Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whoa! Careful with that TCS turned off!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 09:22 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Whoa! Careful with that TCS turned off!

I was getting kind of tired of having the traction control cut power on me when enjoying some - um - "spirited" acceleration (it's hard to resist sometimes!) so I have started driving with it turned off. The car feels a lot faster, for example if you drop into 2nd a kick it, the car just takes off with a chirp (or a squeal) instead of lurching, bogging, then accelerating again.

So with the switch turned off (and that damn orange light on in the IP), coming out of a turn in 2nd gear I pushed it a little. Whooo--eeee! Man, the back end came around in a nice power slide -- very controllable, but it sure quickened my pulse! The strange thing is, it didn't squeal, but it sure did lose traction.

I sure wish I could turn TCS off to allow a bit of wheelspin in acceleration, but still keep the VDC on to apply a bit of inside brake to prevent spin-outs. Maybe there will be a mod to allow this in the future?

So be careful out there with that TCS/VDC switch turned off, kids! (Of course this is my first really powerful RWD car, so I am still doing a bit of learning.)

Fun! Fun! Fun!
Old 09-12-2002, 10:12 PM
zPilott

I came really close to sliding the *** out into a volvo coming the other way with the TCS and a little bit of a heavy foot. Would have been fun if there was no one coming the other way, but as it was it was kinda scary.
Old 09-13-2002, 04:11 AM
Phi-1002-

I don't have my car yet but I'm getting the impression that the VLSD isn't very effective. Is this true? I have driven more powerful cars than the 350Z w/ Zexel Torsen diffs and they were very effective at providing straight line acceleration under heavy power.

Does the car tend to fishtail under hard straight-line acceleration without BLSD in cooperation w/ the VLSD?
Old 09-13-2002, 05:42 AM
mbeguy

Base model here.....

No idea what TCS and LSD feel like in a Z since mine does not have it.....BUT

I do know what it is like to chirp 1st, 2nd, and oh yes...3rd.

It is also way way way too much fun to drift the rear in a power acceleration turn in 2nd.

Dont have LSD or TCS...don't want LSD or TCS..I AM having fun.

Later,

MBEGuy
Old 09-13-2002, 08:31 AM
zPilott

I did a 4500 rpm launch and immediately the rear end slid to the right (downhill, the parking lot wasn't level), but the car quickly came back straight. I thought that this was due to the action of the diff...... was it?
Old 09-13-2002, 08:52 AM
Phi-1002-

That would be a function of the viscous LSD as well as the brake LSD, which is part of the electronic stability control system.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:38 AM
madmonkey

Originally posted by Phi-1002-
I don't have my car yet but I'm getting the impression that the VLSD isn't very effective. Is this true? I have driven more powerful cars than the 350Z w/ Zexel Torsen diffs and they were very effective at providing straight line acceleration under heavy power.
The Zexel Torsen diff is a completely other beast than any limited slip differential. Not to sure now on the exact workings of it, but through gearing it actually magnifies the torque to the wheels with better traction, by 5x i think.
The problem is that it is not very well suited to high HP cars due to mechanical limitations. Should be able to handle 287 horse though. Too bad the makers of the zexel torsen dont often do aftermaket
Old 09-13-2002, 10:48 AM
roberto350z

LSD will cause both wheels to spin instead of one. So there you go...If youre taking a turn and you give the throttle too much, then both wheels will spin and you lose traction real quick. Sometimes without an LSD, you gain stability be having that outside wheel retain traction.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:00 AM
Flyingscot

I bet you'll see helical or clutch-type performance LSDs in the near future from companies like Nismo and Quaife. Both are far superior over the viscous LSD. Also, I wonder if Nismo, Nissan or aftermarket company such as JWT will offer a performance programmed TCS, Stability control program. Afterall, all it is is software.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:09 AM
jhchan

Here's a question for everyone. How much more effective do you think the VDC is over TCS alone? I am deciding between performance and enthsiast models and don't know if the extra $2k is worth it esp since I don't like the stock 18" rims... Thanks for opinions.

- JC -
Old 09-13-2002, 12:16 PM
350zfreak

I agree with Z350Z, The C5 corvette has a "Competitive Driving" mode that enables the "Active Handling (our VDC)" but disables the "Traction Control (TCS)" You activate it by holding down the button when the car is running but not in motion. I tried this with my Z and no luck. Guess I'll have to improve my 4-wheel drift driving techniques.

Later
Old 09-13-2002, 02:36 PM
roberto350z

i would say that the VDC is an amazing system and has much more use that a seemingly primitive TCS system that really has no use unless you live in the snow and rain and you will tend to do drop clutch accelerations.

I think that it is worth the VDC, somehting that until now has only been available on more expensive cars (AFAIK). It is "neat" IMO and I would buy it if I had the $$$ just for ***** and grins and of course since I have been spun around on several occasions with my 280z.

On the other hand, the VDC has more "stuff" to go bad, break and/or have to work around when replacing things. Also, you are paying alot for this system if you dont even like the 18" rim.

Additionally, now that I know you have one switch for both systems...well that sucks.
Old 09-13-2002, 03:23 PM
Thunderbolt
Charter Member #88

Go to the address below and you can see a cutaway
of the torsen.

We used one in our race car a few years back and it lasted throught two years before we switched to a locker. Our engine produced @370hp and about the same amount of torque and the torsen handled it fine.

We were required to use a open rear end in our class. With the torsen the wheels rotate in different directions just like a open rear when both wheels are off the ground. the tech inspectors neve knew

http://www.torsen.com/fsae/fsaefaqframes.htm
Old 09-16-2002, 10:17 AM
Phi-1002-

Thanks Thunderbolt.

My T/A was making about that amount of hp. It dyno'ed 315 rwhp @, I believe, 5800 rpm. So, about 370 fly wheel hp w/ 15% DT loss. I put about 20,000 street miles on it w/ no problems. It was an excellent traction device for real world use.
Old 09-16-2002, 10:48 AM
jhchan

Thanks rpgonzalez.

I am more worried about handling in the wet. Another worry is this will be my first RWD car and I have yet to experience any type of spin or rear end step out...

I guess I'll have to really pinch some pennies and get the VDC.

So there is 1 switch to trun off both systems huh?

- JC -