Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Smacked into a curb (im good coach dont worry im good)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Waveypapo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smacked into a curb (im good coach dont worry im good)

2004 350z touring stock suspension
It's been a rainy day today in miami and the skys cleared up when I headed out to work im taking a turn that isnt sharp at all that I take everyday the speed limits 30 and i took it at 25 theres cars on both lanes and one in front of me. All of a sudden the back end slides out everything cuts of and im doing 360's,hoping I and whoever is next to me doesnt get hurt. Then I finally smash onto the sidewalk.
No idea how i didnt hit anyone no idea how any of this happened im 110% sure I wasnt trying to be takashi on the curb. Now i keep hearing weird skreeches comingfrom the car when i stop(brakes). Can anyone help me on the possible cause and what I should be looking out for now?

Only bit of cosmetic damage dont mind the ugly wheels and frembros

Last edited by Waveypapo; 12-02-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

How many miles on the front and rear tires?
Old 12-02-2014, 03:06 PM
Waveypapo

Originally Posted by Spike100
How many miles on the front and rear tires?
Not sure they were all used from a tire shop but all have life in them
Old 12-02-2014, 04:32 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Waveypapo
I ask about the tires because worn tires are the culprit nearly 99.99% of the time.

If your car slipped-out, it’s probably that you were driving on worn tires.
--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 12-03-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:38 PM
verdict.
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 648 Likes on 491 Posts

Moved to Maintenance & Repair
Old 12-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Emski

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
I ask about the tires because worn tires are the culprit nearly 99.99% of the time.

If your car slipped-out, it’s probably that you were driving on worn tires. I say this because worn tires are the culprit nearly 99.99% of the time.

--Spike
I think....I think my sarcasm detector is going off...
Old 12-02-2014, 06:42 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Glad you're ok.-

You know about tread wear indicators, yes? If not, search. They tell you when your water channels are gone and you may hydro.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:56 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Get the car to the mechanic with a lift, difficult to say what you damaged without seeing underneath
Old 12-03-2014, 01:38 PM
JuniorDeJesus

same thing happened to me not that long ago, the only thing that i ended up having to replace was my right side camber arm. i actually have a picture of my camber arm when it snapped in half. ive gotten everything else checked and its all good. the rim .... well im getting new wheels soon so idc really
Old 12-03-2014, 01:48 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Waveypapo
Why on earth would you buy used tires? You have no idea how old they are and the longer they have been around, the harder the rubber becomes. Get yourself a new set of tires and your problems will probably vanish.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:04 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
Why on earth would you buy used tires? You have no idea how old they are and the longer they have been around, the harder the rubber becomes. Get yourself a new set of tires and your problems will probably vanish.
Yeah I used to buy used tires when I was younger. It's both worth the risk.

You can have a blowout from any issues the previous person had.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:16 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
Yeah I used to buy used tires when I was younger. It's not worth the risk.

You can have a blowout from any issues the previous person had.
Fixt, np
Old 12-04-2014, 08:14 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

So close to the 1 year mark. Post Thanksgiving residual Duganism.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:16 PM
oldschool350z

Originally Posted by jhc
Fixt, np
Lol auto correct in my phone. It's been quite embarrassing especially when bad words are saved
Old 12-06-2014, 06:26 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

To the person who said "why on earth would you buy used tires? You have no idea how old they are?"...

Just FYI to help:

DOT codes on the side of the tire tell you exactly when the tire was made, so if it's under ten years old you should be ok in general as long as there is good tread life left and you don't drive in a way that endangers people.

You used to be able to find good deals on used tires all the time....but it's harder now in this economy as everyone is shopping for deals so they sell more quickly...but...used tires are safe and smart as long as you drive safe and are smart in what you purchase. I've bought both..used and new....and there's no difference if the tread life is the same and they're not too old.

Oh...and you're not going to "have a blowout" any more randomly than you could with a new tire...which....doesn't really happen. Experts agree that even patched tires are safe, as long as the area patched isn't on the sidewall or very close to the sidewall. And yes...I've bought patched tires as well and never had a problem of any kind. Just have to know what is safe and what isn't.

Hope this helps,

Saved

Last edited by savedbygrace; 12-06-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:20 AM
oldschool350z

Originally Posted by savedbygrace
To the person who said "why on earth would you buy used tires? You have no idea how old they are?"...

Just FYI to help:

DOT codes on the side of the tire tell you exactly when the tire was made, so if it's under ten years old you should be ok in general as long as there is good tread life left and you don't drive in a way that endangers people.

You used to be able to find good deals on used tires all the time....but it's harder now in this economy as everyone is shopping for deals so they sell more quickly...but...used tires are safe and smart as long as you drive safe and are smart in what you purchase. I've bought both..used and new....and there's no difference if the tread life is the same and they're not too old.

Oh...and you're not going to "have a blowout" any more randomly than you could with a new tire...which....doesn't really happen. Experts agree that even patched tires are safe, as long as the area patched isn't on the sidewall or very close to the sidewall. And yes...I've bought patched tires as well and never had a problem of any kind. Just have to know what is safe and what isn't.

Hope this helps,

Saved
It's not about how "old" they are. It's about the use of them. At least in my area the tire shops that sell used tires are pretty shady in downtown. I would never trust craigslist as there is no accountability if the tire were to shred down the road and cause damage.

The date code is stamped into the sidewall, any idiot can figure out how old a tire is. What most people overlook are issues. I personally would never run a tire more then 6 years odds are the rubber compound has started to break down and dry rot will set in if it hasn't. This will be more prevalent if the tires were just sitting without being warmed up by driving.

Tires incorrectly patched, dry rot and of course uneven wear (due to camber, bad alignment or spirited driving). I don't think it's worth saving some money to jeopardize one's safety.

Last edited by oldschool350z; 12-07-2014 at 05:23 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:12 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Not to take this too far OT, but patched tires are NOT safe (depending on their use). If this were a forum for econoboxes, then, yes, they might be safe. But for a powerful RWD sportscar that's racetrack worthy, than NO. Patched tires can suffer rapid failure if exposed to the kind of heat and use that is common on the racetrack. Loss of a tire at speed can result in a sudden loss of traction and control at high-speed.

So make your choices, boys and girls. Buying used or patched tires means sustained performance driving is out of the question.