Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Bought a Magellan 1700 GPS 7 inch screen fits in Cubby

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:07 AM
cpatel529

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished my install this weekend.

-Took out OEM Navigation screen (replaced with magellan 1700). Love the touch screen!
-Replaced OEM HU with Pioneer AVH-3200BT.

Took some pics of my install and will post a thread on how I did the magellan install today or tomm.

Attached is pic of finished project and the GPS mounting brackets that I had to make out of aluminum strips.
Attached Thumbnails Bought a Magellan 1700 GPS 7 inch screen fits in Cubby-photo-11-.jpg   Bought a Magellan 1700 GPS 7 inch screen fits in Cubby-photo-12-.jpg  
Old 04-04-2011, 09:22 AM
06blueZ

Nice job, that looks great. Nice brackets too. You should hook up this backup camera with the 1700, very easy and works perfectly.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:38 AM
cpatel529

Originally Posted by 06blueZ
Nice job, that looks great. Nice brackets too. You should hook up this backup camera with the 1700, very easy and works perfectly.
That backup camera looks awesome! Definitely may have to look into getting this and installing (I hate taking apart the center console though) while my car is still somewhat apart. I saw that you used the 06 Navi cubby but didnt have the OEM Nav controller. Did you build the cover that you are using? I would love to make something like that. Have some carbon fiber laying around that could be used.

Chirag
Old 04-04-2011, 10:21 AM
06blueZ

Yes, the cover is a bent and shaped piece of aluminum I made. I painted it flat black, but had problems with fingerprints, so I covered it in a piece of black leather. works great.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:33 PM
blackdynamite33

good ****. about to do this mod soon

Last edited by blackdynamite33; 08-04-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:00 AM
Kooshie

A little confused because the examples I have seen have been done with the 06 cubby.

Will this fit into an 03 cubby from behind with the power cord hidden behind the console so that I can close the cubby without having to physically move the unit?

Also, the unit will power on and off with the car correct, so there will not be any needed input from the user? Thank you for answering these questions
Old 11-17-2011, 05:37 AM
big_dish

Originally Posted by Kooshie
A little confused because the examples I have seen have been done with the 06 cubby.

Will this fit into an 03 cubby from behind with the power cord hidden behind the console so that I can close the cubby without having to physically move the unit?

Also, the unit will power on and off with the car correct, so there will not be any needed input from the user? Thank you for answering these questions
I'm a brand new owner and havent done this yet, but I have been researching the hell out of every mod I want to do and can tell you there is a thread on here that will answer YES to both of your questions. I think it is titled "my $100 like OEM navigation" or something like that.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

This will fit a 2003 Z. Actually it will be more easily installed. You must remove the center dash. Then remove the pocket from the rear of cubby. It’s held in place by a few screws. The Magellan goes into the position where you removed the rear pocket. You need to devise some type of retention strap to hold the Magellan in place. You may be able to use the same screws that you removed to detach the rear cubby pocket.

You can wire the Megellan to the car’s 12v power so that it doesn’t run on battery power. If there is an inline fuse, keep that in place for an extra measure of safety. If the Megellan has a power adapter use that by connecting to a power socket you buy. You need to keep the adapter since it might change the voltage from 12v to something else.

Of course wire the Megellan to an ignition switched power source to prevent draining your battery.

Adding a remote physical switch makes it simple to toggle the device ON/OFF. The center console behind your shift is a convenient place to mount a switch.

--Spike
Old 11-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Atl_Adam

Just installed the Magellan 1700 on my '03 and it looks amazing! Such a good investment for the money!
Old 11-30-2011, 04:59 PM
woodychai

Just finish install this on my 2004 touring, it was a PITA, have to do alot of mod to the lid and pocket. But otherwise it wasn't bad looking. Will post picture later.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Ish99

Originally Posted by dcains
Here you go. I didn't use the 7", though, just a 4.3" screen (Garmin 260W), which I can easily pop out and use in my other cars:

What double din radio is that Dcains??

Does anyone have anything bad to say about the 1700? I just bought a Z and was interested in doing this but read some good and bad reviews about the Magellan unit. I currently use my Iphone for gps and I'm looking for something cleaner, less wires, but also something that allows the gps to be heard through my sound sytem over the music. Is there a way to do it with this setup?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Kooshie

Just finished sanding mine down and finally got it to fit snug into the cubby. Tomorrow i'll be on my way to home depot to pick up brackets and epoxy.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the adapter I need to use with the power cable provided? I looked on the walmart website as suggested and could not seem to find it.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2011, 07:49 AM
Spike100

Here you go...

http://12voltworld.com.au/index.php?...f5f0eaf59212fb

--Spike

...Can anyone point me in the direction of the adapter I need to use with the power cable provided? I looked on the walmart website as suggested and could not seem to find it.

