Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Lowered or Stock Height?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 08:41 AM
TitaniumT8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowered or Stock Height?

Hello, all. I didn't want to create a new thread for a simple question, but I couldn't find a recent thread in which someone else had the same question that would lead to me getting a fairly quick reply.

I've had my Z for 27 months now. I bought her supposedly completely stock at 71K. She just hit 94K this morning. She's my DD for right now. Last year I took off the stock 18s and put on 19s. Rubber is 255/35/19F and 285/35/19R. My question is: from the pictures posted do I appear to be stock height or a tad lower? I've been having rubbing issues and when I go over fairly rough road I hear scraping and other bad sounds. When I go around turns fairly quick with a passenger I hear scraping in the middle of the turn.

I usually keep an empty car. No luggage and I've removed the spare and jack. The pictures posted show the car with a just-filled tank of gas, no passenger or driver, and no luggage. Thoughts? Someone at the car wash I go to said it appears the car is lowered, especially up front. Thanks.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:45 AM
TitaniumT8

Please note that I'm 230 lbs, so I understand my weight contributes significantly to the scraping; however, when I have read the 19" aggressive wheel and fat tire threads nobody has mentioned scraping or rubbing. I have not had fenders rolled- I simply would like to know if it appears the car is lowered or not. I plan on getting coilovers after my wedding and honeymoon- so after August. I don't know if that will help.

Last edited by TitaniumT8; 07-05-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:41 AM
DesertSleeper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TitaniumT8
Please note that I'm 230 lbs, so I understand my weight contributes significantly to the scraping; however, when I have read the 19" aggressive wheel and fat tire threads nobody has mentioned scraping or rubbing. I have not had fenders rolled- I simply would like to know if it appears the car is lowered or not. I plan on getting coilovers after my wedding and honeymoon- so after August. I don't know if that will help.

Looks like stock height, but u could have some mild lowering springs too. It's hard to tell with only one side shot. Sometimes when ur on uneven pavement one side may look lower than the other. Easiest way to find out, take off a wheel and look at the springs, if the spring is any other color than black then it's aftermarket/lowered. If they are black u just need to inspect a little closer for any suspension brand names on them, if u see no name and just different color dots on them they are stock.

The rubbing could be due to worn shocks as well, at 94k its time to replace them.....

Hope that helps
Old 07-05-2015, 11:03 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

A picture with the wheel removed so the springs can be seen would help a lot. Does look like a very mild drop
Old 07-05-2015, 11:28 AM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's definitely stock height, as others said may be worn out shocks. But I have 18s and gap in the wheel well is barely more than that. I'm 99.9% sure its stock height.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:32 AM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

double post, my bad

Last edited by FOOKhonda; 07-05-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:01 PM
dSpaceman

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Stock height from the looks of it. I've been thinking of lowering my Z, so I'm extra sensitive to how high stock is.

Also, is it just me or is your fender of a different shade of blue?
Old 07-05-2015, 12:06 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Keep in mind the Z is a genuine sportscar, so yes, going over a rough road you might hear some scraping from the tranny mount, exhaust or other low mounted component dragging momentarily. As for the scraping under hard cornering, your shocks have probably lost their rebound quality and are allowing the Z to wallow a bit.

But as others have said, I bet your Z is at stock ride height.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:58 PM
superlim9

Received 194 Likes on 114 Posts

Looks stock height to me. Pull off your wheels and inspect the suspension, wheels and tires for scraps/rub spots and we can better help. also any fender modification ie rolled or pulled (doesnt look like it from the photos) and also what offset are the wheels. but first thing is an inspection to see whats being rubbed.

Is it just me or does the front end look like a different shade? any vehicle history from the previous owner(s)?
Old 07-05-2015, 06:26 PM
TitaniumT8

Two people here mentioned the different shade fender. Yes, the front end is a different shade, probably due to an accident from the previous owner. I bought the car from a stealership. Even though they showed me a Carfax report there was no report of an accident. The Z was in Germany for two years while the previous owner was stationed there. I suspected he took the car on the Autobahn; however, I never had confirmation. If that's the case it's a possibility he crashed. Either way, the left front fender and front bumper are different shades. I'll be getting the entire car repainted or wrapped before winter.

I decided to take those pictures there this morning because it is definitely level ground. I will remove the wheel and check the springs, as a few of you recommended. The scraping happens pretty often, even over mild bumps. I'll check the tires and wheel well. On vacation right now so it will have to wait (jack and spare removed).

Thanks all for the responses. You guys are always helpful on this site.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:59 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

A 350z at stock height has a symmetrical fender space around the entire wheel well. Your car has this on the rear tire, but not at the front. The rear appears to be normal height (maybe dropped slightly but not more than 0.5”), and the front looks as though it is dropped a little more than the rear.

I see the paint difference at the front fender. That indicates the car was crashed. I think this is a better explanation for the rubbing you notice than the car’s drop (which is minimal). I would check the front suspension components for clearance.