (specifically asked and checked to make sure, wanted them for this weekend). Then it got bumped to Thursday because of a shortage on 275/35/19s. Now it's bumped to Friday...supposedly. I am naturally untrusting of online resellers, computers, cars, you name it. He's probably being honest about the problems, just curious what others have experienced. My instinct says he was just trying to get me to commit, and then now he is buying time.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:03 PM
protocav

they are right up the street from me. they put my toyo's on my IForged wheels. i was mostly concerned about them not scratching my lips. they gave me the best price, and did a fantastic job on my wheels. i did talk to him regarding axis wheels...he said that unless you buy rediculous quantities, axis puts you on the back burner.

i assume you spoke with dominic? he is a good guy, and i would have no doubts that he will deliver. i will be purchasing all of my tires from him.

Chad
Old 03-25-2004, 04:35 PM
Rob Nance

Derrick I believe it was. Good to hear some good response. I had no doubt they'd ship them, just as to whether he knew all along that the wheels would be holding up the shipment. It's just a part of ordering anything online, so I'm not really surprised either way.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:01 PM
HaNkYs_Z

Thumbs down

Derek? hahaha, this guy and all him buddies are @sshole, I bought my Axis supermesh from them back in Sep 2003, and it came in damaged, asked them to give me replacement and they said it is not their fault, so they said I will have to wait til UPS pay them the damage before I can get my replacement, at first he told me should be done in 2 weeks, NEVER hear from him again, so I finally filed and dispute against them a month later and call them tell them about it, they said they will send me to collection agent if I do that, and he also tell me that the claim is over, I should be getting mt replacement soon, I did not received my replacement until middle of the Dec. 2003, and this was after I finalized my dispute, and also I bought lock lugs from them along with my Supermesh, two days after I installed my wheels and the lock lugs, the lugs got rusted so bad, and I called them again and ask for replacement, and the said no warranty for the lugs, so I tell him to go to hell and hung up on him, I will never buy from this company again, so BEWARE WITH THIS COMPANY, they will rip you off in anyway. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM
Old 03-25-2004, 07:03 PM
HaNkYs_Z

Originally posted by Rob Nance
Derrick I believe it was. Good to hear some good response. I had no doubt they'd ship them, just as to whether he knew all along that the wheels would be holding up the shipment. It's just a part of ordering anything online, so I'm not really surprised either way.
he always said that, but tell you the truth, I dont think the wheels are even being process yet, ask him for the tracking #
Old 03-25-2004, 10:18 PM
protocav

ok then....

i meant derrick.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:53 PM
Rob Nance

Hmm, this concerns me that they are maybe just trying to sell damaged Axis wheels they are getting at a discount or something?

I have tracking numbers, and have been billed...so we'll see. They actually went out today.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:28 AM
protocav

i would imagine that the wheels were damaged during transit. i have seen this numerous times.

i wonder if i should claim the ups refund money on my taxes this year. it would be substantial.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:11 AM
erock

Rob,

How about sharing some specs w/ us.... I know when I called they told me that they did not have them in a +35 offset and that axis did not make them in a 114.3x5 pattern... BS..... They were trying to sell me the +40 and +45.....

Also, they said that their package comes w/ a 275/30 rear and they can't upgrade the tire for me cuz of liability issues.....

O and another thing is they quoted me 2200 w/ tires, when I emailed them back they told me 2500 w/ tires.....

I still love these rims, but I really don't want to deal w/ them..... The only plus for them tho is that they are local to me......

How much did you pay? what size tires? Offset?
Old 03-26-2004, 02:33 PM
ragtopz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my friend had so much problems with them. i thought he had bought his rims from rdm wheels, but it was spy engineering.

they refused to sell him the size of tire he wanted because they said that for liability reasons they wouldnt mount it. by the way, the tire they refused to mount was a 275/35/19 on a 19 x 9.5 rim. they said that they would only mount a 275/30/19 on his rim. i dont want to get into that stuff again, but then, it took them over a month to send it. after he paid for rush shipping.

THEN after he called them, they said that they hadnt shipped it, but since it was still in their shop that they would mount the 35's for him instead. after a month, THE TIRES WERENT EVEN MOUNTED!! how is that for rush shipping?

then they only sent two rims and tires. a front left and a rear right or something like that. (i joked and told him to just put on those two for the time being.. he wasnt amused.) then finally they sent the other two. then some parts were missing, but he was charged for them. he called them up and said that he didnt need them anyways.

i dont know. they seem like a bunch of idiots that will just sell things to get rid of the item, even if they know the item is defective.

OH, and one of his axis rims has splotchy paint, another one has runs in the paint. anyways, i will never do business with them.

STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!
Old 03-26-2004, 02:39 PM
protocav

i guess my good experience was only due to the fact that i was standing in their shop watching them.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:56 PM
HaNkYs_Z

Originally posted by protocav
ok then....

i meant derrick.
I think there is only one Derrick/Derek work in Spy and his the owner of the Spy and last time when he sent me the email with the tracking # he had his name spell it Derek in the email
Old 03-26-2004, 08:02 PM
HaNkYs_Z

anyways, this is not my point, the point is that they are not being honest and not treating customers the way they should treat them, so they should not DESERVES any business from us, PERIOD.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:03 PM
D@ActiveTuning

I ordered wheels from them too...they told me all kinds of stories...in the end they didn't even have the wheels...their price was falsly advertised, and axis had discontinued the wheel. Cancelled my order right away.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:13 AM
Rob Nance

Well, they had originally told me they'd go out Tuesday, and they ended up going out Friday. They are on there way from CA to TX now. All 4 should be here by Wednesday. There was never an issue with the 275/35/19, why would there be? If there were any liability issues I'd think it'd be with putting a lowe profile tire on there, right? He had asked if I wanted the 35 or 30, and that was the end of the discussion basically.

They are going to be 40 and 45 offset. Where did you read that you can get them in our bolt pattern at a different offset? I know Axis offers them at 30 and 35 offsets, but they are for a different bolt pattern from all I heard. I don't really care what the offsets are, because all of the pics I have seen of them on Z's, they look great. Search on google for "axis supermesh 350z" and the first thing that comes up is a cardomain page with a daytona blue with them. That and the two pics floating around here of a silver Z at what looks to be a racetrack parking lot, with them, looks great.

I will have pics up Wednesday the second they are on the car.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:37 AM
HaNkYs_Z

that's my DB Z with the supermesh
Old 04-16-2004, 06:05 PM
fresno350

rob did you ever get your tires
Old 04-16-2004, 11:07 PM
Rob Nance

Yep, I got them the like a day or two after this post I think. It took a week and a half after ordering on a Saturday to get them on a Wednesday.

They were packaged well, looked great, and no problems. I'm as happy as can be with them.