Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

'07 Base brake weight vs Brembo weight

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 10:54 AM
jledford

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Post '07 Base brake weight vs Brembo weight

I posted this in my build/intro thread in the autocross forum but thought others here might like to know this information.

My google-fu was week and I couldn't find anything on this site about actual weights between HR base model brakes and Brembos. During the Black Friday sales I got some of the Z1 2 piece Brembo rotors and SS lines to go with the used Brembo calipers I had purchased off this forum a while ago. I finally got some time to start putting them on the car this week.

I wanted to know if the money spent on the rotors and such was worth it. I know Z1 claims weight savings on their 2 piece rotors over stock Brembo rotors but couldn't find much information on the weight of the stock '07 brake setup. So I measure parts coming off the car and parts going on the car using a bathroom scale and if light enough (<10lbs) my kitchen scale. Here's what I've found:
  • Brembo Calipers no pads (ea): Front: 7lb 2oz Rear: 3lb 8oz
  • Stock '07 Calipers no pads (ea): Front: 14.5lbs Rear: 6lbs 2oz
  • Z1 two piece rotors (ea): Front: 16.0lbs Rear: 15.0lbs
  • Stock '07 86k mile rotors (ea): Front: 21.5lbs Rear: 13.5lbs
Doing the math in the front I saved 7lbs 6oz per caliper and 5.5lbs per rotor. The rear saved 2lbs 10oz per caliper but gained 1.5lbs per rotor. The rear rotors are substantially bigger in diameter (have to cut the backing plate to fit) so I assumed they would be heavier but minimized the weight gained with the 2 piece (Z1 claims 2.5lbs lighter for their 2pc rear rotor vs a factory Brembo rotor so it could have been 5lbs heavier total in the rear with standard Brembo rotors).
  • Overall total weight savings front: 25lbs 12oz
  • Overall total weight savings rear: 2lbs 4oz
All of this unsprung weight, ~28lbs total, so take that for what it's worth.

I like to do HPDE/PDX/track days and hope to start doing them in the Z this year so that was another reason for the upgrade. I hope the weight savings might help a little in auto-x as well.

I did weigh the Z1 SS lines and hardware at 1lb 2oz but didn't measure all the OEM lines and hardware to see if there was a difference.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:34 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Wait brembos calipers are lighter?

I would have guessed they were heavier..

Are these the OEM brembo or the race pack like 6 piston ones?
Old 01-13-2017, 11:40 AM
jledford

Originally Posted by CK_32

Yes, the Brembo calipers are much lighter! I could tell just holding them vs the stock calipers in my hand before even weighing them.

These were OEM Brembo, pics of install here

https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-r...l#post10852340
Old 01-13-2017, 12:08 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by CK_32

The Brembo are cast aluminum, the base calipers are steel.
The following users liked this post:
pyshin (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 12:09 PM
jledford

I was thinking it was aluminum vs steel but wasn't 100% sure about it.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:18 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Ahhh yea never held them my self.

Assumed both were steel and just by the larger profile assumed they were heavier.

Good to know. I thought they were just more $$ due to design and stop performance.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:23 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

The bigger difference you'd feel is in the lighter rotors, though. They're both unstrung weight, but it's rotational mass that makes a bigger difference.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:41 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Thats interesting, ive got a set of brembo's sitting in my basement and I thought they felt heavier than the stock ones on my 04. I need new lines, rotors and pads, and motivation to put them on.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:31 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

No answer to the original question but an astounding side fact... I removed the calipers on my Benz to check the overall condition when I first got it and was ASTOUNDED by how light they were.

Forged aluminum and probably about same weight (as measured with my calibrated hands ) as my Z's non-Brems.

8-pots loaded with four pads per caliper and 360mm two-piece rotors. And these are just "standard AMG". Apparently there was a performance option ($14k!!) on later year SL55/65 that UPGRADED this setup to even lighter calipers, lighter, larger diameter rotors (along with some other sport features overall). Probably enough stopping power for a loaded Freightliner...

Funny thing I find about this is that 95%+ of the "030 performance option" buyers will NEVER use them to their advantage/potential. But SWAG FACTOR, oh swoon.

Last edited by MicVelo; 01-13-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:06 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

I did the same thing, but forgot to weigh the rear brakes. I got ~13.4 lbs weight savings on each front wheel including the pads. Definitely noticed the weight savings.

I do have some amazingly bad screeching in the rear I am pretty sure is due to the fact I dont have the OE shims. I won't be able to test this hypothesis until it warms up and I get the car out of storage.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:12 AM
jledford

Originally Posted by rancor
I do have some amazingly bad screeching in the rear I am pretty sure is due to the fact I dont have the OE shims. I won't be able to test this hypothesis until it warms up and I get the car out of storage.
Assuming you cut the rear dust shields when going to the Brembos?

If so make sure it didn't get bent at all. I had a squeal backing out of the driveway and it was the dust shields. Even though I cut them and they looked good when I torqued the wheel down and everything was in place they rubbed. I just had to get some pliers and pull the shield away from the rotors in a couple of spots.