Thanks
Old 12-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Ish99

Went ahead and did this last week and its a great mod. First pic is how i got the car, second is it with the Pioneer AVH4300 and last is it all lit up.
Attached Thumbnails Bought a Magellan 1700 GPS 7 inch screen fits in Cubby-dscn1109.jpg   Bought a Magellan 1700 GPS 7 inch screen fits in Cubby-dscn1113.jpg   Bought a Magellan 1700 GPS 7 inch screen fits in Cubby-dscn1114.jpg  
Old 12-22-2011, 07:00 PM
goracerx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cpatel529

-Took out OEM Navigation screen (replaced with magellan 1700). Love the touch screen!

Took some pics of my install and will post a thread on how I did the magellan install today or tomm.

Attached is pic of finished project and the GPS mounting brackets that I had to make out of aluminum strips.
Oh, this is exactly what i've been searching for. Where did you get the factory nav console? Please give me link to your write up. thanks
Old 01-04-2012, 11:09 AM
goracerx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone done this in a roadster? I can't sync my BT earbud and it's difficult to hear. Since I can't connect it to the stereo it has to be off. I got the rear camera to but now i'm thinking of selling it.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:43 PM
HockeyZ39

Originally Posted by Mike's Z
Here are some pictures of how I installed the 1700 into my 2003's cubby:

The GPS mounted with the screen protector still on to - mum - protect the screen.

Another view of the GPS.
Is it not possible to mount the 1700 a bit higher to hide the Magellan branding?

If not is the screen large enough to remove the trim and mount just the screen / device internals?

The Farenheit trim doesn't show at all, and looks basically stock, wanting to put a touch screen GPS in its place but keep the stock aesthetics .

Last edited by HockeyZ39; 01-05-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:48 AM
dmorrow

I have read through this entire thread, I'm loving this. Really interested in going through with this.
I personally am on Garmin's side and am guessing that a typical 7" screen GPS will fit?
I have the cubby on my 2003 touring with bose / no nav. And I know a lot has been said, but I'm hoping someone will just be cool and answer in one post my questions here.

1. Will any regular 7" gps work in the 03 cubby?
2. I want my lid to slide back into the cubby and still be functional, is that possible without cutting the cubby pieces? if not, whats the install directions.
3. I'm also liking the reverse camera, What gps will recognize it easy AND how do you wire it in?
4. How would I wire in the GPS to stay charged, or would it be easy to just run the charger cord down the back and to some 4 plug in adapter or what?

Thanks guys, hopefully no one will jump on my case. I'm sure there has been answers to some/all of these. But I'm looking for it just to be organized into one post. I did read this whole post but just wanting it put simple to me in the exact questions I'm asking.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Spike100

The 2003 upper/forward cubby is the easiest model to install a 7” monitor or GPS. Installing a 7” monitor does not require any cutting since the 2003’s upper/forward cubby screws apart.

Here is a thread that provides excellent instructions for mounting a 7” video screen.

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-build...tallation.html

Just about any 7” video monitor or GPS fits the 2003’s cubby, but the device is actually mounted behind the cubby, so it’s actually not easily removable (i.e., it’s a “permanent” mounting).

I also prefer Garmin, but I don’t believe they make a 7” screen. I’m using a Garmin GVN 52 that connects to a 7” monitor mounted in the cubby.

Here’s a thread that shows mounting a blackbox GPS with a remote screen.

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-build...uchscreen.html

Not every GPS supports a rear camera. Check the specifications for this feature.

--Spike

Originally Posted by dmorrow
I have read through this entire thread, I'm loving this. Really interested in going through with this.
I personally am on Garmin's side and am guessing that a typical 7" screen GPS will fit?
I have the cubby on my 2003 touring with bose / no nav. And I know a lot has been said, but I'm hoping someone will just be cool and answer in one post my questions here.

1. Will any regular 7" gps work in the 03 cubby?
2. I want my lid to slide back into the cubby and still be functional, is that possible without cutting the cubby pieces? if not, whats the install directions.
3. I'm also liking the reverse camera, What gps will recognize it easy AND how do you wire it in?
4. How would I wire in the GPS to stay charged, or would it be easy to just run the charger cord down the back and to some 4 plug in adapter or what?

Thanks guys, hopefully no one will jump on my case. I'm sure there has been answers to some/all of these. But I'm looking for it just to be organized into one post. I did read this whole post but just wanting it put simple to me in the exact questions I'm asking.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:40 PM
tazicon

Originally Posted by cpatel529

If you put in the Pioneer unit why didn't you just get the one with BT nav etc and save the cubby for something else? They are touch screen and if you get the right one it has voice and a 7" tilt screen as well. I didn't get voice but everything else built in (Touch screen BT NAV IPOD Pandora etc) and I still have my cubby. The cord for the Ipod I had run into the cubby so the Ipod can be concealed.

Also if you get the Kenwood model it comes with Garmin loaded into it. 7" screen etc.

Last edited by tazicon; 01-11-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Bought a Magellan 1700 GPS 7 inch screen fits in Cubby