Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Couple coilover install questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 12:25 PM
Koolsilver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Couple coilover install questions

So I just finished installing my OEM style zeal function v6 and have a couple of issues I'm hoping can be easily answered. My first issue during the install was mounting the rear shock. When mounting the shock to the knuckle I found that it was kind of crooked in that I could get the bolt in from one side but coming out the other side the bolt couldn't go through like it was angled up. I could not figure out why this was happening and my only idea was maybe the bushing is messed up, but this did happen on both sides of the car. My solution was instead of using the bolt that came with the coilovers I reused the OEM bolt since it is tapered at the beginning I was able to kind of force it through. Of course I'm not too happy with this solution and want to get it done the right way so any suggestions would be great.

My next issues are excess noise, I get a lot of squeaking and creaking from the rear which after research seems to be that I need to make a top gasket and a spacer for the knuckle bolt which I will try when I get a chance. My front is making a lot of noise as well but more of a clunking noise. Every time I go over some type of bump there is quite a loud clunking noise from the front almost as if I were bottoming out. Anybody have any ideas what this could be? As of now I have my height set to max so I'm barely lower than stock, I think I measure it to be something like .1" lower than stock. The rest of my suspension is stock on my 03 and I haven't found any torn bushings.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:52 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

The difficulty with the lower rear shock bolt is normal. If you don't see any tearing on the bushing, it's probably fine.

When you installed the rear spring, did you reuse the rubber spring perch at the bottom?

Any pics?

Also, double check the torque on all your wheels' lug nuts, they sometimes loosen up a bit after the initial tightening.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:24 PM
Chrismx5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you tighten down the top hat bolt on the front once the car has been put on the ground?
Old 04-13-2015, 09:35 PM
Koolsilver

Thanks for the response. I did reuse the rubber perch in the rear.

I tightened the hats while it was still jacked up, I'll check the top hat bolts again.

The pictures turned out huge so I don't want to embed them.

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/...92AEF41C43.jpg

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/...AF2CDCC763.jpg

Last edited by Koolsilver; 04-13-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:14 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Very common for that bushing , the suspension does not operate perfectly straight up and down, it's flexes during movement.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:26 PM
Koolsilver

So I rechecked everything and reinstalled the rear. While I was at it I also added a foam gasket to the top of the rear struts and check out the common bolt issue, which I found my struts have no gap between the bolt so I didn't have to anything about it. However, the rear is still squeaking a lot as well as a bit of clunking coming from both front and rear. The clunk may just be because of the stiffer springs that I'm not used to but the squeaking is very annoying. It's almost like a nail on chalkboard type of sound, any ideas?
Old 04-16-2015, 07:23 AM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

You may want to double check your spring preload. Most likely you are hearing the springs shift.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:32 PM
Koolsilver

I rechecked the rear spring preload yesterday. I think if anything I have too much preload so I don't think that's the case. I was driving earlier and noticed the rear squeaking is I believe mostly coming from one side and it is more apparent at low speeds.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:00 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Koolsilver
I rechecked the rear spring preload yesterday. I think if anything I have too much preload so I don't think that's the case. I was driving earlier and noticed the rear squeaking is I believe mostly coming from one side and it is more apparent at low speeds.
Preload can't really be to much, all preload does is adjust your ride height.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:46 PM
Chrismx5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Preload can't really be to much, all preload does is adjust your ride height.
This could quickly trail off..

PM me if you want, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm going to quickly pick your brain.

Although the spring is preloaded, there is theoretically no change in the way the suspension will work in regards to spring rates etc?
Are there any benefits to having the spring unloaded but still captive?
Old 04-20-2015, 09:55 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Chrismx5
This could quickly trail off..

PM me if you want, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm going to quickly pick your brain.

Although the spring is preloaded, there is theoretically no change in the way the suspension will work in regards to spring rates etc?
Are there any benefits to having the spring unloaded but still captive?
Specific rate springs are the same rate thru compression.

When you add preload you effectively move the shock position to a different location when it starts its travel.

I set the suspension travel first ( damper length ) no springs on the car, bottem it out with a jack and set the range of travel I would like to have. Now I have the most up and down travel possible for the application. Now I install the spring and set height with preload.

Feel free to PM me if you want. Faster response is over facebook, I can't access the forum during the day.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:43 AM
Blurvision

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Rear oem style springs should have a preload. This is different than the ride height adjustment.
See this guide.

http://youtu.be/tWgQ-BPd6ck