I put Carbotech pads in mine, no shims came with them?
Old 01-16-2017, 08:56 AM
rancor

Originally Posted by jledford
Assuming you cut the rear dust shields when going to the Brembos?

If so make sure it didn't get bent at all. I had a squeal backing out of the driveway and it was the dust shields. Even though I cut them and they looked good when I torqued the wheel down and everything was in place they rubbed. I just had to get some pliers and pull the shield away from the rotors in a couple of spots.

I put Carbotech pads in mine, no shims came with them?
The rears were cut and I has the same problem at first but everything is bent out of the way. I will check again as the problem only happens when everything is warmed up and I am braking at low speed 15-0. It's enough to make your ears bleed so somthing is wrong.

I am running the carbotech AX6 pads so I expected some noise just not as much as I have. The OEM rears are supposed to have shims so I figured I might try them if I can't find anything else rubbing.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:24 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Sooo while talking about brembo brakes has anyone gotten the remanufactured brembos from napa or autozone or anyone? They seem ridiculously inexpensive... And my bleeder screw stripped out so im considering giving them a shot.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:30 AM
jledford

Originally Posted by rancor
The rears were cut and I has the same problem at first but everything is bent out of the way. I will check again as the problem only happens when everything is warmed up and I am braking at low speed 15-0. It's enough to make your ears bleed so somthing is wrong.

I am running the carbotech AX6 pads so I expected some noise just not as much as I have. The OEM rears are supposed to have shims so I figured I might try them if I can't find anything else rubbing.
Ahh, what you're describing is just the wonderful world of race pads. I had AX6 pads on my last car, E36 M3, and they did the same thing. The ones I have now on my Z also squeal when warm and slowing down at low speeds. I would say nothing is wrong, it's just the pads in my experience.

On a different note, do you have any ABS problems with the AX6 pads? I just did my first auto-x after switching to the Brembos, rotors, and AX6 pads. And it feels like if I even breathe hard on the pedal when auto-x it goes straight to ABS. This never happened with these pads on my M3, in fact it's the best braking car I've driven. I don't see how with the Brembo calipers, nice rotors, and the same pads on a car with less front camber and bigger tires I can't brake as good as the M3?

I've read about the "ice mode" people discuss and sometimes it feels like that, but most of the time it just feels like the ABS is coming in way too soon.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:31 AM
jledford

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Sooo while talking about brembo brakes has anyone gotten the remanufactured brembos from napa or autozone or anyone? They seem ridiculously inexpensive... And my bleeder screw stripped out so im considering giving them a shot.
I have not. I bought my OEM setup used from another member here.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:48 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Im looking into it... They are only like $115 from napa with a $85 core charge. Im sure they will come sandblasted and will need paint but seems like a bargain. I was going to pay $45 just for the kit to rebuild them myself but it made me curious when I found out how cheap they are...

Considering I have $850 tied up in these so far people should know they can get them cheaper and rebuilt through a chain auto parts store.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:57 PM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

^^^ Make sure what NAPA is providing you is actually OE Brembo, seems like dcains went the same route you are contemplating with good results based on this thread: https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...-calipers.html
dboyzalter (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 01:03 PM
rancor

Originally Posted by jledford
Ahh, what you're describing is just the wonderful world of race pads. I had AX6 pads on my last car, E36 M3, and they did the same thing. The ones I have now on my Z also squeal when warm and slowing down at low speeds. I would say nothing is wrong, it's just the pads in my experience.

On a different note, do you have any ABS problems with the AX6 pads? I just did my first auto-x after switching to the Brembos, rotors, and AX6 pads. And it feels like if I even breathe hard on the pedal when auto-x it goes straight to ABS. This never happened with these pads on my M3, in fact it's the best braking car I've driven. I don't see how with the Brembo calipers, nice rotors, and the same pads on a car with less front camber and bigger tires I can't brake as good as the M3?

I've read about the "ice mode" people discuss and sometimes it feels like that, but most of the time it just feels like the ABS is coming in way too soon.
I hope most of it can be fixed by the OE shims as it's a $250 fix (1521/GS-1) but I'm not holding out much hope.

I haven't had any ABS problems with the AX6 pads they do take a lot less force than the previous HPS pads to produce the same braking performance. Abs seems to kick in at around the same point compared to the previous pads. I do sometimes seem to feel the slots in the rotors but it's different than the ABS and only under light braking.

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
I have the "remanufactured" front calipers from A1 cardone. Pretty sure everyone except for centric rebuilt come from them. As you are expecting with the price they are an copy/equivalent replacement part. They seem to be working fine for me but they do come unpainted. This would mean you need to repaint the other three to match as as there is no way to get the orginal color. If you like the OE gold I would recommend VHT burnt copper as the closest high temp paint match.

Check out the willwood 10mm x 1.0 - Bleed Screw Kit. I am not sure if that's the correct size, they do make one that fits. It should should keep you from wrecking a caliper.

Last edited by rancor; 01-16-2017 at 01:10 PM.
dboyzalter (01-16-2017)