Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

How to Improve the Nismo 350z?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 09:18 PM
Ace_Fox

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to Improve the Nismo 350z?

Good evening all,

Let me first say I've been a lurker on this forum for the past 6 months and the knowledge here is fantastic if people know what they're looking for. You've really helped me decide on the Nismo 350z vice the 370z or even the new STI. Just eating Ramen and drinking water until the time comes for me to ****** one up.

Secondly, I"m a previous 350z owner (had an '03 back a few years ago) and I've owned several 240sx's over the years and I've been a Nissan enthusiast since day one.

With that out of the way, the Nismo is already so well designed from the factory, that there isn't much to improve it, not to mention that the car had a limited production run, and the prices on them are still rather steep to keep out of the hands of silly ricer boys, so nobody really messes with them other than the basic bolt-ons.

But for those that do or have messed with them, how can you improve on the suspension without sacrificing and ruining what Nismo and Yamaha have done from the factory? The car pulled 0.90 G's on the skid pad when it first came out which is pretty respectable, but my buddy's 1LE Camaro can pull 1.01 G's on the skid pad. How is a muscle car out handling a Nismo?

The only thing I can think of is some sort of understeer (I haven't driven a Nismo that hard just yet). Is there anything suspension wise to bump this up to be competitive with the 1LE in terms of handling?

The only other alternative I can think of is that the tires are what is limiting the car. Increase the wheel width all around and keep a staggered setup? Make it a square setup? Can anyone shed some light on this for me please?

And I guess for what it's worth, I'd rather not run coilovers. SoCal highways aren't very forgiving. Car is being set up for autocross, track days at Willow Springs and mountain / canyon runs.

Thanks again for all your input and knowledge.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:14 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Im no expert in things nismo related. But I would think for the price difference your going to pay between a 07-08 nismo and any 03-08 normal a base track etc. You could buy the non nismo and modify it accordingly. Aka buy a track model throw on sway bars koni's springs of your choosing couple dampers here and their and bolt on's and your probably going to be just as happy with it.

If you get a base model 07 or 08. Upgrade the suspension get a differential upgrade, and upgrade the brakes wheels and tires... Your going to be saving yourself some money that way too...

I guess what im getting at is if you dont think yourI going to be happy with the way the nismo is in stock form your kinda throwing your money away on buying it then modifying it, when you could have gotten the same car for half the price and modified that one... Just my opinion though.

Gotta ask Mic though he owns both 03 and 08 nismo and he is like a wise (not so old) owl.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:17 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Lets be honest, the camaro isnt seeing the 1g on the streets.

As far as how to improve the nismo handling, how much you got to spend? A full race team can get you into the 1.5g for about 200k or so. Its all about how deep your pocket is.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:20 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

It's really no surprise that tires will make the biggest difference in improving handling. Try bolting on a set of BFGoodrich R1-S and watch the NISMO Z meet or exceed your buddy's Camaro. My own experience with these tires is on my Touring 3 race Z, and I run 275-35-18 all the way round (mostly because it's the max tire size the rules will allow). But if you want to remain in the stock class in autocross, there are always high buck (but not coilover) shocks you can find from Moton, JRZ, Koni or others, that allow a wide range of damping adjustment (and increased cornering speeds) in your Z. Of course, your most cost effective mod in this regard remains a good set of adjustable swaybars (depending on which rule set you are building towards).
Old 11-22-2015, 07:22 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...omparison.html

Here is a good link to check out if you haven't already.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:54 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I started with an '08 Base car and bolted on all the Nismo suspension - couldn't be happier with the performance and balance for street driving. Like most street cars, a bunch of understeer is built-in from the factory, but it was easy to tune most of that out by keeping the Nismo sway bar up front and adding an adjustable Hotchkis bar in the rear. Also, lighter wheels and better tires made a nice difference (Rays LMGT4's and Hankook V12 Evo2's), as well as a Quaife differential and the Brembo brakes. So, almost a Nismo, but not quite the same.

What my non-Nismo car is missing are the Yamaha chassis dampeners, the front upper fender bracing, and the welded chassis seams. Still looking for those extra parts to bolt on, but of course, I'm not doing any seam-welding.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:36 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,296 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Quick upgrade , 275/35-18 front tires and 275/35-19 rear tires. They can be run in the OEM wheels. This combo will also get rid of a lot if the understeer.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:33 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Don't want to take out too much understeer, though, as Thanksgiving is just around the corner
Old 11-22-2015, 01:08 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Its best to just leave your car alone on thanksgiving.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:24 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

This is the best advice.
Originally Posted by terrasmak
Quick upgrade , 275/35-18 front tires and 275/35-19 rear tires. They can be run in the OEM wheels. This combo will also get rid of a lot if the understeer.
I recently went with 245/40-18 front and 275/40-18 rear, and it doesn’t provide the handling I had with 245/40-18 front and 245/45-18 rear I ran before.

I really like the 275’s, but hate that I “under-sized” the fronts at 245.

I think that 9.5” wheels are enough (since they support a 275 tire width). My plan is installing 275mm wide-tires front and back.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:09 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,060 Likes on 6,523 Posts

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Lets be honest, the camaro isnt seeing the 1g on the streets.

