Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Dyno results with Vortech SC pre and post Kinetix SSV install

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 06:05 AM
Rizlam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno results with Vortech SC pre and post Kinetix SSV install

OK, here's the story so far:

October - Vortech fitted, not tuned, early days and taking it easy.

Dynos (at the HUBS)

Max pressure : 7.11 PSI

Then after 1000 miles of running it in, it opened up nicely. Here was the dyno from the shoot out I did a fortnight ago.

Dyno (Crank HP calculated from figure taken at the WHEELS)

And then I got the Kinetix SSV fitted, which has helped the breathing. Bare in mind there has been NO TUNING yet, they've gone with the factory map which errs on the side of rich for safety. Here's the map after the plenum was fitted:

Max pressure : 8.53 PSI

Here's a few rubbish cameraphone shots of the Kinetix unit, fitted :

General feeling is the car is more refined, and more responsive, since fitting the new plenum. Noise is barely effected - I can here a low sort of whooshing noise at mid revs, but that's it. The big winner is torque, and you can feel it, especially when putting the power down from a cruising speed. Had a little play with an M3 on the way home (on a private road); and from a cruising 80mph upwards ... byeee! :eek

The car is back in January for tuning. As you can see, there's a big **** hole at 5000 revs that needs fuel mapping but we've now got the software to do it and the map to work off, so I'm looking forward to releasing an extra 20 - 30hp at the top end and giving the car a smoother fuel map in the mid revs. (see the AFM readings for details)

Stephen
Old 12-23-2005, 06:14 AM
dimebagdolf

VERY NICE!!!

Nice work. Esp, the M3 kill.

I didn't even know about this plenum. I'll have to look into them.

Thanks for posting.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:04 AM
jpc350

Rizlam,, when you say no tuning yet you are referring to prior to the SSV install but some tuning post SSV install correct?? And more tuning to come.. Like to also see the results..
Old 12-23-2005, 08:03 AM
Rizlam

No tuning either side
Old 12-23-2005, 10:59 AM
gersteinp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The HP curve seems about right with fairly steady increase to redline but the torque curve is way off from ideal--peaky at about 5K but dropping off after that. With a properly tuned Vortech, you should have a pretty flat torque curve from about 5K to redline. When you correct the extreme richness starting at 4.7K on up, you'll see a massive gain in torque at the higher RPM range. The difference between rich (sub 11) and perfect (about 11.5 to 12) is dramatic.

If you're running the standard pulley, then you've got a great engine making lots of power even with the bad out-of-the-box tune.

Now-- I don't really see much diffence due to the manifold. Am I missing something?

Good luck!
Old 12-23-2005, 11:10 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the torque seems to have risen a steady 4-5whp across the board

the real test though, unfotunately is a fully tuned vortech then putting on the SSV and fully tuning it.

It's still worth it though IMO for the vortech setup cause there's not much options for running a plenum with a strut bar. 10 lbs less on top of the engine is good, and it looks nice.

BTW Rizlam, are those stillen side skirts on your car? I like them - [EDIT: oops, they're the INGS sides ]

Last edited by sentry65; 12-23-2005 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Call me a noob or stupid _ neither of which I think I am, but I am confused.

You installed the SC, ran on a dynopack...later dyno'd on a dynodynamics...and after the SSV install, you dyno'd on a dynopack again??? and now are trying to compare #'s???

let me first state, I am about as big a hater of anythng with the name kinetix on it as you can get. >> Got the displeasure of working on car fitted with kinetix plastic plenum and resonated test pipes.

That said, I will not deny the kinetix SSV looks decent and may in fact provide gains, just that the way you are attempting to show them is lost in the dynograph confusion you posted above.

Again, call me stupid or a noob, but I am not seeing anthing beyond a 17 hp gain and basically no TQ increase when comparing dynos from two different types of dynos - I don't think the first runs on the dynopack are a good base to go off, nor do I think it is accurate to compare the dynocharts from different dynos.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:02 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any chance you could return to that DynoDynamics dyno and run the Kinetix SSV on that? Comparisons from two different types of dynos dont really tell us anything at all. Thanks for sharing, though.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:47 PM
prescience

It was a RR day on DynoDynamics but the comparison would be nice for sure. I remain sceptical myself; and unless I am mistaken without ANY tuning. i.e. Stock Vortech map.

A good result if you consider that

Last edited by prescience; 12-23-2005 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:08 PM
Rizlam

I'll try and simplify things... here's an overlay of the two graphs.

For those of you thinking this is pointless, as I should be showing a dyno for a fully tuned Vortech system pre SSV and then another dyno for a fully tuned system post SSV, basically I wasn't about to pay the tuner to do it twice, and also (and more importantly) my tuner has only just got their hands on the software to actually tune it, so it was academic anyway!

I only posted it out of interest - not bragging rights. I thought people might be curious. Anyway, happy Christmas
Old 12-23-2005, 03:14 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's interesting, but the dyno dynamics dyno probably dynos lower anyway.

I wasn't saying you should have paid to have it tuned twice. Just saying we really can't reach a conclusion really unless that were to happen.

I was actually looking at the wrong graphs then. I was comparing the green line to the red line
Old 12-23-2005, 05:25 PM
BlackTuner

Not to be picky or anything those Dynapack plots you DIN correction rather than at least having a SAE correction.

Thanks,
Old 12-24-2005, 09:46 AM
Rizlam

OK - point taken - but the point of this thread was to show that, using the same dyno on the same car (ignoring the shootout dyno in the middle) the car at 6500rpm had increased by approx 50bhp and 40 lb/ft torque. There might be other environmental considerations between the two - such as the much colder day for the 2nd dyno and the fact the kit had bedded in - but that it fundamentally showed a big increase.

The accuracy of dyno results can be argued ad infinitem but the key point is that it went up, and there's a truck load of stuff on here saying that the Kinetix SSV is a purely cosmetic item with no performance increase. My response to that is; 'not in my experience!'.