Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Power differences in years??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 07:06 PM
f1reskies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power differences in years??

I read in a few posts that there are power differences between the 03-04 models and the 05-06 models. Someone also said that the 03s and 04s pull harder. Is this true and is the power noticeable?
Old 03-25-2007, 07:12 PM
jOeL350z

ive got an 06 now but when i pre-traded my S2k, they gave me an 04z...il be honest, i cant really tell the difference...i guess because i didnt get an opportunity to drive it like one after another!!!...im pretty sure some people here will say that certain year is faster than the other...i wish i can tell u man!!! I truly cant feel the difference
Old 03-25-2007, 08:01 PM
RBlover69

Okay first, you should search because this is preety common knowledge
but ill explain

teh 287 motor 04-06(auto) (most commonly modded) Good tq curve down low with a 6.5k rev limiter but tapers off on the top end
the 300 motor (7k reving motors foun in 35 anni and 06)(And S1 engine)
teh revup motor has a 7k rev limiter and has less tq thent the 287 but has more topend power and has 30% different internals the main thing being VTC.
The 306 HR motor is the current dual intake TB motor with 80% changed internals with 90% of its power avaible before 7k This motor is the end result fo the DE since these are all based on the DE we can preety much see the evolution of the deck and the motor

The next motor will probably be the bored 3.7HR which offered even more top end and a higher tq curve

And the lesser known 3.8RS motor which is virtually unknown in the USA. Im not sure what are the specs there out already as this car is already availble in japan but the specs alude me. I take it this motor will be in a boosted app in the GTR while the Z will take the 3.7HR.

Nissan is however rather changing motors rather quickly so as the REV-UP motor actually looking like a beta for the HR introduction VTC and new heads having a limitied production date. The HR seems to also have its days numbered as the G37 looms the 3.7 screams to the Z more and more . There are even talks i here about the 3.8 for a limited run but this is all speculation.

All stem from the VQ35DE preety much and all are amazaing engines either way you go. Each platfrom is boost freindly (minus what we know of the 3.8 and 3.7) And should be a good choice either way

Currently the 300revup has shown as a falter to either VTC or something else to burn oil more so then the 287. This right now is not understood with even nissan or not really disclosed but all other motors besides fuel recalls are up to par. That should explain it for ya. Also 06+models none brembro have larger calipers also have speed sensitive steering and revised shocks and springs with more dampening and a higher stance. Also front bumper on 06+ are higher. The newer 07s sport identical cosmetic designs of the 06s plus the hood buldge accomodating the dual intake higher set HR.

Last edited by RBlover69; 03-25-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:07 PM
flintgauge

yep, that about sums it up.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:23 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Complete specifications for each year and each model can be found here: http://www.nissanhelp.com/.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Casanova

2005 Ftmfw
Old 03-25-2007, 10:47 PM
MeetJoeAsian

Originally Posted by RBlover69
Okay first, you should search because this is preety common knowledge
but ill explain

teh 287 motor 04-06(auto) (most commonly modded) Good tq curve down low with a 6.5k rev limiter but tapers off on the top end
the 300 motor (7k reving motors foun in 35 anni and 06)(And S1 engine)
teh revup motor has a 7k rev limiter and has less tq thent the 287 but has more topend power and has 30% different internals the main thing being VTC.
The 306 HR motor is the current dual intake TB motor with 80% changed internals with 90% of its power avaible before 7k This motor is the end result fo the DE since these are all based on the DE we can preety much see the evolution of the deck and the motor

The next motor will probably be the bored 3.7HR which offered even more top end and a higher tq curve

And the lesser known 3.8RS motor which is virtually unknown in the USA. Im not sure what are the specs there out already as this car is already availble in japan but the specs alude me. I take it this motor will be in a boosted app in the GTR while the Z will take the 3.7HR.

Nissan is however rather changing motors rather quickly so as the REV-UP motor actually looking like a beta for the HR introduction VTC and new heads having a limitied production date. The HR seems to also have its days numbered as the G37 looms the 3.7 screams to the Z more and more . There are even talks i here about the 3.8 for a limited run but this is all speculation.

All stem from the VQ35DE preety much and all are amazaing engines either way you go. Each platfrom is boost freindly (minus what we know of the 3.8 and 3.7) And should be a good choice either way

Currently the 300revup has shown as a falter to either VTC or something else to burn oil more so then the 287. This right now is not understood with even nissan or not really disclosed but all other motors besides fuel recalls are up to par. That should explain it for ya. Also 06+models none brembro have larger calipers also have speed sensitive steering and revised shocks and springs with more dampening and a higher stance. Also front bumper on 06+ are higher. The newer 07s sport identical cosmetic designs of the 06s plus the hood buldge accomodating the dual intake higher set HR.
yup what he said!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 05:30 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your talking about the "power" in the numbers, then the newer models are faster and described extremly well in the post above.

If your asking if they pull harder it is possible. Most of difference in quickness is result of each year getting heavier and heavier. the '03 is known to be the lightest out of the years and they say it is the quickest. I would not take that to the bank considering the new output #'s of the '07HR. Modded NA '03s are outdone by a MREV2 and Spacer on a new rev up engine. How much those numbers really matter on the street is still debatable, but i would say all the years have slightly different advantages and dissadvantages. But to answer the simple question are the '03s "faster" than the '05s? Pound for Pound they are pretty even, the difference will be in the driver.

btw, i have an '03 base and as much as i would like to be biased and say "my 03 is the fastest" i cant because it is such a debatable subject. #'s on the dyno and racing on a track are different worlds and all resorts back to how experienced and skilled the driver is.

Last edited by HondaKiller; 03-26-2007 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:56 AM
RBlover69

^ agreed lol. 03s are lightest platfrom especially the 03 base model. Which was used alot by race teams etc. I would say you cant go wrong with either model or either year. A boosted Z is still a boosted Z. And the current HR is not mod friendly at the moment besides previous use of exhausts. So i say it all depends on what ur doing homie .lol