As far as how to improve the nismo handling, how much you got to spend? A full race team can get you into the 1.5g for about 200k or so. Its all about how deep your pocket is.
dunno... if the slowmaro has the heads up display like my car does it shows lateral g's on it. when i took a turn from main rd to access rd, without going super fast (but little faster than normal) mine read .9 g

with that being said, i don't know how accurate they are

listen to drains and dk, they know their ish when it comes to this car

Last edited by travlee; 11-22-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:51 PM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by travlee
dunno... if the slowmaro has the heads up display like my car does it shows lateral g's on it. when i took a turn from main rd to access rd, without going super fast (but little faster than normal) mine read .9 g

with that being said, i don't know how accurate they are

listen to drains and dk, they know their ish when it comes to this car

I mean stock the camaro is doing 1.01g that means the driver has to be on the very limit during driving and we all know on public streets thats dangerous.

Im curious as to what your z06 does in the skid pad.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:01 PM
Ace_Fox

Thanks for all the quick responses. Good to know that is was the tires that were the limiting factor for the car.

Yes, the skid pad and the numbers that go with it are produced by professionals when pushed to the limits in a controlled environment, but having driven the car personally and pushing it somewhere close to that limit, I was pleasantly surprised at how capable it was. Nothing like big daddy GM throwing money into it's R&D division to make something work.

As for questioning my decision on wanting to purchase the Nismo; it's more of a prestige thing to me. I've already owned a Z and while it was a blast when pushed hard, I didn't really have any pride or sense of ownership with it because there were too many of them on the road. The Nismo, not quite the case. Sure, I could very well be compensating for something like you're very likely thinking, it's more or less a case of "This is what I want and I'm not settling for less". Not saying that there is anything wrong with the non Nismo models, but it's just not what I'm looking for. It's Nismo or nothing.

Thanks again for all your help guys. Keep your eyes open here in a few months when I'm finally ready to join the Z ranks once again.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:24 PM
turboed350z

There were thousands of nismos made. Not exactly exclusive...
Old 11-22-2015, 05:33 PM
Ace_Fox

Originally Posted by turboed350z
There were thousands of nismos made. Not exactly exclusive...
Not exactly common either, especially with low-ish miles and no mods.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:40 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

I don't think most people modify their Nismo, or more accurately most people shouldn't. Thats why if your plans are to modify I suggested just getting a non Nismo... But surely if thats the car for you than get it. Im a fan of all Z cars in their various trims.

If I was in the market for one myself I would just get a base model 6 speed.

I would miss my heated leather seats but I would have mad money left over to rice it out maximum capacity.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:53 PM
Ace_Fox

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
I don't think most people modify their Nismo, or more accurately most people shouldn't. Thats why if your plans are to modify I suggested just getting a non Nismo... But surely if thats the car for you than get it.
I've sat here for a few minutes trying to think of a reasonable reply that doesn't sound like a bratty teenager.

I respect the Nismo for what it is, not seeing it on equal terms as an Enthusiast or Track model. I'm a Nismo fan and a car enthusiast, not at all into the scene. I'm not doing this to impress anybody but myself because this is the car I've been wanting for a long time.

The mods wouldn't be anything excessive or over that top that detract from the value of the car or even so much as change the personality of it. No turbos, no crazy cams, no slammage for the hellaflush life, bro. Just some quality bolt-on parts and an UpRev tune, then call it a day. Plus, hold on to the stock parts and revert it to stock if need be. Takes like 20 mins to unbolt an exhaust and swap on a new one, probably the same time as it is to return it to stock.
The following users liked this post:
terrasmak (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 06:34 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Ace_Fox
I've sat here for a few minutes trying to think of a reasonable reply that doesn't sound like a bratty teenager.

I respect the Nismo for what it is, not seeing it on equal terms as an Enthusiast or Track model. I'm a Nismo fan and a car enthusiast, not at all into the scene. I'm not doing this to impress anybody but myself because this is the car I've been wanting for a long time.

The mods wouldn't be anything excessive or over that top that detract from the value of the car or even so much as change the personality of it. No turbos, no crazy cams, no slammage for the hellaflush life, bro. Just some quality bolt-on parts and an UpRev tune, then call it a day. Plus, hold on to the stock parts and revert it to stock if need be. Takes like 20 mins to unbolt an exhaust and swap on a new one, probably the same time as it is to return it to stock.
Do you run the canyons of SD? If so and your purpose is to have fun, look at my tire suggestion. Next would be adding a hair if front camber with adjustable front arms. Last would be a different set of wheels

All my opinion, a few ways to get to the same goal. This would be my direction
Old 11-22-2015, 06:47 PM
Ace_Fox

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Do you run the canyons of SD? If so and your purpose is to have fun, look at my tire suggestion.direction
I do and yes that is my goal. When I had my S14 I'd run Palomar about once a month and some other roads up in North and East county. Fun is the primary goal while still being able to beat the other guy if it got that serious.

....And putting my friend's Camaro to shame
Old 11-22-2015, 10:16 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Ace_Fox
I do and yes that is my goal. When I had my S14 I'd run Palomar about once a month and some other roads up in North and East county. Fun is the primary goal while still being able to beat the other guy if it got that serious.

....And putting my friend's Camaro to shame
Hankook RS3 in the tire sizes I mentioned, you will have a completely different car.

Brake pads will be next on your list after tires.

Quick Reply: How to Improve the Nismo 350z?